The Latest "Who's Buying Who" Thread

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance

Several months ago, Western Digi was apparently trying to acquire Fujitsu's hard drive business (enterprise and notebook) and failed to come up with the cash or satisfy Fujitsu.

Now, for unknown reasons, the rumourmill has it that Toshiba is making a bid for Fujistu's hard drive business.

Other related rumourmill news has it that Sun is going to have to get rid of something. Some say it needs to sell off SPARC, or dump some Sun division, or something else to keep the red ink from flowing after the recent market meltdown. Well, guess who is a SPARC licensee??? Yep. Fujitsu. If Fujistu wants to quit being a SPARC licensee and become the owner of SPARC, it needs to come up with some cash. The easiest way to come up with some cash would be to sell off its hard drive manufacturing. So, I'd say expect something to happen with Fujitsu in a few weeks / months.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Pay for SPARC? My impression was the SPARC is an Open design anyway--no license fees. You want to design a SPARC processor. Go right ahead. Mind you, testing, fabrication, sales infrastructure etc. aren't part of the deal, so maybe Sun want to divest themselves of the hardware division. BTW the latest offereings from Sun (M x000 series) use UltraSPARC 64 VII's, which is a Fujitsu design and not a Sun design ;)

Pardon the pun, but at the moment Sun find themselves between a Rock :rofl:and a hard place ;)

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Several months ago, Western Digi was apparently trying to acquire Fujitsu's hard drive business (enterprise and notebook) and failed to come up with the cash or satisfy Fujitsu.

Now, for unknown reasons, the rumourmill has it that Toshiba is making a bid for Fujistu's hard drive business.

Other related rumourmill news has it that Sun is going to have to get rid of something. Some say it needs to sell off SPARC, or dump some Sun division, or something else to keep the red ink from flowing after the recent market meltdown. Well, guess who is a SPARC licensee??? Yep. Fujitsu. If Fujistu wants to quit being a SPARC licensee and become the owner of SPARC, it needs to come up with some cash. The easiest way to come up with some cash would be to sell off its hard drive manufacturing. So, I'd say expect something to happen with Fujitsu in a few weeks / months.

Almost a done deal today, according to electronista (they don't name their source).

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/02/17/fujitsu.sells.hdd.to.toshi/

Fujitsu this morning said it has struck a deal to transfer its hard drive business to Toshiba. A memorandum between the two will see Fujitsu spin off its storage efforts into a separate company and let Toshiba buy an 80 percent stake in the project, with Fujitsu eventually letting go of the remaining 20 percent.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/02/17/fujitsu.sells.hdd.to.toshi/