What do you think of this laptop?

ddrueding

Fixture
The specs look great, and ASUS has a generally decent reputation for build quality, but it falls down with regard to service. Before you buy, just try to get a hold of their technical support. If you are happy with that experience, go for it.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
My friend's Asus notebook seems pretty solid. The screen has a poor viewing angle though.

Sol

Storage is cool
The specs are very nice, but what's it for? Limited portability and battery life. Maybe for semi-portable gaming but do you really need that fast a CPU to keep that GPU fed?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Just grab a 12 volt auto battery, a DC/AC invertor and a 100W incandescent light bulb. Prob get better battery life, and less heat ;)

Seriously tho Greg, the first gen of any Intel mobile line can usually be avoided. Half the speed of your desktop i7?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
That's some serious laptop, a lot more power than I would want to lift and Cary around though. Nice to see stuff like that pop up in costco.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Damn that is large. :eek: I'd want at least two hard drives and a larger battery for 9.3 lbs and a 18" wide desktop replacement.

Where are you hauling it around?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Desktop-replacement portable computers usually don't last long. The heat made by the top-of-the-line processor and powerful graphic card isn't good for the lifespan of a 1.5 inches thick computer. Don't expect it to still work in three years.

ddrueding

Fixture
Desktop-replacement portable computers usually don't last long. The heat made by the top-of-the-line processor and powerful graphic card isn't good for the lifespan of a 1.5 inches thick computer. Don't expect it to still work in three years.

That is an excellent point.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
That is an excellent point.

The Costco warranty and setup on that is about two years. I'm just playing with the idea of a new one at this point.

I'm really waiting for the SSD for my Panasonic to see if that brings it into the 21st century like it did my server. It's taking a LONG time, coming from china...

I'm REALLY impressed with the numbers by the i7 laptop, but, you all have brought up valid points, and I thank you for your excellent opinions.

It's pretty amazing the results that the Asus posts, for the amount of money it costs.

Costco would help, since they deal direct with Asus, and, their Concierge service has pretty much a direct line, and they take care of any warranty or service issues for you, inside the warranty period.

Still, two year life is what they seem to aim at, and that makes me question the amount involved.

Trying to sell a bunch of stuff, and maybe spend some time traveling...