Tyan and nVidia

ddrueding

Fixture
Very nice indeed. I'd say that qualifies as the "ultimate workstation motherboard" to date. Dual Opteron, Dual true 16x PCI-E, PCI-X@133, SATA II.

Drool.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've had bad experiences with every nforce chipset thusfar. Problems with IDE, or boards being picky WRT RAM. Volume control issues with the MCP, stability problems when nforce2s are paired with XP3200s.

Taken as a whole, the flaws I have seen in the nforce chipsets might be acceptable in an enthusiast board, but I wouldn't sell one in a general-purpose end user system, let along a workstation quality product.

Handruin

Administrator
Anandtech said:
One of the big questions that we first wanted answered was whether or not nForce Pro and nForce 4 Ultra/SLI were the same silicon with different parts turned on/off. NVIDIA maintains that they are different silicon, and it is entirely possible that they are. They did, in fact, give us transistor counts for nForce 4 and nForce Pro:

nForce 4: 22 Million Transistors
nForce Pro: 24 Million Transistors

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I have to admit as to being impressed with the I/O throughput potential for the Nforce Pro chipsets on a multi-CPU Opteron board.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Wow, anyone see a block diagram of that board? I especially like the seperat PCIX busses.

ddrueding

Fixture
Has anyone found them in the channel yet? I'm sure I could find a client that "needs" an upgrade. Some of them are so geeky that me drooling over it justifies the upgrade.

Handruin

Administrator
It seems like they have. From a cost standpoint it seems like the right move for them. Why support a PCI & AGP bus when you can take PCIe bus (which supports graphics) and divide the lanes any way you see fit? It doesn't seem useful now due to limited availability of PCIe peripherals, but down the road it makes it easier.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Perhaps I was naive in thinking that there would be boards with both AGP and PCI-E graphics slots.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
After reading the article, I'm not even sure that this chipset is going to get out of the lab, let alone onto production boards.