Visit the front page if you have a minute!

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
> What does this mean? www.phpbb.com

I don't know... what?... the roasted goat will be done in 9 hours, 42 minutes and 07 seconds?[/quote]

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Sounds to me like they are going to fix their broken Javascript in about seven hours time. :roll:

phpbb.png

Actually, my guess is that it means they are ready to roll out the shipping version of 2.0. Or something.

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
. .
Tea said:
Sounds to me like they are going to fix their broken Javascript in about seven hours time.

Are you seeing the "Invalid Bytecode" message on your browser? (...running IE 6.0 + SunJava RTE v1.4 here). Otherwise 07 hours, 39 minutes, and 30 seconds until roasted goat is done! :eek:

. .

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm curious to see what they are about to show us. Fortunately, I woke up very late this morning so I only have to wait for an hour.

Handruin

Administrator
For those who are interested, here are the words from the developer:

phpBB Group is very proud (and very relieved) to announce the release of phpBB 2.0.0, the "Golden Super Furry Dougs Birthday" edition.

This is the first stable release of phpBB2. Please visit http://www.phpbb.com/ for more information.

That is the exact quote, and no it's not my b-day. ;)

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Tea said:
It works in IE 5.0 and in Netscape 4.08, but not Opera. No big deal - I like my goats well done, anyway.
I'm sticking to my all-viewing all-seeing IE6 and away from me all you MS-haters... :evil:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Prof.Wizard said:
I'm sticking to my all-viewing all-seeing IE6 and away from me all you MS-haters... :evil:

WinXP, IE6, RAIDs of U-series drives, nvidia graphics cards... Prof, do you ever tire of being wrong? :p

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Handruin said:
As soon as I get home from work. ;) (hopefully in 45 minutes.)

Cool. What kind of new features will the final version have? I couldn't find anything on the PHPBB site as I glanced over it.

Will we really be able to see a big difference?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Handruin said:
timwhit said:
So when are we going to see the upgrade in action here?

Hmmm...I thought that you were doing it this afternoon as I haven't been able to access the site from noon till about an hour ago. I hope everything will go well during the update.

Handruin

Administrator
timwhit said:
Handruin said:

Cool. What kind of new features will the final version have? I couldn't find anything on the PHPBB site as I glanced over it.

Will we really be able to see a big difference?

There aren't any new features, there haven't been for a while now. The major difference is that it is released, and a few months down the road there will be plenty of mods to choose from. in the past it was not recommend to run a Release candidate forum in a live environment, but now that it has gone gold, the bugs have been worked out.

At this time you may not see a big difference. Throughout the next month I will be looking into small enhancments, such as a calendar, and new header menu, or possibly a new design for our site.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
One minor change I would make, is the color of the Administrator when they log in. That orange doesn't contrast properly with the blue-grey background.

BR

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
Handruin said:
timwhit said:
So when are we going to see the upgrade in action here?

Hmmm...I thought that you were doing it this afternoon as I haven't been able to access the site from noon till about an hour ago. I hope everything will go well during the update.

Nope, I was at work all day, the site was down around noon... You should have seen how bad the phpbb.com server was hammered, it was so bad MySQL was through connection errors constantly. They had a record high of 309 users online at one time. They're still around 170ish and it's running fine! All of the people including myself were basically causing a DoS. :)

I will try to upgrade later tonight. For those who are interested, check the beta site for a preview of the full version. ;) I need to run through my regular tests before I move it over.

As always, anything on the beta site can be removed without noticed. Please do not post important data.

Handruin

Administrator
Buck said:
One minor change I would make, is the color of the Administrator when they log in. That orange doesn't contrast properly with the blue-grey background.

BR

okie dokie. After I get 2.0 gold rolling, I will make some color changes.

-Doug

Handruin

Administrator
Buck said:
Testing in progress. This :eekers: Emoticon was not in the menu.

That's only at the test site. I keep the smilies in a separate location on my hard drives. They will be on the main site, don't worry. :)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Hey Prof, did you see the bug in Flash 6 whereby it keeps dl whatever huge intro u have stumbled on, even after you have hit stop or moved on to another site? Only way to stop it is to close all your browser windows! lol what a cock up.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Pradeep said:
Hey Prof, did you see the bug in Flash 6 whereby it keeps dl whatever huge intro u have stumbled on, even after you have hit stop or moved on to another site? Only way to stop it is to close all your browser windows! lol what a cock up.
Yeah, this really sucks... However I almost always see the intros (have DSL) so it doesn't create me much of a problem.

Hey, many companies in the Showcase area of Macromedia's site have created really cool Flash MX contents. I liked especially the BOSE advisor for the home theater system, how to place the speakers and the like...

I wonder how Mercutio sees that... nah, he will surely have a back-up Windows XP (with FlashMX) system for this case... :lol: :wink:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Has the forum been upgraded to the Final release of PHPBB yet? I still see "phpBB 2.0 RC-4 © 2001" at the bottom of all the pages. I didn't think the final release would be a release candidate.

Handruin

Administrator
timwhit said:
Has the forum been upgraded to the Final release of PHPBB yet? I still see "phpBB 2.0 RC-4 © 2001" at the bottom of all the pages. I didn't think the final release would be a release candidate.

Nope, not just yet, we are still at RC 4.0. Check out the feedback section, I'm working on a new design, and also some more mods for the forum. Everyone has been giving feedback on the design and Buck has received a copy of the design files so he can take a stab.

If you want to see what we will eventfully be, here is our beta test site:

http://beta.storageforum.net/phpgold/

http://beta.storageforum.net/phpgold/calendar.php

The site only has a few mods right now, and the new design is underway.

Please keep in mind that any information you post on the beta site will be deleted once it is ready to go live. The beta site and this site run off of two separate databases for testing purposes. The databases have the same data, except here is where the current data is.