The storageforum Audi S4 Thread

Stereodude

Not really a
I've spent some time reading through the threads related to carbon buildup in Audis and I have to say, it looks pretty bad (at least some of the pictures people posted looked really bad). Some reporting significant buildup in 10-20K miles?! I'm assuming you've read through those threads. Does any of that concern you? ddrueding, has this been a problem for your Audi at all or have you even noticed any degradation in performance?
The 4.2L V8 in the last 2 gen S4's and B7 RS4 have this issue to a severe degree. The supercharged 3.0L V6 is reportedly much better. However, you should probably still do something like a BG 44K + BG ISC every 15k miles or so. Video demonstration

Handruin

Administrator
The 4.2L V8 in the last 2 gen S4's and B7 RS4 have this issue to a severe degree. The supercharged 3.0L V6 is reportedly much better. However, you should probably still do something like a BG 44K + BG ISC every 15k miles or so. Video demonstration

That seems like a pain in the ass to have to do that every 15K miles. Is that something you plan to do on your own, or have someone else do it? Looks easy enough to do on my own. The other alternative that seems similar (but without compressed air) is the seafoam injection cleaning product, but I don't know if it's meant to deal with this kind or quantity of carbon buildup. I've yet to do any injection cleaning on any car I've owned...but they've also not been direct injected.

Stereodude

Not really a
That seems like a pain in the ass to have to do that every 15K miles. Is that something you plan to do on your own, or have someone else do it? Looks easy enough to do on my own.
I'm not sure. BG doesn't really sell their products to the public, so I'm not sure how hard it is to get all the parts to DIY it. I'm not sure if there are similar products sold to the public. You could always find a shop that uses BG products and get it done once a year or whatever.
The other alternative that seems similar (but without compressed air) is the seafoam injection cleaning product, but I don't know if it's meant to deal with this kind or quantity of carbon buildup. I've yet to do any injection cleaning on any car I've owned...but they've also not been direct injected.
I'm not very familiar with seafoam. I've seen it referenced on forums. Some people swear it works, others say it's worthless.

FWIW, B8 owners generally seem unconcerned about carbon build up. The general consensus is that the "3.0T" doesn't have an issue with it. However, some owners have claimed to see minor buildup, but haven't exactly produced photos or proof when pushed on it.

Handruin

Administrator
Sounds like potentially good news for you! :p Their wording does say 2012 models so if you're looking for the 2013 S4...you may be SOL.

Handruin

Administrator
Sorry for the buzzkill. You could always ask anyway. :) Maybe they'll hook you up.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm just going to go ahead and leave this right here.

66988321051264139842b.jpg

ddrueding

Fixture
That is a nice color. I won't be getting it (attracts too much attention), but it is very nice. My current car is "Meteor Grey" and I like that quite a bit. I suspect my next one will be white with a light colored interior.

Handruin

Administrator
That pic looks like a rendering. I usually like red cars but I don't know if I'd like this red. Maybe in person it would present itself better.

Stereodude

Not really a
That pic looks like a rendering. I usually like red cars but I don't know if I'd like this red. Maybe in person it would present itself better.
It's not a rendering.
It is more of a burnt orange than a red. That is the allroad behind it (still very tempting).
How do you know it's more of a burnt orange than a red? You don't even know what color it is. It could be Volcano Red or Misano Red Pearl Effect.

Handruin

Administrator
It doesn't look burnt orange to me either. This sample looks like burnt orange to me:

Burnt-Orange.gif

ddrueding

Fixture
Monitor was calibrated this morning. You are right that it is closer to red, my brain just keeps disagreeing. I've been staring at paint samples for the house for a week and it seems to be malfunctioning.

Handruin

Administrator
Monitor was calibrated this morning. You are right that it is closer to red, my brain just keeps disagreeing. I've been staring at paint samples for the house for a week and it seems to be malfunctioning.

I had to look through tons of paint samples when I had a house built many years back. It was more overwhelming than I thought it would be. Good luck with the paint samples for the house.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
It is well known that if you see more than a few similar shades at a time, your brain starts to get confused.

Handruin

Administrator
I was messing about and decided to join and chime in. :) I don't really have much to offer there.

Handruin

Administrator
I got an email from my local Audi dealership today. For the Super Bowl weekend they're offering $5K off an A8 and $3K off am S4. They have to be in stock and paid in full in order to get the deal. I guess they're clearing out inventory.

Stereodude

Not really a
I got an email from my local Audi dealership today. For the Super Bowl weekend they're offering $5K off an A8 and $3K off am S4. They have to be in stock and paid in full in order to get the deal. I guess they're clearing out inventory.
I bet they don't have the car you want in stock though. ;)

Handruin

Administrator
Looks like they have a 2012 premium plus in black and in gray with a 6-speed in stock. I'm surprised they have two manuals. The price is $54,260, but no mention of which options come with it.

Stereodude

Not really a
That should have a fair bit of options at that price. I've accepted that I will need to order to get exactly what I want, and will probably pay a slight premium based on my geographic location.

Handruin

Administrator
What's the deal with the custom colors. Is it an option to get the car painted any color offered at a price?

I'm guessing you saw these at AZ:

Papaya Orange:
6803218977_62b97faaa7.jpg

Nogaro Blue:
NogaroS4.jpg

Stereodude

Not really a
What's the deal with the custom colors. Is it an option to get the car painted any color offered at a price?
AFAIK, there are two option plans that let you get other colors on your Audi. The first is $2500 and you can pick from any pretty much any VAG color that's currently offered on production cars (excluding Lambo colors). The alternative option is $6000 and you can get any color you want. You can give them a Pantone number or have them match a paint sample, etc.

So, for example Nogaro blue would be $6k because it's not currently offered on any Audi. Whereas Sepang Blue would be $2.5k because it's currently offered (TT-RS).

Handruin

Administrator
I stopped by my local Audi dealer to look at what they had for 2012 and also inquire about 2013. With no surprise there was little to no info on when 2013 ordering would be available. The sales guy was knowledgeable but said he hasn't yet heard anything.

He is tempting me with a premium plus 2012 S4, phantom black with all black nappa silk, B&O sound, stainless steel inserts, MMI, 6MT, advanced key, all weather mats and trunk tray, wheel locks, and the nice supercharged decal added to the car. He said the sticker was $54,620 on it, but there was plenty of room for a deal because he said they currently have too many S4s on the lot.

The only major thing I wanted was the rear sports diff. He said that most if not all their lot orders never come with it because so few order it. I don't even know if I'd know the difference if it did have it, but I read good things about the option from various forum posts. The good news is that this S4 is in their remote lot, so no one has test driven it yet. He said he'd work a deal with either this or a 2013 and was not pushy, but I could likely save a bunch more with the 2012 for the obvious supply/demand reasons. I also had him show my an S4 with the red/black nappa seat option and I'm glad I got to see it in person, because I'm no longer a fan of that option. I felt the red was too much for the interior or possibly it just didn't look right in the monsoon gray exterior. Had it been in a black S4 it may have looked better with one less shade/color in the mixture.

So, minor facial changes aside, the biggest things I can see worth waiting for a 2013 would be the improved MMI and electric power steering. From our previous discussions it looks like paying MSRP on an ordered 2013 may be what people pay? I dunno...I'm seriously considering this.

ddrueding

Fixture
I know it is a minor thing, but the all-weather floor mats are a must have IMHO. I got them with my wife's car, but decided to go with the aftermarket WeatherTech for mine. Mixed bag, but I prefer the factory ones.

Stereodude

Not really a
I also had him show my an S4 with the red/black nappa seat option and I'm glad I got to see it in person, because I'm no longer a fan of that option. I felt the red was too much for the interior or possibly it just didn't look right in the monsoon gray exterior. Had it been in a black S4 it may have looked better with one less shade/color in the mixture.
That's an interesting comment and gives me pause about the Magma/Black Silk Nappa interior in a Monsoon Grey S4. I haven't seen it in person myself and probably won't be able to. Can you elaborate on your thoughts a little more? Was it too much red for the interior, just too many different colors going on? I would think that the grey exterior and black interior would be basically color neutral making the red the only tone and really leaving nothing for it to clash with.

From our previous discussions it looks like paying MSRP on an ordered 2013 may be what people pay? I dunno...I'm seriously considering this.
The local dealer I've been talking to offered me their first 2013 S4 order for $1k under MSRP. I'm hoping to do a little better.

Stereodude

Not really a
He is tempting me with a premium plus 2012 S4, phantom black with all black nappa silk, B&O sound, stainless steel inserts, MMI, 6MT, advanced key, all weather mats and trunk tray, wheel locks, and the nice supercharged decal added to the car. He said the sticker was $54,620 on it, but there was plenty of room for a deal because he said they currently have too many S4s on the lot.

The only major thing I wanted was the rear sports diff. He said that most if not all their lot orders never come with it because so few order it. I don't even know if I'd know the difference if it did have it, but I read good things about the option from various forum posts.
Personally, I wouldn't buy one without the sports diff. All the reviewers say that's the only way to buy the car (assuming you don't go full ADS). It looks like a pretty spiffy bit of equipment.

Handruin

Administrator
That's an interesting comment and gives me pause about the Magma/Black Silk Nappa interior in a Monsoon Grey S4. I haven't seen it in person myself and probably won't be able to. Can you elaborate on your thoughts a little more? Was it too much red for the interior, just too many different colors going on? I would think that the grey exterior and black interior would be basically color neutral making the red the only tone and really leaving nothing for it to clash with.

The local dealer I've been talking to offered me their first 2013 S4 order for $1k under MSRP. I'm hoping to do a little better.

I was rather surprised at the dominance of the seat coloring even as I approached the vehicle from the outside. The quality looked nice, so there was no question there, but the color of the Magma/Black Silk Nappa seats with the gray exterior didn't really vibe for me. My girlfriend also didn't care for it and her comment was that it made her feel like it was a cheaper car that a 16 y/o would drive. She related it to the test drive I went on in the WRX. Take that with a grain of salt though; cars aren't really her thing. I personally felt like it was too much for the car, but you may not. I feel like it would have sat better for me if the car was black so that there was just the two color/shade differences. Again, not seeing these seats even with a black exterior is still making me guess. Seeing the seats did change my mind on them.

If you think it might help, I can swing over to the dealership this week and grab some photos of the car from both the exterior and interior. I can grab my light-balancing "gray card" to stick in the interior so you can get the true sense of the color after balancing on your own monitor. I doubt the sales guy would mind. He just didn't want to have to move 10 cars to get it out of the back of their small lot. :-D Let me know and I'll give him a call.

Stereodude

Not really a
If you think it might help, I can swing over to the dealership this week and grab some photos of the car from both the exterior and interior. I can grab my light-balancing "gray card" to stick in the interior so you can get the true sense of the color after balancing on your own monitor. I doubt the sales guy would mind. He just didn't want to have to move 10 cars to get it out of the back of their small lot. :-D Let me know and I'll give him a call.
Thanks for the offer, but I don't think that will be necessary.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Audi's electrical fault brings Sydney traffic to a halt

Traffic on the Eastern Distributor is clearing, after two cars broke down causing a traffic jam of up to 12 kilometres.

The first car, an Audi A8, had its entire electrical system shut down while it was travelling south in the tunnel. It took two tow trucks to move it.

A spokeswoman from the Transport Management Centre said the car’s steering wheel, handbrake and keys were stuck and it took an hour to get it off the road.

Many European cars have "anti-tow" detection that senses and responds to a suspected theft. It triggers the immobiliser to do hostile things like lock diffs, keys and a bit more. Movement while the handbrake is on can trigger it too.