The storageforum Audi S4 Thread

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That's an even crazier birthday gift which also looks nothing like a Toyota...unless if you simply compare four wheels, a couple of headlights, etc.

In overall shape, it doesn't look that different from a Camry to me. the grill on the front is the only thing that seems distinctive. It's a pretty generic-looking vehicle.

Mercutio

Perhaps it would be better to say that it's unremarkable in its appearance. The overall body shape doesn't seem to have any distinct styling. It's very similar to a lot of other present-era sedans or coupes or whatever the hell mid-size cars are called these days.

Handruin

Administrator
They are conservative in their styling. Can you show me an example of a vehicle that is remarkable in its appearance and a distinct style and isn't a super car?

Mercutio

They are conservative in their styling. Can you show me an example of a vehicle that is remarkable in its appearance and a distinct style and isn't a super car?

How about a VW Beetle?
Or my toaster. Which is entirely distinct from similar vehicles like the Qube and the Scion.

Most mid-size cars aren't terribly distinct. That audi doesn't look much different from a Volvo, either.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie

I think BMWs have a distinctive style in a midsize vehicle. I've always been of the opinion that Audi's look rather conservative.

ddrueding

Fixture
The Range Rover Evoque turns heads of non-car people. But as far as sedans go, there has been so much optimization through time with safety and efficiency standards that really there isn't much to do other than fiddly bits (headlights, grilles, bumpers).

fb

Storage is cool
Mini, Fiat 500, all Renaults and all Alfa Romeos also have distinctive designs.

But Audis design department has even managed to make the R8 about as sexy as a Toyota Yaris. That in itself must be some kind of world record.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
Congratulations you two. They seem like really nice cars.
I must admit I'm pretty jealous that I'm not at the point in my life that I can afford such a luxury.
Enjoy and be careful.

Stereodude

Not really a
Maybe some day. Have you already done this?
I ordered some "bulbs" from ebay, but it'll be a while before they arrive from the far east.

I still need to get my car back. I dropped by the clear bra shop to get it at lunch and was informed that I shouldn't/couldn't pick it up because of the rain. Of course I wasn't made aware of that previously. I was just told I shouldn't wash it for 24 hours. The owner also didn't call me to let me know that since it was raining I shouldn't/couldn't pick it up despite the fact we had talked and I said I'd come by between 12 and 1pm. :frusty:

Stereodude

Not really a
So the weather cleared up and I got the car brought back to my house where it's now in my garage protected from the 70% chance of rain for the rest of the day.

In other news TireRack says the 18x8 ET35 Enkei Raijin wheels I was looking at are okay for the 2013.

Handruin

Administrator
I must admit I'm pretty jealous that I'm not at the point in my life that I can afford such a luxury.
Enjoy and be careful.

Thanks! So far as I can tell it is a very nice car. I've been taking it pretty easy and careful as I drive. It's far too easy to speed in this car. As much as I enjoy driving fast, I've really been enjoying how nice and quiet the car rides.

Handruin

Administrator
I ordered some "bulbs" from ebay, but it'll be a while before they arrive from the far east.

I still need to get my car back. I dropped by the clear bra shop to get it at lunch and was informed that I shouldn't/couldn't pick it up because of the rain. Of course I wasn't made aware of that previously. I was just told I shouldn't wash it for 24 hours. The owner also didn't call me to let me know that since it was raining I shouldn't/couldn't pick it up despite the fact we had talked and I said I'd come by between 12 and 1pm. :frusty:

How much of a pain is it to replace the fog light bulbs? Does the bumper need to be taken off?

That would drive me crazy having to wait for the car. I understand why it's worth it, but it would still make me anxious. It's raining really hard here right now. We had some crazy thunder storms pass over us. Fortunately I get in early enough to park under the garage structure. There were reports of hail all around.

Handruin

Administrator
So the weather cleared up and I got the car brought back to my house where it's now in my garage protected from the 70% chance of rain for the rest of the day.

In other news TireRack says the 18x8 ET35 Enkei Raijin wheels I was looking at are okay for the 2013.

I'm still interested in the VMR v701 wheels, but I don't like that they are heavy and gravity-cast. I like how they look though. I can also wait until next summer to get wheels and just get the winter tires for this season.

Stereodude

Not really a
So what protective coatings are you putting on and in which order?
I plan to put Opti-Coat 2.0 on the car "(even over the Nano Fusion film) except for the hood. The hood is Xpel Ultimate which has a self healing top coat. The Opti-Coat will reported stop that from working. So, I guess I'm stuck using a more conventional sealant / wax on the hood at some regular interval.

How much of a pain is it to replace the fog light bulbs? Does the bumper need to be taken off?
I not entirely sure. I haven't replaced them yet. I have the yellow Hoen Endurance bulbs though sitting in my house in the box. However, I do know that they're best replaced from behind via the wheel well.

Stereodude

Not really a
Enjoy and be careful.
Thanks. My wife and I have saved our pennies and we were able to afford something like this. I'm looking to forward driving it regularly.

Handruin

Administrator
Here is mine at the dealer. It looks pretty much just like yours. I haven't had time to take any other photos since picking it up. I have over 200 miles on it now.

my s4_1024.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
For the second time this week, I've been parking next to (what I believe is) a gray 2010 Ferrari 458 in the parking garage at work who I believe belongs to the President/COO of EMC, David Goulden. I usually park at the spots furthest away so I can get some exercise and it looks like he does the same. I figured at least one of my doors would be safe from a door ding. :-D

ddrueding

Fixture
Sweet. My dad is thinking of getting a Model S, and recharging stations are going into his work because most of management drives Teslas.

Stereodude

Not really a
How much of a pain is it to replace the fog light bulbs?
It's pretty easy. I swapped in the Hoen Endurance bulbs after I got home today. Turn the steering wheel all the way to one extreme. Then with a stubby T25 torx driver loosen the screw that's the bottom most one toward the outside of the wheel well. Once you take that out you can pull back the plastic wheel well lining enough to get your hand in on the back of the bulb, take the electrical plug off the bulb, turn the bulb, and pull it out. Put the new bulb in and reverse the process.

I used a T25 hex bit + a thumbwheel holder for it.

Handruin

Administrator
Sweet. My dad is thinking of getting a Model S, and recharging stations are going into his work because most of management drives Teslas.

The model S looks like a really nice car. A coworker of mine has been really interested in this car, so I get to hear about his research on it. It will be neat to hear what your dad thinks of the car if he does end up getting one.

Handruin

Administrator
It's pretty easy. I swapped in the Hoen Endurance bulbs after I got home today. Turn the steering wheel all the way to one extreme. Then with a stubby T25 torx driver loosen the screw that's the bottom most one toward the outside of the wheel well. Once you take that out you can pull back the plastic wheel well lining enough to get your hand in on the back of the bulb, take the electrical plug off the bulb, turn the bulb, and pull it out. Put the new bulb in and reverse the process.

I used a T25 hex bit + a thumbwheel holder for it.

Thanks for the feedback on this and the link to the star hex bits at harbor freight. I haven't had much time to do anything with the car other than drive it places. Between traveling, work, and soon more traveling, it may be a little while before I do anything to the car.

I have noticed that when I do the steps of the break-in that a few times now I've smelled what smells like sulfur like when a catalytic converter purges. It's usually after revving up to the rev limiter and then engine braking it. I feel like the break-in is hard on the car, but I guess it was meant to be pushed. I do make sure to wait until it has warmed up for a while (> 10 min past the temp gauge showing it's warm).

I'm also noticing the 1 -> 2 shift takes a little getting used to with regard to the clutch engagement. The other shifts are fine, but I never feel like the 1 -> 2 is smooth. It's like I either shift too fast and don't catch the rev correctly or the opposite and shift too slow and catch it incorrectly. The rest of the gear changes seem fine otherwise.

The wheels are dirty with brake dust already after 250 miles. Maybe due to some of the rain we had, but it looks to have gotten wet and leaked out onto the rims. It's either that or it's something related to a new car leaking out. I also found that holding the "set" button by the instrument cluster sets the speed limiter warning. I was going like 20MPH and set it, but then couldn't figure out how to turn it off, so the car was beeping the whole time I was over 20MPH. Holding it again for some time disabled it. This speed warning is set separately from the one set in the MMI. The one in the MMI was disabled, yet the car was still beeping at me.

Last, the advanced key can be a pain sometimes. There are times when I'm on my way to get in my car to go somewhere and when I press my thumb on the door handle square and it beeps and locks the doors (even though they were locked). I press it several more times and eventually it will unlock. Sometimes I give up after 5-6 tries and just use the fob. I don't know why this happens, but I've noticed it after opening the trunk with the key fob, putting my bag in the car, and then trying to unlock the front door. The car seems to think I'm now trying to lock the door, so I have to unlock it with the key fob.

Stereodude

Not really a
Last, the advanced key can be a pain sometimes. There are times when I'm on my way to get in my car to go somewhere and when I press my thumb on the door handle square and it beeps and locks the doors (even though they were locked). I press it several more times and eventually it will unlock. Sometimes I give up after 5-6 tries and just use the fob. I don't know why this happens, but I've noticed it after opening the trunk with the key fob, putting my bag in the car, and then trying to unlock the front door. The car seems to think I'm now trying to lock the door, so I have to unlock it with the key fob.
The rectangle isn't supposed to unlock the doors. Only lock them. To unlock the car, just grab the door handle and pull.

Handruin

Administrator
The rectangle isn't supposed to unlock the doors. Only lock them. To unlock the car, just grab the door handle and pull.

Well...if it's not supposed to unlock the doors, why does it unlock them sometimes? I'll just pull the handle from now on.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well...if it's not supposed to unlock the doors, why does it unlock them sometimes? I'll just pull the handle from now on.
I don't know. I've never seen it unlock the car when pressing on the rectangle. Were you only touching the little rectangle?

Handruin

Administrator
I don't know. I've never seen it unlock the car when pressing on the rectangle. Were you only touching the little rectangle?

Yes, I was touching the little rectangle. Anyway, thanks for the tip on just pulling the handle. That seems to work fine. When I have more time next week, I'll read through the manual. :)