THE SHOCK! THE HORROR! READ THE FRONT PAGE!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
All this for nothing! Back to a big 0 total team units processed.

I'll go find a bridge were I can through myself from. After, I'll download the F@h client 3.0 and start back from scratch.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Sorry to hear you may have lost some stats (maybe they'll transfer the credits from one project to another?), but personally I'm glad to hear they are merging. There seem to be a lot of similarly named and targetted projects out there - from my perspective this just makes it easier to choose which project to work with.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The F@h client 3.0 hasn't been released yet. Hopefully, it will be easier to deal with than the 0.99 client of the Genome@home Project (I had no problem with it, but some people would have wanted many additional features).

The folks of the Panda Project must have appreciated our contribution, they even copied us for their new forum.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
But Coug, You are not going to crunch any slower. If we jump on 3.0 right when it comes out we can be in the race from the start. No late start penalty. They also have a Mac client.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I have a suggestion for the main StorageForum.net page:

Would it be possible to include a list of the current StorageForum.net members who are running Something@Home and what systems (CPU and OS) they are running clients on? Having only a dual PII-400 myself, I think joining any such team would just make me wish even more that I had the money for a computer upgrade, so ... seeing what systems all of you are running those clients on would at least allow me to dream about upgrading someday. And just in general I'm sort of curious to see what type of systems are required to generate those result rates.

Handruin

Administrator
i said:

Would it be possible to include a list of the current StorageForum.net members who are running Something@Home and what systems (CPU and OS) they are running clients on? Having only a dual PII-400 myself, I think joining any such team would just make me wish even more that I had the money for a computer upgrade, so ... seeing what systems all of you are running those clients on would at least allow me to dream about upgrading someday. And just in general I'm sort of curious to see what type of systems are required to generate those result rates.

That is a great idea i, and it has been suggested already and thought is in process. If I could ever get off my butt and finish a bunch of projects, this exact idea will be coming soon to a StorageForum near you. And you, and you and you and you and...

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
It does seem ironic that the @home project that many switched to is now closing before UD.

Have fun, since they all are in the name of good causes.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
P5-133XL said:
It does seem ironic that the @home project that many switched to is now closing before UD.

Have fun, since they all are in the name of good causes.

"Closing" is not the correct word. Consolidation would be more appropriate. I belive that you could run either project with the new (upcoming) client and stats for both projects are consolidated.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Guys, from what I've read, you (we) can actually stick to the current v0.99 of G@h even if we shouldn't expect any client upgrades.

However, it's better to start up a new F@h team right away to have the edge over other switching teams as well.

What do you have in mind? I'm ready for (part-time, as always) action... 8)

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
i said:

Would it be possible to include a list of the current StorageForum.net members who are running Something@Home and what systems (CPU and OS) they are running clients on?

-AMD Athlon 1.33GHz
-ASUS A7V266-E
-512MB PC2100
-Windows XP Professional

Sol

Storage is cool
statistics from G@h Classic will not be integrated into F@h3.0 and vice-versa. The two will exist as separate distributed computing research projects.

Looks like stats will not be consolidated from this. I agree with Prof though. Isn't the storage forum team one of the fatsest producing teams? Starting again will really save us time.
It would be better still if they had an OS2 client for Tanin and Tea to use though.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Sol said:
statistics from G@h Classic will not be integrated into F@h3.0 and vice-versa. The two will exist as separate distributed computing research projects.

Looks like stats will not be consolidated from this. I agree with Prof though. Isn't the storage forum team one of the fatsest producing teams? Starting again will really save us time.
It would be better still if they had an OS2 client for Tanin and Tea to use though.

I did not mean that the results obtained from .99 would carry over into 3.0 stats. I meant that @home stats would be @home stats and it wouldn't matter which project you ran. From theFolding 3.0 FAQ:
We have integrated Genome@Home into the F@H infrastructure. Soon, the F@H 3.x client will allow one to choose which project (and eventually, sub parts of the project).
Essentially, everything else will remain the same. Unlike our big jump from 1.0 to 2.0, going from 2.0 to 3.0 will not be a big deal. Mainly, we're adding a lot of new functionality (especially on the science side), but nothing significant changes to how you use it (eg no changes to the stats).

This may imply that Folding 2.0 results will not be dumped when 3 comes out.
The beta will also be posted on this page.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
For now, what our current 0.99 client compute leads to a dead end. However, the currently available F@h client 2.19 doesn't allow us to compute for the Genome project either (only the F@h 3.0 will), so unless we switch from G@h to F@h, there's no point switching right now.

I'll start a poll about this.