Vday

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Yup.

Several years ago I installed shelving in my bathroom on Valentine's Day.

That's the most memorable Valentine's Day I've ever had, actually.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I dislike it as a concept, too much focus on one day.

Besides, this year may be harder than others. We'll see. :(

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It's a lot easier than Thanksgiving. It isn't a national holiday, and you aren't expected to visit *and* get along with your family.

GMac

Learning Storage Performance
Completely irrelevant to me (no "significant other" and no intention of looking for one) - the date's only significant this year because I'm due to set up a broadband router for a friend of mine then.

GM

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Mercutio said:
Valentine's day a hard time for anyone else?

Just think it as the day that Al Copone let loose with his infamous massacre in Chicago.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Howell said:
I dislike it as a concept, too much focus on one day.
I agree....its just another Carlton sponsered holiday as far as I'm concerned.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Will Rickards WT said:
Ah valentine's day...
The day on which my first girlfriend dumped me.
The wench! Anyways, its obvious that you've become a better man without her Will :D

SteveC

Storage is cool
It's my parents' anniversary, and yet another way for the rest of the world to remind me that I'm alone.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think there's a real pressure for those who don't have any body. You go to the market and there's roses and hearts everywhere, and I can remember the times it was a special day, but this year it's just "Saturday", and I'm pretty much going to work through it, thinking the whole time that I'm a failure as a human being for NOT being able to celebrate it.

For the last two weeks, more than usual, I've been thinking that the world wasn't made for people like me. Granted, depression and alienation are pretty much the extent of my mental state to begin with, but I really feel the pressures of social norms at this time of year.

Used to be pretty much my favorite time of year, too.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
But surely you are used to ignoring the grosser stupidities of humanity? Days of a heightened commercial and cultural stupidity are opportunities. Seize them!

For example, on Christmas Day just gone, I explained to my family that I might need to spend the day with Belinda's family, and explained to Belinda that I might need to spend the day with my family.

That gave me the opportunity to spend an entire day at Lake Wendouree doing this:

Pacific_Black_Duck.jpg

Be resolute.

Reject the bullshit, refuse to see it, and just do your own thing.

Mercutio

The problem with that attitude, Tannin, is that the holiday does hold meaning for me. It's easy to sit back and not give a shit about xmas. I don't believe in that. I believe in the idea of Valentine's day. I love the idea of having a special day to celebrate romantic love.

I don't care about the commercial aspects of the holiday - although they are doing a phenomenal job of reminding me about the other parts, but the fact that I have nothing to celebrate makes it all the worse.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
A very large, blood-red, pointy-horned demon once said, "The dreams of youth become the regrets of maturity."

Actually it may have been Tim Curry who said that. I'm not too sure.

I have to start over. Somehow.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Sorry ... just thought I'd throw that comment in here for no particular reason whatsoever.

As you were, gentlemen.

me

What is this storage?
i said:
A very large, blood-red, pointy-horned demon

Actually it may have been Tim Curry

Sounds like perfectly natural confusion to me. :eek:

Mickey

Learning Storage Performance
If you have someone, it's a big deal. If you are single, it doesn't have nearly as much meaning. At least, that's been my observation.

Sucks to get dumped on V-Day, though.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
If I were dating someone I would institute a special day sometime else in the year and ignore Feb 14th.

OTOH, cheap roses are around for maybe a week after. Maybe I'd just offset it by a week.

No, I'd buy a dozen, refrigerate them and then give one every two days or something.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
GMac said:
Completely irrelevant to me (no "significant other" and no intention of looking for one).

More or less my sentiments as well. Never had any meaning even when I was with someone. I kind of like the idea of celebrating romantic love, only I think it should be done every day. A dozen roses or a box of chocolates once a year seems contrived and commercial. In fact, with the person I was with, neither would have went over particularly well anyway.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
For the last two weeks, more than usual, I've been thinking that the world wasn't made for people like me.

You sound like my brother. I think his exact line was there's no place in the world for me. For what it's worth, I get that way from time to time. It's normal.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The proper frame is to remember that the world wasn't made; it just came into existence. Therefore, the world wasn't made for anybody, let alone you or me.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Sometimes I think that there is a given quantum of madness, irrelevance, and idiocy here at Storage Forum.

I have an unexpected and enforced holiday behind bars, and - hey presto! me and I step up and maintain the lunacy factor.

errr .... excuse me, I'm off topic.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
i said:
A very large, blood-red, pointy-horned demon once said, "The dreams of youth become the regrets of maturity."

Actually it may have been Tim Curry who said that. I'm not too sure.
Legend?

Anyway, my wife & I do the typical stuff. I'll buy her a card & some flowers, which I only do a few times a year. No chocolates, typically, but some small gift. Probably will do chocolates this year: Get a sort-of swan-song box of Fannie May Pixies & Meltaways (FM is closing their Chicago-land factory & most -- if not all -- retail stores).

The main event is dinner at a nice restaraunt. Typically at a place where dinner for two exceeds $100. Magnum's is a favorite, but we do try to partonize different places. We're changing a bit this year & going out with another couple to a more casual (and less expensive) place, Lorenzo's.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
This sucks, my girlfriend went to Texas, which leaves me sitting here in front of my computer with nothing to do.

Well at least I have lots of time to recover files from the hard drive that just decided to get corrupted.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Not that I enjoy the commercial aspects of Valentines day at all. I hate wasting money on stupid gifts, and I hate it even more when someone wastes money on gifts for me.

I do enjoy time spent together, which is far more important than a dozen roses ever will be.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
It started around 5:45pm.

Due to the crazy ventilation system of this apartment building, any smell that appears in the hallway gets drawn into all the apartments, including mine.

Over the span of an hour there came several different perfumes, seeping into my apartment through the gaps around my front door. Various people all dressed up and arriving for a quiet dinner in, various people all dressed up and leaving for an exciting evening out...

And then at 6:45pm ... the sweet scent of revenge:

The smell of at least one ferociously burnt steak.

Haha! Take that, happy couple! Your dinner's ruined! No Valentines Day feast for you! No - just one stinky slab of charcoal! Bwahaha!

:-?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
i said:
Over the span of an hour there came several different perfumes, seeping into my apartment through the gaps around my front door.

I don't know about you but perfume makes me as nauseous as gasoline fumes. I feel genuinely sorry for you having to put up with that all day. :cry:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The only reason why I noticed it is V-day today is because I was curious and clicked on this thread. I forgot it was the 14th today. Does it tell you how much I care about it?

Mercutio

Today I was in a retail establishment where a salesman kept following me around and asking if I had purchased a present for my "sweetie". He didn't take me seriously when I explained the particulars of my situation, and continued to pester me.

I didn't touch him. Didn't say a word. Just backed him into a corner until he was sliding in a floorward direction.

Today has been a white-knuckles, seeing-red rage kind of day.

I hate the whole fucking world.