tone generator and wand and a wiremap tool

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm looking to buy a tone generator and wand and a wiremap tool. In the past I've used a Fluke MICROSCANNER PRO and it worked well for my purposes. I'd prefer to spend around $200. Does anybody know of one of quality?

ddrueding

Fixture
All the punchdown tools I've used were uncomfortable unless the handle was soft; too much impact in the palm of the hand. Can't say I have any model recommendations, I no longer do that kind of thing.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The tone generator I used to have came from BlackBox.
I got tired of doing network wiring a long time ago; I swapped mine to an electrician in exchange for a free wiring job.

No idea who made my punch down tool. It has a yellow handle. I do know that I can do a better job with a plastic butterknife than with the crappy ones that come with punchdown blocks.

Wavemaker

What is this storage?
Howell said:
I'm looking to buy a tone generator and wand and a wiremap tool. In the past I've used a Fluke MICROSCANNER PRO and it worked well for my purposes. I'd prefer to spend around $200. Does anybody know of one of quality?

I like the Fluke tone generator and probe set.

Punchdown tool (66/110 blades) I stick with Paladin -- the quality-to-price ratio is closer to something resembling sanity without dipping into the realm of short-lived junk.

http://www.paladintools.com/view_category.php?id=62

ddrueding said:
...too much impact in the palm of the hand.

Tip of the week: Use a common work glove on the hand doing the puchdown work. :cat:

PS: You haven't lived a complete life unless you've dealt with terminating and splicing fibre-optic cabling. :crap: :frusty: :twistd:

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance

Optical cabling kit is all dreadfully expensive -- a few hundred US$ for the cheap stuff, a few thousand for the typical stuff. You need special tools for cutting, polishing, and fusing.

The thicker multi-mode optical cable is hard to deal with and the thinner single-mode variety (typically used for long-haul applications) is even worse to deal with.

ddrueding

Fixture
I had to do a 1km run with fiber. I just got a longer piece that was already terminated and coiled the leftover on each end. There is no way I want to screw around terminating fiber.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks guys I'll check them out.

I also rarely do cabling anymore either unless we are short staffed or I'm troubleshooting work done by another company. This time it was the phone guys.