To iPhone or Not ?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Big surprise. They will sell every iota of info for a profit, how you drive, where you park, etc. I'm sure law enforcement and politicos love it.

LunarMist

For now, my vehicle does not have the GPS active and I never have the cell phone turned on except when using it. They know where I am in the airports anyway when checking in for a flight. So basically there are a bunch of dots to connect.

Sol

Storage is cool
To get the info? No. To use it in court? Yes.

I can't see how that would be the case. As long as the police have obtained the information legally and a chain of custody can be established to ensure it hasn't been tampered with there is no reason they can't use that information in court. I suspect that even if the company broke the law by providing the information, as long as the police didn't it's probably o.k to use.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
The process to set it up is to activate the remote access in your onstar account online. Then any time you want to remotely control your vehicle you have to enter a password into your phone. It's no different than if you were to call Onstar and have the do it for you except you don't have to make a phone call.

You guys do all kinds of stuff on the internet everyday and you're worried about privacy? Funny.

Where's My Droid........another great app.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
The process to set it up is to activate the remote access in your onstar account online. Then any time you want to remotely control your vehicle you have to enter a password into your phone. It's no different than if you were to call Onstar and have the do it for you except you don't have to make a phone call.

You guys do all kinds of stuff on the internet everyday and you're worried about privacy? Funny.

Where's My Droid........another great app.

LunarMist

When I'm on the internet it is within 50-75 feet of a single home location and they know I live anyway.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
The process to set it up is to activate the remote access in your onstar account online.

How do you identify your car online? Is it a VIN or something? Is there a robust lost my password procedure? I'm sure they have thought of this but I've never looked into it before. When you think about it a security breach on this system has a little higher meaning than your average web forum. Maybe even more than your bank account.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
It probably wouldn't ID your car per se but the onstar device itself. They have aftermarket onstar mirrors now. I'm sure the device calls home and the device serial number is registered and activating your service would be just a matter of flipping a switch and assigning info for billing and security.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I'm just interested because they have things like remote start/stop and can disable the car when you are driving it now. That might not be a public facing option but the system is capable of it. Just think of someone getting into that system and sending a remote disable to every onstar car capable of that.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
So new iphone 4S available oct 12th, with new A5 processor, 8MP camera that looks quite awesome, and siri the personal assistant. Tempting.

What's the google experience like on an iphone? How does it work with google apps accounts and gmail/calendar/picasa?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I think the only thing people have issue with is google contacts on iphone, I don't know I skipped it. Other than that gmail as exchange pushes perfect and so does all the calendar sync stuff. Never had an android but I would hope its all native and perfect.

I think I am skipping the 4s or waiting a while at least, I really wanted a bigger screen.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I have gmail and contacts integrated into my iPhone along with a connection to a company exchange server. Indistinguishable.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Calendar Sync on iThings works with actual Exchange but only works with gmail if you have paid Google Apps.

When you have Android, your calendar is just synchronized, period.

Handruin

Administrator
Calendar Sync on iThings works with actual Exchange but only works with gmail if you have paid Google Apps.

When you have Android, your calendar is just synchronized, period.

I'm confused then. My work and google calendars both synch on my iPhone and I don't have the paid Google apps. Am I confusing this synchronization with something else or is there something else that is obtained by having the paid service?

Handruin

Administrator
I believe so. This is what I just tested. Tell me if it's what you would expect for real time sync.

1.) I enabled push notifications on my phone (I normally leave this off).
2.) I opened google calendar and created a new event for today. I had no events for today in my google calendar.
3.) I open my calendar on my iPhone and the event displayed. It took about 3-5 seconds but it was visible. The event is in a different color because I manage two calendars on my phone (work and personal). Work is exchange-based, personal is of course gmail calendar.

If that isn't a real time sync, it's still good enough for my needs for calendar synchronization.

Last test was removing the event. I removed it from gmail and waited about 30 seconds before checking my calendar on my iPhone. It was gone as soon as I opened the calendar. That makes me think that the 3-5 seconds I noticed earlier may just have been the lag time from the push update event.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Perhaps my customer's issue was having to enable Push then.

As I recall, the way push stuff works without Activesync is kind of a hack in the first place. Something about invisible SMSes or the like.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Gmail calendar sych works via exchange/push somehow. You must have push enabled, push is quick but it isn't instant. Push is designed to not use a lot of battery, somehow a push server reaches out to your phone only when it has something for you. Seems to be some sort of direct contact service, I know hactivated phones on something like tmobile have to have a pushfix workaround. Seems like a component of hactivation gives you a non unique push identifier so it can't sort you from the crowd of other hactivation users. Reading up on that could give you an idea on how push services work.

I have the gmail account set up as exchange and it is set to sync mail and calendars under the exchange account, I left out contacts. Events appear on the phone without any action taken, notifications happen on my phone for new events on my gmail calendar even if I never opened the calendar on the phone. Then on my work PC I have gmail calendar sync running to push/pull events from my outlook calendar to/from gmail calendar. That is a synch every 15 minutes or on demand. Whole thing works really well for me.