what color is this?

Handruin

Administrator
I have a bet with someone...and I need your help. Please look at the sample 300 x 300 image below that was created with specific color values in photoshop. In your opinion, what color name best suits this color (ie green, red, etc...)?

color_test.png

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Ha! Another line of purples question. It is somewhere between blue and magenta - closer to magenta. This often causes problems because true violet is seen by the eye as the far blue-violet (short wavelengths) by blue receptors and also captured by the red receptors. It is sometimes advisable to avoid colors in these ranges as perceptions will differ. Also consider that such colors often suffer from metamerism in artifical lighting. Photographing such objects can be tricky because film and sensors do not often capture the distinctions appropriately, i.e., the red channel is usually totally insensitive to short wavelengths. An example would be certain kinds of flowers.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
For one, the color depends on the brightness and contrast setting for your monitor. With a 19" CRT and my standard high-contrast/low-brightness setting, it looks like Pantone Reflex Blue. As I maximize the brightness the color changes to Pantone Violet and finally Pantone Purple. These colors are of course from a printer's Pantone Matching System chart, but I have no other definitive standard to match them with.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I like Paugie's answer best - he had me in splits!

I was going to make a point but Buck already did (your monitor settings, etc.)

I'd say violet. To me purple is the non-yellow non-green smiley to the left of this text input box - the one with a key for the eyes. Lavender would be a very pale version of that. All this from somebody who checks with the expert as to whether a color is purple, violet or indigo - his 10-year old :D

Handruin

Administrator
For what it is worth this color name has a real specification. One person here has correctly identified the color...but that isn't the important part. I'm not looking for anyone to guess the correct name of the color. Truly this is an informal observation that I'm looking for. If someone pointed at a piece of clothing, a table cloth, or anything for that matter, and asked you "what color is that"...what would your gut reaction be? There is a reason for this, and I don't want to reveal too much info or that will taint the results. Once I hear from a few more people, I'll fill you in. This is just for fun, there is no money involved in this bet. :D

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Also wanted to say that with many colors, especially this one, the other colors around it matter quite a bit. I declared it purple comparing it to the clearly blue car in your avatar. But the FI theme I use is also heavily blue oriented. You might try to put it on a completely white page or a grey page and then ask people what color it is.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Based on Will's posting of the W3 color chart I'd have to change my answer to Indigo. Fortunatly this says a lot more about my ignorance of color names than my color perception.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I would have said purple (K.I.S.S.) but looking at the W3C chart, indigo it is.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Irrelevant of what W3C says, this appears to be royal purple. True indigo is a lighter colour.

ddrueding

Fixture
When sensative people ask me questions about color I begin with my Crayola disclaimer.

It all depends on how many colors you're working with.

crayons_beauty.jpg

In the 8-color box, it is certainly purple. In the 48-64-color box, it is likely indgo. But I bet the 96-color box uses a more elegant description, something along royal purple, lavender, or funky monkey blue.

*Sorry for such a random post. I've been up for over 30 hours and am STILL procrastinating cleaning the bathroom. Even though it MUST ce done within the next 4 hours (when the GF gets home from a long trip).

Sometimes I amaze even myself. :eekers:

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Mercutio said:
Violet would be a deep purple and lavender would be a pastel sort of purple.

We all came out to Montreux
On the Lake Geneva shoreline...

and so on and so forth...

Machine Head was probably the second or third album (not CD!) I bought, right after Come Taste the band and either before or after Stormbringer

:eekers:

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks everyone for you help. That image is in-fact Indigo according to the values listed on wikipedia. It has an RGB value of 75, 0, 130.

"Indigo is the color of light between 440 to 420 nanometres in wavelength, placing it between blue and violet"

I had a fun argument with a friend where she says it looks blue, and I said it looks purple. Either of us could be correct based on the variations in our monitors, (forum background color) and our eyes. But I made the claim that if this was shown to random people that more would say it looked like purple than blue. Even though you guys helped to prove some of my claim, it is clear there is no easy way to determine the color in that image. You guys way overanalyzed this, but that's what I like about all of you!

Hopefully you didn't mind my little experiment. :D

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Handruin said:
It has an RGB value of 75, 0, 130.

OK, two questions:

a: why do I get RGB values of 156, 217, 133?

b: why is it that when I reduce the green (using an image viewer/editor) nothing at all changes, but when I increase it, it looks comlpletely different?

Are we in different colour spaces or something?

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Groltz said:
There is a noticeable difference in the square's shade just viewing it in two different browsers.

What did you use?

I just tried viewing it in IE and FF and noticed no difference.

Handruin

Administrator
Weird...maybe this has something to do with the different browsers parsing a PNG file? Damn..maybe my test has failed miserably. I looked once again in photoshop, and it has the RGB values I mentioned. What else do I need to check?

Try downloading the picture directly. maybe that might make a difference?
http://www.handruin.com/public-image/color_test.png

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Actually, that's not strictly true. Once I logged in to SF on IE, I see a bluish tint to all SF pages rendered in IE versus FF. What I meant was, if you take the slight bluish look/tint away, then they appear to render the same.

Sol

Storage is cool
Yeah interestingly enough IE does seem to render the block noticably more blue to me as well. The rest of the page seems very slightly more blue. Opera looks exactly the same as firefox colour wise (IE Purple).

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
I displayed the block in both browsers at the same time and then resized the windows so they were small, cropped around the blocks, and right next to each other.

I took a screenshot of this and pasted it into Irfanview. In Irfanview, if you left click any point on the image the top border shows the RGB info for that point.

These two screenshots show the results. FF on the left, IE on the right. Since the cursor disappears during screenshots I drew in a pseudo-cursor in the form of a cross to show which half was being analyzed in the given screenshot.

Handruin

Administrator
Nice find on the difference. Looks like yet another poor implementation of PNG from Microsoft. They have a hard enough time with transparency as it is...now this.