Vista How do I make it like XP?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I meant specifically in the 2.5" size, where the speed and capacity are too limited. However, 3.5" IDE drives are also practically EOL and did not exceed 750GB. I last used an IDE (3.5") boot drive in 1999. I understand that you have different needs and a good way to put old drives to use. I have piles of 200-250-300GB drives lying around that cannot be used.

ddrueding

Fixture
I actually just bought my first PATA drive in some time. Of course, it is an MTRON 1.8" ZIF socket 32GB SSD, but PATA nonetheless. ;)

When was the last time someone paid $500+ for a PATA drive?

LunarMist

I actually just bought my first PATA drive in some time. Of course, it is an MTRON 1.8" ZIF socket 32GB SSD, but PATA nonetheless. ;)

When was the last time someone paid $500+ for a PATA drive?

Every day. In the notebook forums it is quite common to read about people that use all sorts of SSD and adapter setups with their 1.8" systems.

One of the main criteria I used last year in selecting a small notebook was that it must contain a reasonably accessible, standard 2.5" SATA drive. I've upgraded the HD three times in less than a year and there are at least three more upgrades left in its usable life.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I compared the drives in two different books. The Inspirion, and my Panasonic CF-51, that is still ATA 5 or 6.
Is there any adapter to convert a IDE to Sata, in a laptop, and, does it work?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I compared the drives in two different books. The Inspirion, and my Panasonic CF-51, that is still ATA 5 or 6.
Is there any adapter to convert a IDE to Sata, in a laptop, and, does it work?

I've never heard of such and I seriously doubt that it exists because there just isn't any spare room for such inside a notebook.

LunarMist

Not that I could find. There are only cable/connector adapters for various IDE devices (ZIF, micro ATA, ATA, etc.) and they are difficult enough to squeeze into the drive space.

ddrueding

Fixture
Worth posting here. Originally a slashdot comment.

Unmourned. Unwept. Perpetually left unloved because your ugly older sister XP always came across with the full release and a happy ending while you were still whining that you wanted another 2G of RAM to show the boy how pretty you were.

I'm sorry I could never be the user you wanted, Vista. I tried. I really, really tried. I even had Millennium on my system for a while, so I know I'm not a completely unreasonable task manager. You wanted too much from me. You wanted to be my Trophy OS...pretty...never doing a real job...pretty...profligate with my hard-earned RAM...pretty. It wasn't enough. I'm so very, very sorry. Your sister XP gave me that dirty smile, and threw my RAM back in my face and performed like a trapeze artist. I was lost, dear Vista. She did everything I wanted, and she never said no, and she just kept going and going and going.

I don't care too much that you're prettier...much prettier. In fact, I'll never tell her, but sometimes when she's happily multi-tasking away, I close my eyes and pretend she's you.

But there's something about her that makes her a magnet. Something you'll never understand. Even when she's making my old CPUnit, do things I thought it could never, ever manage, she doesn't just swallow. She gargles.