Tuning 2003 server for workstation use

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It wouldn't delete the drivers, but it wouldn't help much, either.
You could use a program like Driver Collector to snag the files you need from a working Windows install.

If that works. And it often doesn't.

You really just need to know the generic names of your video, Wireless, modem, NIC, sound and maybe system chipset. Belarc Advisor may help with that. If you know that your NIC is a Realtek 8139, it's easy enough to dig that driver up where ever.

Is it worth the effort, speedwise, to do this? Panasonic seems to have a pretty stripped down version of XP to start with, and, I've cut it down even more.

Wonder if it's worth the effort, though I do like 2003 Server a LOT.

Greg

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, through my own stupidity, ended up installing 2003 Server on my server box.

Took awhile, mainly do to my lack of knowledge of Megaraid software, and, how to get logical drives back up, and 'online' and working.

The really simple problem, of taking a drive, and mounting it under Megaraid, as a single disk, without it being a logical drive, or, in this case, of putting a
single disk back 'online', and, correcting errors.

Good news is Windows did do a job of fixing the corrupt files caused by being stupid enough to 'hotswap' out of a Supermicro 'hotswapable' box. Lucky I didn't kill a drive.

Only gliches seem to be that 2003 Server doesn't allow Windows programs to change operating system files. I've got a copy of Encarta that won't install, because of that, and, I had problems with installing Office 2000, for the same reason. Had to install by piece, and, figured out it had something to do with server stopping files from accessing the internet on install.

Overall, it could have been much worse. Haven't lost many files, and, I now have a faster, more to my liking OS.

Great stuff, and thanks to all that posted in this thread. Used pretty much every bit of it.

G

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Another question:
I've been transfering some multi-gigabyte size files between drives on my system. It's been slow. I went into the settings window, and, checked optimize for 'background services' vs programs. I'm wondering if setting the Memory usage to 'system cache' would help as well?

I've noticed the system is using way more cpu when transfering files, but speed isn't up all that much.

Thanks

Dr Greg

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
OK: observation time. I've noticed that although the performance settings were set for programs, the programs just don't use the cpu, or the memory I've got in the system.
So, I set them to favor the operating system, 'background services' and 'system cache' in the advanced performance options under system properties.

While I was mucking around, I also set a pagefile split, about 3k-4k each on a dedicated 36 gig Cheetah, and, on the 90-121 mb/sec C drive raid 0 I boot off.

End result has been a much snappier system, and, much faster application performance.

NOT what I expected. Now at least the system is using the memory, and CPU capability, in part, that it wasn't using prior, and, the programs weren't either.

Dr G

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
One more question:
How would one go about really taking computer knowledge from novice to system admin level? What courses, books, etc. are effective teaching tools, for the least amount of money possible?

What courses, or certificates, are considered worth something in the computer industry?

Thanks

Greg

ddrueding

Fixture
I always learned by doing. Use google if you can't figure it out, and ask someplace (like here) if google returns nothing.

Install VMWare Server (free) on a machine, and start building a network of virtual machines. Make them interact. Make some of the client machines every version of windows/linux you can think of. Make a file server a web server and an e-mail server. See if you can get it all to work happily.

That should keep you busy for a few years ;)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Certificates can come in handy on occasion, problem is most employers like to see a combination of education and experience. Chances of getting a sys admin job based on say just an MCSE cert are slim to none. You need to show that you have experience actually managing servers. Bit of a catch 22. Do you have admins at the school(s) you teach at? You might be able to shadow them for a while, sneak your way into the simple stuff and see what happens.

BTW, totally off topic, but it's related to my use of the word "an" before MCSE. My mind tells me this is the correct use, but my wife insists that "an" should only be used before a word that starts with a vowel. She wants proof from the Net. Stakes are high :) Can anyone help? "a" would make sense if MCSE was instead Microsoft.....

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
She is correct, "an" only occurs before a vowel. I suppose that the exception to the rule would be if it was used as a subject. At least that was what I was taught, in school.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I think you'll have to pull out a paper style guide.
But I found this question almost directly addressed on this website:
http://www.grammarcheck.com/archives/04-2005.htm

Carol: Acronyms can be tricky, because sometimes people read them as acronyms while at other times they read what the acronym stands for. For example, we often read "MS Word" as "Microsoft Word" rather than "M. S. Word." The acronym "MRI" presents a similar problem for some people. And to make matters more confusing, what about acronyms that form real words, such as "MADD" (for Mothers Against Drunk Driving) and "NOW" (for National Organization for Women)? Most people tend to read (and speak) these acronyms as words. Here's what we suggest when acronyms are used:

Determine how an acronym would sound when spoken, and then choose the correct article to use.

Examples:

1. "MS Word" should be read as "M. S. Word," so the correct article to use is "AN" since "M" begins with a vowel SOUND.

2. "MRI" should be read as "M. R. I.," so the correct article to use is "AN" since "M" begins with a vowel SOUND.

3. "MADD" typically is read as "mad" (e.g., a MADD rally), so the correct article to use is "A" since "mad" begins with a consonant SOUND.

I used this search string in google
style guide "use of a and an" acronyms