Viore HD 1080p 60HZ lc40vf80 for 389 at costco?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I bought a little 21.5" Samsung monitor at Costco.dollars, but really 175, since they didn't include a DVI cable with it.

That made me think it was a poor value, small, and I decided to return it.

Last time I was in, I noticed the 27" Samsung monitors had come down from 349 to 329. Still high priced.
Next was they had a very good deal on a 1080p 32" Panasonic TV for 300 dollars.
That was what I was going to get, but, around the corner they just got in these new TV's.
They look a bit washed out, since they come from the factory with neutral settings.

Still, using the Nvidia tuning stuff, I was able to get a beautiful picture. Pretty bare bones.
30 dollars and Costco will warranty it for 5 years.

The thing is 40", does 1920 X 1080. No DVI connection, and, the screen sucked using the VGA connection. Going with a DVI to HDMI improved the picture considerably, and it looks like with the 30 bucks in warranty, it's the best deal on a computer monitor/tv I've found.

Don't know anything about the company, and haven't found much. I will say
it's one hell of a lot better then a 27" Samsung. Yes, it's 90 bucks more. Makes the home theatre complete.
4viorejudiDench.jpg

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Well it is is cheap. Whether that is a good deal is subject to interpretation. :) I'm not familiar with that brand and the only reference to the model seems to be at that retailer. Most of the name brand TVs are about $600. I guess Violare may be using LG or similar panels, but somehow cutting corners on the components to keep the price low.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I was really just after a decent monitor, and, for the price, it's a great monitor. Cheesy
remote, o DVD player,etc.
When it first Came out, I gather it was over 500 dollars. It looks like they had 758 of em, and were looking to move them quickly, with Costco buying them up. I can't help but wonder if they use the same screen, and they are all made in the same place, much like
shoes.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Seems to play movies best. When scrolling or typing it takes awhile for the type to be seen properly. It also doesn't really run at 1900X 1080. That's too big, and it runs off the screen. It's currently running at 1808 X 1016 to fit it to the screen.

It might be that the custom settings are effecting it, but, it might also be this is the first day I've really leaned on it, running 3 bond movies in a row. They all looked very good.

It might also be I'm too close. It's sitting on a desk, and I was about 3 feet away. OK with the 37" but jury is out on this one. I've got the Blue tooth keyboard set up, so
I'm trying about 12 feet away, maybe 10, and it's not bad from here.

I've got 60 days to return it or buy the warranty.

LunarMist

I recall somebody (DD?) also had a TV with a pixel count that was not really what it claimed to be. Viewing distance should not be related to any of your observations. Leaning on it may not be so good for the panel, but effects are usually transitory.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup. I bought a panel that claimed 1080p but was in fact 1680x1050 or thereabouts. It is now running at that lower native resolution as a monitor, but I do not trust it do properly display 1080p video. I forget the make/model, but it is somewhere here in the last couple months.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Thanks.
I looked but couldn't find anything. I'll turn it back inside 60 days, and hope the other TV's have come down in price.

If I wasn't using this as a computer monitor, I'd probably be delighted with the color to begin with, and, I don't think most humans can tell the difference between true and faked 1920.

What it has taught me is a 40" is a very nice size for this room.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
They advertised 1080p and doesn't do it? You should piss on it and let it dry before returning it. False advertisement makes me sick.

ddrueding

Fixture
Indeed. The one I ordered also stated 1080p clear as day. It wasn't until I viewed the EDID information directly that I found out what it actually wanted.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
The company's website does not list this model, but all the screens I saw smaller than 42" were 1366x768 native resolution.

The Panasonic TC-L32U3 is 1920x1080 and an IPS panel to boot. Note the 'U' in the model code, the same applies to the L37U3 and the L42U30. Expensive for a TV, but a bargain as a monitor.

Greg, the Panasonic you saw at CostCo would not have been native 1920x1080 - a L32U3 starts at $400 or so.

Sony also makes a handy 32" 1920x1080 for use as a monitor, but it's obviously not as good as the Panasonic.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Time:
Thanks.
I'll have to go look at the 32" Panasonic and pull the number.

I do like the 40" size. I guess I might test the Vizio 37" on the HTPC. The scrolling and vibrating of letter might be due to the old video card running at a non-native resolution.

Might be the Viore just uses a really cheap engine to drive the monitor as well.

The type vibrates when I scroll up and down in a file folder. The quality is a LOT different from this Vizio.

Costco made a big mistake with these. The most telling line in the manual is under the spec sheet:

"*Product specifications and appearance are subject to change without notice."

In other words, that 1920 X 1080 just means we might have some, might not, and whatever we get cheap we'll put in yours.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Please explain this to me:
Panasonics specs for their Plasma:
"Costco extends manufacturers warranty to 2 years
Screen Size: 42" Class (41.6" diagonal)
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Tuner: ATSC/QAM/NTSC
Display Capability: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p
24p Playback (2:3) "

So native resolution is 1024x768, yet they say it's 1080p capable? WTF?
Please explain.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Please explain this to me:
Panasonics specs for their Plasma:
"Costco extends manufacturers warranty to 2 years
Screen Size: 42" Class (41.6" diagonal)
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Tuner: ATSC/QAM/NTSC
Display Capability: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p
24p Playback (2:3) "

So native resolution is 1024x768, yet they say it's 1080p capable? WTF?
Please explain.

If a plasma or LCD is priced so low as to be "too good to be true", there's usually a catch. Earlier plasmas were 768p (or less). Costco are getting rid of these dated tech, elderly models. Make sure you get the exact model number and do online research (or just ask here), just a couple of letters difference could mean 1080p purity versus some EDTV garbage.

For your issue where 1920*1080 is too much, you need to set your overscan to 0. By default it will be set to remove NTSC garbage on the top/bottom edge etc.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Is it an LC40VF60? I don't see an overscan setting for that (unless its linked to a video mode?). Do go into advanced video settings and turn DNR off, along with the 120Hz mode which gives everything a soap opera look.

Still for $400 not too bad for the size.

LunarMist

720p plasma TVs are still made just as 720p LCD TVs are. In the 40" size you can typically buy both 720 or 1080 types at different points. Depending on viewing distance you may not need 1080 anyway, though I would not buy any TV for use as a monitor if it did not contain a true 1920x1080 panel.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Update:
Traded the Viore in. It was 1808 X something, to fill the screen.
1920 was well off the edges.

Ended up with a Westinghouse LD-4070Z 40 " "120 HZ".

Picture is considerably better with stock setting,so much I haven't used adobe to check the quality.
It displays at 1920 x 1080P, @ 60HZ.120 Turns out it uses MEMC to display at Hz, by filling in every other frame with a copy of the last. It won't take a 120 hz input, only 60 Hz. So the 120 Hz is another marketing gimic. More research I do, the more I find the MEMC actually creates blur, rather then solving it.

Came in another 120 over the 440 I had in the Viore, with a 5 year, onsite warranty through Costco.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Funny part is they both have the EXACT same interface for settings for the screen. Makes me think Viore is a company setup to dump flawed components by Westinghouse, or whoever owns Westinghouse.

We'll see how this one plays out.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I own a 42" Westinghouse LCD. I will never buy another Westinghouse TV. It's a piece of shit.

LunarMist

Why don't you tell us how your really feel? :mrgrn:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I own a 42" Westinghouse LCD. I will never buy another Westinghouse TV. It's a piece of shit.

If you think yours is a POS, you should have seen the Viore. Still, it didn't look bad with a Bluray James Bond movie playing...

I've got 90 days to return this one. It's really kind of sad. Costco used to do a bit of the shopping for me, buying quality products. Right now it's looking like a dumping ground
for TV companies trying to make a buck on selling junk components. 550 dollars is expensive, if the components are pretty much defective from the word go. The real cost should
be like 100-200 dollars for a disposable, short life television.

Timwhit: What caused you to come to this conclusion?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
That sucks. I wonder again, if all these things aren't made in the same Chinese factories, with the same pretty much cheap components? Sort of the giant shoe factory model for athletic shoes in the Shang Hai area.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Westinghouse hasn't made anything for more than 30 years. The brand is licensed to whoever pays to use it. For TVs, that's a company that named themselves "Westinghouse Digital LLC".

They were, or still are, under bankruptcy protection. The company lost a court case regarding breach of GPL copyright about a year ago, but ignored the injunction and continued to distribute 'Busy Box'. They've just been found guilty of contempt, so are now facing legal bills on top of whatever remedy the judge decides.

LunarMist

Why don't you buy a real TV, like a Panasonic or Samsung, etc.?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Only thing in a Panasonic 50" Plasma. Eats too much electricity.
The 32" they carry is a 720.

I am more or less making due with what I've got until something I really want comes into my price range.

Around 40", 60 hz 1080p. LED or LCD.

I'm not real happy with Samsung right now. Still, if something pops up for the right price, I'm on it.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Update:
Traded the Viore in. It was 1808 X something, to fill the screen.
1920 was well off the edges.

Ended up with a Westinghouse LD-4070Z 40 " "120 HZ".

Picture is considerably better with stock setting,so much I haven't used adobe to check the quality.
It displays at 1920 x 1080P, @ 60HZ.120 Turns out it uses MEMC to display at Hz, by filling in every other frame with a copy of the last. It won't take a 120 hz input, only 60 Hz. So the 120 Hz is another marketing gimic. More research I do, the more I find the MEMC actually creates blur, rather then solving it.

Came in another 120 over the 440 I had in the Viore, with a 5 year, onsite warranty through Costco.

HDMI doesn't have the bandwidth for 120Hz @ 1080p, you will tond that PC monitors that support 120Hz input use dual link DVI.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Probably that HDMI 1.3 can't while HDMI 1.4 can. The 1.4 standard has a substantially higher bandwidth than the previous norm.

Sol

Storage is cool
Actually I'm pretty sure 1.3 and 1.4 have exactly the same bandwidth. 1.4 just adds ethernet and the audio back channel (And the 3d frame packing format but that doesn't affect the cable). Hence the PS3 being able to handle 1080p/60fps 3d blurays with just a firmware update and no hdmi 1.4 hardware.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Just a reminder about Samsung:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrueding View Post
Indeed. The one I ordered also stated 1080p clear as day. It wasn't until I viewed the EDID information directly that I found out what it actually wanted.
DD, it was a Samsung unit you had... (And it just reinforced that Samsung makes very few decent products IMHO).

Having bought and returned both their 21.5 and 23" monitors for high prices, with no cables, or the 23 advertized 1080p, yet didn't have a DVI input, and, the 21.5 that came with no DVI cable, it seems they are capitializing on a reputation they don't deserve anymore, to maximize profits.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
it seems they are capitializing on a reputation they don't deserve anymore, to maximize profits.

And that is one of the reasons why I won't touch Samsung products anymore. (And I'll starting to sound like Merc in relation to certain drive manufacturers and S*nym, but my bais is againt Samsung).

Mind you, Samsung have managed to p*ss off certain companies that they make products for, namely Apple... Add in the various law-suites against Samsung at the moment, their future is not looking too good.