Vista hangs on shutdown/restart

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I have a laptop here, Dell Inspiron 1525, on which I did a fresh Vista installation. I did not notice when it started to happen, but now it hangs during shutdown. Only in normal mode. It doesn't in safe mode. I tried to deactivate everything in msconfig to no avail. I even uninstalled the antivirus (Avira Antivir) and it still does it. There are no update left on WindowsUpdate.

This is Vista Home Premium 32bits. This job is already late, but is otherwise finished. I hope not to have to restart it all over again just for this issue.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm curently saving all the user data on another drive and I plan to reinstall everything. It's either a driver or something screwed up by one of the late updates from WindowsUpdate.

I might try to uninstall the Creative Lab integrated webcam before reinstalling to see if it fixes the issue. Aside that, I don't know what would cause it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Removing the webcam driver and software didn't fix it. I'm doing a system restore to a state much earlier in the installation process. I've left the office and I'll only know tomorrow if it worked or not.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It is the camera software that's causing the problem. The driver and software is provided by Dell. What can I do when the problem is caused by the manufacturer? I have another Gateway tower with a similar problem (except that it is the TV tuner that's causing a shutdown problem).

I cannot rewrite a driver when the one provided by the original manufacturer doesn't work. Thanks to shitty support by the OEMs, I'll have two unhappy customers. Great.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The good news is that Creative Labs has been relegated to obscurity and will soon be sold to serve as a brand name for some-or-other line of personal music players.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Dell often provides older versions of files if you click on the driver/software download and look for the 'older versions' link. Perhaps try a different Dell version or look for a version provided by someone else (Microsoft, the original manuf, or perhaps a different PC vendor)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
They make hand held video cameras, webcams, PMPs and they still make sound cards. Auzentech licenses some-or-other IP from them so they can claim full X-Fi compatibility with their high end sound cards, too.

Handruin

Administrator
They've recently released their latest sound card; the Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium HD. The review seemed decent, but I can't argue value for dollar that it's worth the cost. I've relied on onboard sound for the past 5-6 years now if not longer.