To iPhone or Not ?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Will be time for me to get a new phone soon. Was happy enough with my Pre+ but it appears support for that & WebOS is coming to an end. So I am stuck with a decision. Get an iPhone 4 or 5 this winter or get an Android phone?

My problem: form factor & battery life is important to me. I want a nice spec'd phone but the IPhone 4 is the biggest I would want to go. The phone I would want will either be an iPhone or a newer Android with ICS on it.

I'm kind of against the closed system of Apple but then again I just want something that works, good. Capability-wise what are the strengths and weakness of both platforms?

What would you do?

ddrueding

Fixture
I would get an Android with the biggest screen I could find. Preferably something that the aftermarket ROMs can work with. But if you want something that just works, an iPhone is not a bad choice.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah I want to want an Android phone but the nicer ones with the newer version of the OS all seem to be huge phones with huge screens....just like you would like.

Does an iPhone integrate with my Google gmail contacts as well as I would expect an Android phone (or as well as my WebOS phone)?

BTW, Home2 is looking a little weak. Could you up the specs. on that a bit? ;-)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Also: Gmail calendars just work on Android. You have to have a paid Google Apps for Domains account before calendar magic happens on iThings.

On the other hand, I spent what I think is an unreasonable amount of time screwing around with WinAmp on a desktop and my phone to make it handle music the way I want. I'm sure that's not an issue between an iThing and itunes.

I'm told iThings have more "polished" applications, but nothing that says Apple on it has any kind of tradition of free software, either.

Handruin

Administrator
I'll be going through a similar decision in a couple months. I want to be open-minded about my options on both sides and also with respect to which phone service I'll go forward with. I'm going to wait and see what Apple offers for their next phone to see if it's worth staying. I like the size screen I have with the 3GS and going bigger may be nice, but it's going to be annoying to keep in my pants pocket.

Apple really is a closed system but it doesn't have all negatives. There comes a certainly level of consistency with the phones that if you're OK with how they function, you won't deviate much from it for some time to come. I suspect the new iPhone with the new iOS5 will start to converge with many of the features that Android has done well with in terms of their user-experience.

If you're ok with the fact that you'll need to use iTunes every once in a while for software updates, stick it in a VM or something, then at least one worry goes away with regards to it cluttering up your PC.

Battery life is always going to be a concern, but the obviously larger concern is the lack of an easy user-replaceable battery with the Apple products. I've had mine over two years now with it on basically 24x7 and the battery still lasts more than a day without a problem. Obviously it's going to vary based on usage. I've found myself to be pretty anal about turning off things like WiFi and Bluetooth when I don't need them.

The gmail contact synching hasn't been an issue for me, but I also don't worry about it much. I have my gmail and work Outlook configured on my phone and I'm able to find all the contacts without any major issue. My point is, I don't use that feature in the same capacity as others, so it doesn't play a big part in my decision. Worst case I load the Google app and connect to my gmail that way.

If you find that a given Android phone and an iPhone are available with the provider you want to use, try them both with the 30-days they'll give you.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm told iThings have more "polished" applications, but nothing that says Apple on it has any kind of tradition of free software, either.

I've only paid for one app ($0.99) in the time I've used my phone. There are plenty of polished free apps that are not made by Apple. You just have to look for them.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Pros for iphone (you wouldn't want to get anything but the new iphone 5):
Stuff really does come out for iphone first. Apps are updated there first.
There is lots of aftermarket support for iphone/ipod as a music player if you need that.
The display, which is supposedly gorgeous.
The camera app is decent.
Touchscreen top notch.

Pros for android:
Possiblility of rooting (I'm not rooted but heavily considering it).
Standard USB connector.
Choice in hardware
Google environment integration (calendar, contacts, gmail, picasa)

Cons for iphone:
Itunes
Proprietary connector (though well supported by aftermarket stuff).

Cons for android:
Most of the touchscreens are trying to match apples.
And I believe this is the reason I still don't have bejeweled blitz on android.

Mercutio

Apple phones legitimately do have better battery life. My phone will standby for a couple days if I don't otherwise mess with it but it runs down to about 1/3 power during an average work day where I actually use it to answer emails and spend my lunch reading Fark or something.

But a battery for my Evo was $10 and I keep two spares in my laptop bag.

IIRC, GPU performance is better on Apple stuff than any current Android device as well.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I've paid for some apps on android. Most notably TouchDown for exchange integration. If you want that on android, buy touchdown. It is like $20 but way worth it.

Mercutio

I've paid for some apps on android. Most notably TouchDown for exchange integration. If you want that on android, buy touchdown. It is like $20 but way worth it.

11 views, 10 replies. LOL.

Anyway, what's wrong with the Exchange integration that's built in to Android by default?

Apps I've paid for: LogMeIn Ignition ($30) and some stupid thing that lets me nest things in folders on my home screen ($1). LogMeIn has probably paid for itself ten times over by now.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
The problem with built-in exchange integration is the enforcement of policies from the exchange server. Having to enter a passcode to access the phone. Being subject to losing all your phone data from a remote wipe. By putting the exchange stuff in its own little box, I only need a passcode to access that app. And a remote wipe will only kill the data belonging to that app.

Also better control of the syncing. I don't want my exchange contacts mixed with my home contacts. I don't want my work calendar reminders mixed with my home calendar stuff.

It is an app built for exchange, not a mail app with exchange support tacked on.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
LogMeIn Ignition ($30) and some stupid thing that lets me nest things in folders on my home screen ($1). LogMeIn has probably paid for itself ten times over by now.

I was thinking about this until I found teamviewer. Similar functionality and free for private use.

I want a bigger screen and I love how big the android screens are, but I don't think iphone 5 will have anything over a 4" screen and maybe not even that big.

I really hope the iphone 5 is a single sku world phone. As in able to work on ATT&Verizon with one phone. Being able to switch between those two would be huge and it appears the chipset they lined up is ready for it.

If iphone 5 misses on these two points I will likely skip it.

Whatever they release there will be a flood of iphone 4 on the market. You could likely pick something up that still has applecare on it for the $300-400 range.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
For what it's worth, my co-worker who is an Apple fanatic told me that iOS 5 will allow OTA updates to the phone (no need or iTunes). Maybe you'd need iTunes to sync other stuff though.

Lots of great info. here. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Android has been doing OTA/WiFi updates for ages. I've got an HTC Incredible S and now a work Desire S (basically similar, though a little smaller). The Incredible S is the same size as an iPhone 4 (my wife has one) but thinner. Battery life appears to be on par, but my wife and kids use the iPhone more heavily than I use my phones. Can't see much difference in screen colours, brightness or visibility in daylight. The Desire S is a little smaller. I'm happy with Android, my wife likes Apple.

Sol

Storage is cool
Stuff really does come out for iphone first. Apps are updated there first.

Apps tend to come out for the iPhone first because people develop or the iPhone first and then port, but any app that runs on both is going to get updated on Android first (Unless they develop 2 seperate versions of the app or deliberately delay the Android app) an Android app is updated as soon as you upload it, an iPhone app is updated maybe 3-5 days after that.

IOS is definitely better optimized for the hardware it runs on, and that's a big plus for it. Android phones try to get around it by throwing more hardware at the OS, the Galaxy S II proves that that solution will work - It's easily as smooth as an iPhone - but obviously there is a cost which is battery life.

It's not true that iPhones have more GPU power than Android devices - Event the original Galaxy S has a faster GPU than the iPhone 4, newer phones are much faster still. IOS apps do tend to make better use of the power they have though.

The phone I'm drooling a little over is Samsungs Galaxy Note. Huge, fast, and with a resolution you'd expect to find on a laptop more than a phone...

Out of interest Clocker, why don't you want a large screen?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I just like a phone that fits in my pants pocket comfortably.

Sol

Storage is cool
I guess it really depends on your pants, but I've found the Galaxy S to be a surprisingly comfortable fit at 4". I think people over estimate the profile of a phone in their pocket (I certainly did and others I work with have had less trouble than expected with even larger phones like the Desire HD). I think the thinness of current phones helps, as well as the fact that one side is almost entirely a screen so you're never going to want to put anything else in the same pocket anyway.

Before I got my current phone I was a little concerned about the size. After having it in a pocket pretty much continually for over a year I think I'd be perfectly happy with another inch or so of screen...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Offhand, I imagine the phone cross-sectional area would give some indication of how pocket-friendly it is:

HTC Wildfire S
3.2" screen, 105g
101.3 x 59.4 x 12.3mm (731mm² cross-section)

Apple iPhone 3GS
3.5" screen, 135g
115.5 x 62.1 x 12.3mm (764mm² cross-section)

Apple iPhone 4
3.5" screen, 137g
115.2 x 58.6 x 9.3mm (545mm² cross-section)

HTC Incredible S
4.0" screen, 136g
120 x 64 x 11.7mm (749mm² cross-section)

Samsung Galaxy S II
4.3" screen, 116g
125.3 x 66.1 x 8.5mm (562mm² cross-section)

HTH.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Good analysis but I think length is a critical component of the comparison when you look at how it'll fit/feel in your pocket.

Both girth and length are equally important. Hey, that's what she said!

HTC Wildfire S
3.2" screen, 105g
101.3 x 59.4 x 12.3mm (731mm² cross-section)
volume: 74,011 mm^3

Apple iPhone 3GS
3.5" screen, 135g
volume: 88,222mm^3

Apple iPhone 4
3.5" screen, 137g
volume: 62,781mm^3

HTC Incredible S
4.0" screen, 136g
120 x 64 x 11.7mm (749mm² cross-section)
volume: 89,856mm^3

Samsung Galaxy S II
4.3" screen, 116g
125.3 x 66.1 x 8.5mm (562mm² cross-section)
volume: 70,399mm^3

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Offhand, I imagine the phone cross-sectional area would give some indication of how pocket-friendly it is:
Apple iPhone 3GS
3.5" screen, 135g

Apple iPhone 4
3.5" screen, 137g

Interesting, I am surprised by that. I carry my phone in my pockets exclusively, usually my back pocket since I got the 4. My 4 doesn't feel smaller that my 3GS; certainly not 40% smaller. I'm sure the beveled profile makes a difference but I wouldn't have expected that much.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Can you sit down with it in your back pocket?

I try not to, nobody likes glass in their ass. :)

The dual glass sides of the iP4 make it less likely that I would allow myself to sit on it purposely; and the squared corners make it easy to remember when I've forgotten. I used to sit on my 3GS all the time in cushioned seats

Primarly I just wanted it in a pocket with nothing else so it didn't feel so bulky.

For reference, I don't normally carry anything at all in my back pockets (spinal health reasons) and my wallet which lives in my front pocket is very thin.

Since, you have not been around for the general discussions in the past I'll give you my device history. About 3 years ago I recevied a 3GS from work. Since then I've had 3 different 3GSs and now the 4. When I got the 4 in Decenmber I looked into other options but my purchase was decided for me when an application I rely on heavily was only in beta on other platforms.

I like it ok. I would try something different. Of all the possible changes available, I would be most interested in a larger screen.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I decided to pickup a used Droid Incredibe 1 on eBay and use it for the next 2-3 months to see what I think about it. Not really interested in renewing my Verizon contract until I finish this one completly. Maybe Verizon will have an attractive offer to keep me at that time.

I hear the Incredible 1's can have Android 2.3 on them and they're about the same size as an IP4. $135 shipped with a bunch of accessories included.

We'll se how it goes.

ddrueding

Fixture
Too bad it doesn't pass on the control scheme as well. I'll end up getting an iThing for the car because it integrates with the steering wheel controls.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Had a bit of a wakeup call the past weekend with AT&T go phone prepaid. Does certainly not have the same coverage as regular post paid AT&T plans. I don't know why I had that misconception.

That was supposed to be in random, my mistake.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Based on your recommendation I just bought a couple batteries from cellphoneshop.net. Hopefully they'll be better than the crap ebay ones I got which don't last a day.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Too bad it doesn't pass on the control scheme as well. I'll end up getting an iThing for the car because it integrates with the steering wheel controls.

Why get an iThing? Most (at least GM) cars with a USB port allow you to just plug in a USB stick full of music and just play it. No iThing needed.

Handruin

Administrator
Why get an iThing? Most (at least GM) cars with a USB port allow you to just plug in a USB stick full of music and just play it. No iThing needed.

German cars do things more complicated-like. :)

ddrueding

Fixture
My wife's car has the GPS and other goodies, it includes a pair of SD slots for MP3 behind the Nav screen. Mine, however, doesn't. I've been playing with the idea of replacing the stereo with a mounted tablet, but the only ones that would allow me to use the steering wheel controls for music while having navigation on the screen are the iPads.

Stereodude

Not really a
There's always a catch. Limited number of tracks it can support, some goofy file / folder arrangement, like no more than 100 items per folder and a max number of folders. Show me one I can plug a 500GB 2.5" drive into with >25k songs on it in basically any folder structure and we'll talk.

I'm certainly no Apple fan, but in contrast as long as all the music fits on the iThing you're all good.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Show me one I can plug a 500GB 2.5" drive into with >25k songs on it in basically any folder structure and we'll talk.

Why do you need 25,000 songs in an automobile? Are you driving to the moon? :-D

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Got my Incredible 1 up and running last night. It is Incredible! :) Tried a couple ROMs but nothing impressed me too much so I am stick with the latest leaked stock ROM with Sense. Might try some other ROMs later though.

Love the Onstar RemoteLink app. You can flash your lights/honk horn (for vehicle locating), lock/unlock doors, remote start, check fuel level, oil life, mileage, MPG and even send NAV destinations via from the phone to the car.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Love the Onstar RemoteLink app. You can flash your lights/honk horn (for vehicle locating), lock/unlock doors, remote start, check fuel level, oil life, mileage, MPG and even send NAV destinations via from the phone to the car.

Interesting. I haven't had one car with onstar yet though. What was the link process like? To connect your app to your car that is.

ddrueding

Fixture
The geek aspect of having ODBII-type information\programming on my phone certainly appeals.

I must admit I'm slightly concerned from a security standpoint. The ability to anyone on the internet being able to unlock and start my car does have a downside. IIRC, the first implementations of this were in fact found to have flawed security.

Then there are the privacy concerns.