Video Card Search

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
David:

I did a bunch of checking, and, most of the reviews find the 1600 half the speed of the 1900, and, about the same half speed of the XL 800-850, which are half the price. WHY????

Also, since you DO tend to overclock, WHY are you going with a passive cooling solution? I just got my 800 back from Gigabyte, but, I'm NOT doing another passive cooling solution, because I tend to sit for 8 hours playing games, the same, your gaming machines do.

The top end Nvidia DOES KICK BUTT, and, in your favorite mobo, should be able to do the two cards, one out, sli stuff. Very cool for Quake 4...;-)

Greg

Sol

Storage is cool
You should be able to get a factory overclocked version of that XFX card for another $20-25. Normally I wouldn't suggest people bother with factory overclocked cards but all the reviews I've read suggest that the XFX7900GT one is noticably faster than the stock 7900GT cards.

The top end Nvidia card at the moment is the 7950GX2, which is essentially just a single card constructed from two 7900GT cards. It's roughly the same speed as two 7900GTs in SLI but you can't use two of them (the 7950GX2s) in SLI. Given the price your probably just as well off getting two 7900s if you have an SLI board than getting a GX2...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
IIRC what I read about the 7950GX2, it consumes significantly less wattage than two whatever else nVidia cards in SLI. So given the choice, I would buy a single 7950GX2 rather than bothering with a dual-card SLI setup.