Top 10 Reasons You Know You're a Computer Geek

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Jake the Dog said:
James said:
I think these two are mostly for those of us who live outside the US but visit once a year or so :

110: The first thing you do when you visit a new city is find out where the computer stores are.

haha. you bet i do. if all else fails, there's always a fry's not too far away (on the west coast anyway). tokyo is easy too, the 2 miles of akihabara pretty much stumble across you before you get to it.
Guys don't laugh about it... but I did exactly the same thing last year on my trip to California with my family.
The first thing I asked my dad when we arrived is San Jose (I still remember his angry gaze!) was to leave everything for later and get to Fry's... :lol:

It was an "Egyptian" Fry's... really kitsch for my delicate European standards (OK, here laugh!) but had literaly EVERYTHING... :eek:

alpha754293

What is this storage?
#121 When you can convert binary <-> hex <-> decimal
a) without a calculator, in your head
b) faster than a calculator could
#122. when you can decode messages written in Hex...and instantaneously recognize it.

Handruin

Administrator
alpha754293 said:
#121 When you can convert binary <-> hex <-> decimal
a) without a calculator, in your head
b) faster than a calculator could
#122. when you can decode messages written in Hex...and instantaneously recognize it.

Welcome Alpha! How'd you find us? :) Glad to see you stop in, I hope you hang around.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
119. You're starting to regret your pledge not to shave until "Duke Nukem Forever" is released.
Can somebody tell to Mark that Duke Nukem forever might in fact never get out?

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
Mercutio said:
119. You're starting to regret your pledge not to shave until "Duke Nukem Forever" is released.
Can somebody tell to Mark that Duke Nukem forever might in fact never get out?

Hey, button that lip, it WILL come out. ;) I did not make and pledges thank goodness.

alpha754293

What is this storage?
Mercutio said:
Alpha followed the link PeeWee posted in this thread.

Maybe some more people will come as well.

*nods* uh huh....been on the SR forum for a bit now. (even before the loss) so...just didn't know that this site even existed til now..hehe

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Oh man. I hadn't read this in awhile. There's some good stuff here. We need a "Best of SF" forum or something. This and the pictures thread.

Anyway...

109. You know what program someon is running by the pattern of their drive activity lights.
110. You can whistle at 110 baud
111. You feel a little bit sorry for the poor hard disks that end up in vomit boxes.
112. You find the topic of power supply fans a fulfilling afternoon's discussion.
113. You have more email addresses than fingers.
114. ... and you get antsy if you don't check all of them ten or twelve times a day.
115. You think "Mission Impossible", "Independence Day", "GoldenEye", "The Net" and "Anti-Trust" are comedies, based on the slightly unrealistic protrayal of computers as plot devices ("FMV at 9600bps! HA! HA! HA!")
116. You knew which movie the above (#115) parenthetic comment refers to.
117. You think Darren Arrenofsky's "π" (that's a pi symbol) is way cooler than "The Matrix".
118. You've actually repaired a PC by using "Directory Services Restore Mode".
119. You've spotted factual errors in Ace's Hardware articles.
120. You've gotten out of the shower 'cause you heard the new email notification on a PC.
121. You're waiting for the day you can pass your Northgate Omnikey on to your eldest son.
122. "Clippy" is your idea of an epithet.
123. You openly wept the first time you saw GLQuake on a Voodoo card.
124. You've replaced all the torx screws in a Compaq with normal ones, in case you ever see the damn thing again.
125. You've salvaged screws from a chassis you had to throw away "just in case"
126. You've awakened in the morning with a keyboard-print on your forehead, and you aren't a student.
127. You've met the Wizard of Yendor... as a Tourist (google if you don't get it)
128. You've gotten a greeting card with the punchline "Straight from the horse's mouse" more than two years in a row.
129. You've read up on Intercal, and you think it's more funny 'cause you know they aren't actually joking.
130. You've made up a 25-digit Microsoft Product Key number, and had it work.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:

No way, if you actually did that I would say you need to head to Vegas because you're a lucky bastard.

SteveC

Storage is cool
131. You sometimes get paid in used computer hardware, instead of cash... and you like it.

Mercutio said:
113. You have more email addresses than fingers.
114. ... and you get antsy if you don't check all of them ten or twelve times a day.
114a. You're on vacation and you get antsy if you don't check all of them ten or twelve times a day.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
131. You can decode a BSOD without looking it up in a MS knowledge base article.
132. You keep empty computer HW/SW boxes and it has nothing to do with Christmas or birthday present wrapping.
133. You know some tcp/udp port number functions.
134. When the only person arguing that you're not a computer geek is yours truely.
135. When the cable rat-nest attached to your computer has never bothered your aesthetic sense.
136. After you've caught a bad case of computer case envy.
137. You've been caught drooling after talking to someone with a newer machine than yours.
138. You can out tech-talk a salesman at a computer store.
139. Within one minute You desperately want to throttle the tech at the other end of the computer phone-support line.
140. Learning the capabilities of a new calculator is considered a great joy.
141. You visit your local college bookstore to simply find out if HP has released its new calculator yet.
142. you've actually had a calculator modified to improve its capabilities.
143. When your collection of free computer-oriented promo tee-shirts out-number all other forms of clothing owned.
144. You've actually purchased a calculator watch.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
timwhit said:
Mercutio said:
No way, if you actually did that I would say you need to head to Vegas because you're a lucky bastard.
It used to work, once upon a time ...

P5-133XL said:
139. Within one minute You desperately want to throttle the tech at the other end of the computer phone-support line.
It never takes anywhere near that long. :(

141. You visit your local college bookstore to simply find out if HP has released its new calculator yet.
RPN rules!

144. You've actually purchased a calculator watch.
Just one? I think my first was circa 1975. :eekers:

Mercutio

I was born in 1975. :)

145. You've overclocked a palmpilot
146. You have a favorite version of LISP
147. You've described computers as fast as 1.5GHz as "old"
148. You've made your own SCSI cables
149. When you get together with another geek, you start comparing the scars you have from working on PCs ("...And this is the one I got from that damned Q500...)
150. While walking through the CS or MIS department of a University, a professor has pointed a group of students your way and said "He knows more about this than I do."

mangyDOG

Learning Storage Performance
Cliptin said:
112: You plan your next housing arrangment not on quality of schools or distance to the store but on broadband availability.

LoL, my last three houses have all been selected on this basis. My first question to the agent is "is it OK to install cable"

Mercutio

blakerwry said:
oh yes, and Merc.. do you actually make out to the windows closing sound?

My love life is something of a sore subject (indescribably painful, truth be told, and I mean that in a "curse each new day as I awaken yet again" sort of way), but yes, I do have a fond memory along those lines.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Prof.Wizard said:
It was an "Egyptian" Fry's... really kitsch for my delicate European standards (OK, here laugh!) but had literaly EVERYTHING... :eek:
You should see the one in Canoga Park; it is based on Alice in Wonderland. :mrgrn:

fool

Learning Storage Performance
153. You’re online on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day/Boxing Day/New Years Eve/New Years Day. Or whichever dates are significant in your religion

Mercutio

Well Coug, you're still one step better than me. I don't have human contact OR religion.

Also I noticed that the link I made to SR (This is funny as opposed to pathetic) is 404'd. Rather than link, since SR seems to change its BB system annually, here's the pathetic-ness (which I'm rather proud of, 'cause I wrote it, and which I know will be backed up if its posted here) in question:

Ultra Nexus said:
Are this drives good??? I`m planing on getting on myself but I`d like to hear some experiences.

Anybody?

Thanks!

Mercutio said:
Good how?

I mean, a Maxtor 540X isn't exactly saintly, insofar as your can apply moral valuations to a disk drive. It's not like they're aiding the sick and needy of Calcutta, is it?

Good to eat? Well, no, not that either. A bit too crunchy for my unrefined tastes. Now, a U6, broiled with olive oil and a tiny bit of lemon pepper and a nice, dry white... anyway, nope, they're not good to eat, either. They're downright bad for your teeth, in fact.

Good as a weapon? I can't say for sure. My 536X makes a satisfying noise when I drop it on the floor, and it doesn't seem like it would come apart easily, so it'd probably serve in a pinch in hand-to-hand combat. I prefer AOL discs for accurate long-range conflict, however, and I find that Compaq's 486-era machines make superior bludgeons. Let's call the 540X fair-to-middling in that regard.

Good as an glider or parachute? Well, I've already mentioned that the behavior of my 536X, when dropped from height, has a tendency to fall and make a satisfying noise. I'd say that it's lacking in parachute-type qualities, and with its bricklike shape, would not likely generate sufficient lift to remain aloft if hoisted skyward. You really need a Western Digital for that sort of thing.

Good stepstools or ladders? There's the rather high cost-per-foot stacking ratio, but Maxtor makes a solid product. I'd say a stack of 540Xs would be a pretty good for that.

Good musical instruments? Hm. Probably not. You really need a SCSI interface and rather a lot more RPMs than the 5400rpm Maxtor has to achieve musical greatness. While the dropping-thud is no-doubt satisfying, it doesn't match the soft percussive joy of its older brother, the 740X, or the constant wall of noise found in some of Seagate's finely-tuned masterpieces.

Good as a boat anchor? There are certainly some more qualified contenders in that field! I think we can safely say that long-term standouts such as Micropolis carry that field, with some of IBM's more recent efforts dredging the sea-floor behind them.

Good as a prop element in a Dogma '99 motion picture? Well, yes. Great, in fact. The Maxtor 540X offers no pretense of enhanced performance, no particular visual flair or exciting special effect, and it's dull thud upon striking carpet is probably as much as a Dogma '99 filmmaker is likely to capture with the recording devices they use.

There you have it. Maxtor 540X. Not a saint. Not a weapon. Not food. Not a parachute. Maybe a stepstool. Not a boatanchor. But a marvelous film prop.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
155. You've set up an old computer as a firewalling bridge in your kitchen or your bathroom.
156. You have set up said bridge to dump a copy of its log files to a printer, just to be extra safe.*
157. It's a receipt printer.

(Note: If said printer and bridge are in the bathroom, plan carefully with respect to the storage of the receipt paper rolls and the toilet paper rolls. Do not use your syslog as toilet paper!)

* Puns not intended. Honest.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
P5-133XL said:
134. When the only person arguing that you're not a computer geek is yours truely.

Uhh, I've been getting a lot of practise with this. My wife thinks I'm a geek, only because I spend my days and evenings working with computers. :eekers:

I mean, come one! I even sleep normally! (...oh yeah, even geeks sleep...forgot about that one...)

Mercutio

158. You've taken an entire day to rearrange your hundreds of gigabytes of media files, it's 1:05AM, and you're not done yet.
159. ...but in your paleotaxonomy, you find data files from BBSes you last visited in 1990.
160. A hardware manufacturer has written custom firmware based on your call to their tech support.
161. You gauge empty space by its mini-ITX potential.
162. You've overclocked your pointing device.
163. You actually own two bluetooth devices that aren't phones or PDAs.
164. You know what Bluetooth was named after.
165. You've washed a keyboard in the dishwasher (they're top-rack safe).

ddrueding

Fixture
166. Youve read this entire thread straight through and never stopped laughing or missed a reference

Thanks guys, this made my night! ;)