WD 18TB and 20 TB

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So here we are a year after the first Seagate 24s and their 24TB EXOS are now about $480. The WD DC HC580 24TB are about $550. Are the prices expected to drop in 2025 or will it be very slowly?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Consumer demand for monster sized drives isn't very high, although Arstechnica and the like seem to think we might see 50TB drives by the end of the decade.

LunarMist

The goofball WD Elementals/My Books and Seagate One-touch/Expansion eternal drives are for the masses to have cheap local storage.
I agree they don't buy many internal drives now, but the EXOS and DC drives are made for the data centers. I assume the street prices of those are based on supply/demand for that sector and there is some seepage into the consumer market from larger system builders that buy in bulk and resell.

LunarMist

I read that WD is just squeezing another without HAMR, but Seagate should have the 30TB out with the HAMR.
Maybe the larger drives will bring down the 24TB prices. That's the minimum size I'd replace 18TB with.
I feel that all the uneven capacities, 10, 14, 18, 22, 26 TB will go away at some point. There are just a crazy number of SKUs to keep in production.