The storageforum Audi S4 Thread

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Interesting. How bad is the traffic that a disabled car causes a 12km backup?

Interesting that the first tow truck was too small for the R8. Usually these low ground clearance cars with a fat overhanging chin make a nice grinding noise as they hit the ramp of the flatbed truck on the way up. I wouldn't think an R8 is a candidate for a dolly tow.

ddrueding

Fixture
Interesting that the first tow truck was too small for the R8. Usually these low ground clearance cars with a fat overhanging chin make a nice grinding noise as they hit the ramp of the flatbed truck on the way up. I wouldn't think an R8 is a candidate for a dolly tow.

I believe it was an A8 (luxo sedan), not an R8 (sports car).

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Interesting that there was no mention of the brand on second broken down vehicle.

If you read the article, it says the second vehicle only took 15 minutes to clear.

The newsworthy aspect was the difficulty in moving a vehicle with locked wheels and steering - the Audi - which of course is also why I mentioned it in this thread.

The story reminded a motoring writer of his experience locked in a Porsche with his family - no laughing matter.

Handruin

Administrator
If you read the article, it says the second vehicle only took 15 minutes to clear.

The newsworthy aspect was the difficulty in moving a vehicle with locked wheels and steering - the Audi - which of course is also why I mentioned it in this thread.

The story reminded a motoring writer of his experience locked in a Porsche with his family - no laughing matter.

I did read the article and I saw that it only took 15 minutes, but I don't recall seeing a mention of what the second vehicle's maker is.

I do understand the point. More and more cars are beginning to rely on more and more electronics to do the tasks that were once handled manually. When the electric components go bad...it causes a serious problem.

The family with the Porsche was certainly unfortunate. Luckily the amount of people owning that class of car will be very small at a price tag of $400K. A nice fallback safety feature would allow the internal manual door handle to manually engage the unlocking mechanism of the doors when operated from the inside rather than have it all electronic. I've seen cases of a single pull on the level unlocks, the second time opens the door.

Handruin

Administrator
Is it just me, or is the navigation a pain in the ass to use in the B8 S4? I sat in an S4 in the show room for 15-20 minutes and I did not find it to be intuitive at all. I kept wanting to reach out and just press on the screen to make things happen rather than rotate a wheel and click on five different buttons.

ddrueding

Fixture
Is it just me, or is the navigation a pain in the ass to use in the B8 S4? I sat in an S4 in the show room for 15-20 minutes and I did not find it to be intuitive at all. I kept wanting to reach out and just press on the screen to make things happen rather than rotate a wheel and click on five different buttons.

I prefer tactile buttons to touchscreens in a car in general (operation without looking is impossible on a touch screen), but I agree that the Audi knob is clunky. The touchpad in the A7/A8 fixes almost all my complaints.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'd agree it's not terribly intuitive at first. However, most owners seem to say you get used to it pretty quickly and it becomes 2nd nature.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm not sure about you guys, but I use the GPS in two ways:

1. Just keep the moving map up to refresh my memory (90% of the time)
2. Program an address before I leave for some long road trip to some place I've never been (once a week if that).

To access mode 1 requires one button press.

fb

Storage is cool

It's a German car, so you should probably be glad that they haven't put the activation of the turn signal somewhere under some rotating-knob-sub-menu. I like German engineering, but they are also experts at creating bad UIs.

Handruin

Administrator
My Audi dealer just sent an email flyer that they are doing $5K off MSRP for any 2012 S4 in stock for presidents day sales. That seems fairly aggressive to clear out the stock.

Stereodude

Not really a
My Audi dealer just sent an email flyer that they are doing $5K off MSRP for any 2012 S4 in stock for presidents day sales. That seems fairly aggressive to clear out the stock.
They must have either marked up the MSRP or they're willing to lose money because there isn't $5k in profit on a 2012 S4 with any sane optioning.

Handruin

Administrator
The car's quoted MSRP was $54,260 (i transversed the 2 and 6 earlier in my post in the price) for:

2012 Premium Plus
6MT
phantom black
Nappa seats
Advanced Key
B&O sound
stainless steel inserts
MMI
All those (with destination) equal this:
$53,800

all season mats $ trunk tray- $250 MSRP @ truecar
super charged badges - $130 MSRP @ truecar
wheel locks - $80 MSRP @ truecar
=$460
$53,800 + $460 = $54,260
-$5000 incentive
=$49,260

Deal cost = $50,546 (according to truecar)
Invoice = $50,986 (according to truecar)

:scratch:

Stereodude

Not really a
The answer is in the fine print. "Prices require Audi Loyalty eligibility". That's $1500 of the $5k right there. So, unless you already own or lease a 2001 or newer Audi you can't get the full $5k.

Handruin

Administrator
Why, what's the significance of the $1500? I'd still try/push for the $5K if I were considering the 2012. Even with $1500, it's still below invoice?

Stereodude

Not really a
Why, what's the significance of the $1500? I'd still try/push for the $5K if I were considering the 2012. Even with $1500, it's still below invoice?
$1500 of the $5k is from Audi. That means that you have to qualify to get the $1500 from Audi. Otherwise you will only get a $3.5k discount from the dealer which means they're still making money on the car (though not much).

Handruin

Administrator
No big surprise there. I read the threads where you were discussing this with them. I like both styles and have no real opinion on them other than it would have been nice if the style between the A4 and S4 were more unique. I would have enjoyed seeing a little more aggressive body paneling on the S4 to identify its sportiness.

ddrueding

Fixture
I honestly want a sleeper, and am considering having all the badges removed except the rings front and back.

What are people's thoughts on the factory wheels? Are they light enough? Are there significant performance gains to be had?

Handruin

Administrator
I honestly want a sleeper, and am considering having all the badges removed except the rings front and back.

What are people's thoughts on the factory wheels? Are they light enough? Are there significant performance gains to be had?

I'd guess they are fine but I don't know much about the stock wheels on the 2013. My question to you is, what are you planning to do with the S4 that you're concerned with the weight of the wheels? I can't imagine there would be huge performance gains to be had from the lighter wheels unless if you plan to track the car and the tracks you're going to have lots of bumps and irregularities. You could also reduce the unsprung weight by getting a two-piece rotor setup. Thats what I did on my TL and the rotors were 5lb less per axel for the fronts. I only noticed the improved braking, I haven't tracked my car to notice the advantages of the reduced unsprung weight.

In theory it should help but at the end of the day my TL isn't a race car and neither is an S4.

Stereodude

Not really a
Which factory wheel? And, light enough for what?

A lighter wheel and tire combo generally will put more power to the ground. How much extra power depends on a large variety of factors.

Handruin

Administrator
Meh, but really how much are we talking? Anything less than a 5-10 HP addition isn't likely to be noticed in this car IMHO. I think the reduce unsprung weight is the better candidate for handling to apply the already-ample power this car has.

ddrueding

Fixture
Reducing unsprung weight to get a better ride was my goal. If I'm going to swap the wheels, I would want to do it immediately to preserve the resale of the OEMs. Maybe one of you would want them for snow tires.

Handruin

Administrator
You might find this thread interesting.

I remember seeing that thread but didn't follow it all the way. I am surprised that for an 8lb/wheel reduction gets roughly 8HP and 9 ftlb. That's more than I would have expected but I think you said it best that aftermarket wheels will still be more for looks than for performance gains. Rather the cost/benefit for performance increase is low on the value side assuming looks are not taken into account. The key thing to consider and remember that even if a low weight wheel is purchased, the offset could be killed by purchasing heavy tires.

Handruin

Administrator
I very much do. Matte black on a white car with the black trim kit, please.

What is the cost on those forgestar in the 18x9 (stock S4 size?)

I have not found a price for that size but some numbers on slightly larger wheels (19x9) show that they won't be cheap.

F14
Race gold
19x9+42 square setup
$1549 shipped

My guess is somewhere near $1700-$1800 for the set based on this post. If you do decide to get that white with matte black, I can't wait to see pics. I was thinking black with black if I went down this path, but I might step up to a 19" assuming fitment isn't an issue.

Handruin

Administrator
I noticed a subtle detail in one of the 2013 S4 press releases that Audi is changing the leather from Nappa to Valcona leather. I have no idea how accurate this information is, but I'm curious what either of you know about it? My limited research doesn't really indicate the differences, but from what I read Nappa leather is usually regarded as fairly high quality. Did either of you see this piece of info and have you heard of Valcona leather?

Handruin

Administrator
I very much do. Matte black on a white car with the black trim kit, please.

What is the cost on those forgestar in the 18x9 (stock S4 size?)

I have no idea what these wheels weigh or cost, but I really like how this car looks:

6804597963_f49674de5d_b.jpg

(HRE P40S 19x9.5 ET 45 Continental 255/35 19)