Web hosting

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
We've talked about this previously, but I can't find the thread(s). Any reason not to go with Dreamhost and their 8.95$ unlimited everything plan? The goal is only to host a web page for an artist, so she can show pictures/videos of herself and a short bio.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Thanks, that's actually very helpful. It's probably because they are big, but they look like they have issues very frequently. Maybe I'm off, but shouldn't a well planned architecture have less downtime than this? Everyone will experience a switch of server failure once in a while, but you're supposed to have redundancy and failover equipment to prevent downtimes when it happens. At least in my view.

I never remember Handruin's company. If they offer webhosting and aren't horribly expensive, then that would be my choice.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've had a Dreamhost account for seven or eight years. I have probably 30 domains hosted on my $100 a year account. Most of them are for very small web sites, either six or seven static pages or a Wiki or a Joomla site or the like. Almost all of them have MX handled by Google Apps (they make setup for that completely painless on their side, even part of the domain setup). My personal domain DOES use their in-house mail services but all it does is forward that email elsewhere and I don't think I've ever noticed that it was down.

I also have a hosting on Lunarpages. I have no strong feelings about their *nix servers but they're INCREDIBLY stingy with resources on their shared Windows hosts. For $250/year, I have a disk quota of just 5GB.

I've used a couple other hosting companies over the years but since I haven't done anything with them in the last three or four years I don't think my experiences with those are necessarily relevant.

Handruin

Administrator
The hosting company for SF is knownhost.com. I haven't used their shared hosting services which may be more like dreamhost. In fact I don't even see them offering shared hosting in their product lineup anymore so they may not be the most economical for what you want/need. We are using their VPS service for a little more segregation and control over the environment.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Just as a FYI, I know several people that use Dreamhost that are happy with them. They've also been around for quite a while.