What is up with Windows update ??

SYROB

What is this storage?
Get this message (I am running W2k !!)

"Thank you for your interest in Windows Update

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.

The latest version of Windows Update is only available on computers that are running Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows XP."

Any ideas ??

SYROB

SYROB

What is this storage?
Prof.Wizard

Were you able to run it ?

My other XP machine runs it OK !

Norton reports no virus...

Thanks

SYROB

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Heck..I can use WindowsUpdate with my Win95B machine.

C

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Yuck! Windows update has been XPed.

When I went to the windows update page it asked me to install the Windows update control v4. I saw no probems when updating my machine (W2k Pro 5.00.2195, SP2, IE6.00.2600.0000).

I suggest you try again. If that does not work you might try manually upgrading IE and trying again.

SYROB

What is this storage?
"Windows update control v4."

Any way to get this as a single file to download and install ?

Thanks

SYROB

Barry K. Nathan

What is this storage?
Adcadet said:
is this a sign of things to come?

A sign of things to come? To me it looks like something that just came! :)

BTW, it's working fine for me too. (Win2K, MSIE 5.5 SP2)

Syrob, are you running MSIE 5.0x by any chance? If so, you may want to try upgrading to 5.5SP2 (MS has been listing it as a "Critical Update" for a while). Also, try manually typing in "http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/" or "http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/" into MSIE, and see if that works.

It should be automatically downloading the new Windows Update control and asking for your permission to install it.

JKKJ

Learning Storage Performance
billshit...I like that...

I initially thought to suggest manually deleting the windows update object in IE settings. I do this routinely at home..well...just because, so I can't see if it makes a difference right now. I'm on W2K/5.0SP2. I'll have a look at work tomorrow.

I went to windowsupdate and got to the install "Windows update control V4" message. The link for the information on the program ( http://cdm.microsoft.com/update/certs/cert.htm ) is broken, and the certificate for Microsoft Corporation is valid to 5/29/2002 (that is, it's not valid). Clicking on "More info" gives a window noting that the certificate for this program is valid. Of course, the certificate is issued by Microsoft.
I'm off to re-read the Mozilla/Opera thread.

I agree with Barry K. Nathan that it's a sign of what's here.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
does anybody know the status of the first service pack for WinXP? When is it due? Does anybody have concrete info that it will include some devious anti-piracy tricks?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Apparently SP1 for XP will not install on those pirated copies that all use a very common key.

Barry K. Nathan

What is this storage?
Adcadet said:
does anybody know the status of the first service pack for WinXP? When is it due? Does anybody have concrete info that it will include some devious anti-piracy tricks?

Rumor says September, shortly after Win2K SP3.

WRT piracy:
Another change seeks to curb about 90 percent of Windows XP piracy. Microsoft introduced Product Activation with the operating system, which uses a numeric key to lock the software to the hardware. But code stolen from a large Microsoft customer allowed rampant illegal Windows XP copying. People using Windows XP with the stolen key will not be able to apply the service pack or any future updates available from Microsoft's Web site.

"Basically we're freezing their computer where it is," Cullinan said. "We're not preventing them from using it, but obviously one of the benefits of having a license is keeping your PC updated."
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-922066.html?tag=rn

SYROB

What is this storage?
Still no go on this machine, other computer at home works OK with update.

Using IE 6.0.2600.0000IC

What to do next ?

SYROB

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Starting to look like clean install time, Syrob. If you have a spare drive handy - any old drive will do - then you could test on the spare and not mess up your working drive until you know of it's going to work or not.

Stereodude

Not really a
Pradeep said:
Apparently SP1 for XP will not install on those pirated copies that all use a very common key.
Well if they can actually do it we'll see cracks to fix that problem. I have a legit copy of XP that's still in the box. I chose to install a copy of XP Corporate which does not have the beloved WPA. I legally own XP, but I have chosen to deny M$ and their WPA a foothold on my machine.

The hacker/pirate community is very ingenious. They've cracked far more difficult pieces of software than a Service Pack for XP. Odds are the people who are running a pirated OS will know how and where to get a patch to let XP SP1 install. So, all M$ does is anger some people (most likely legitimate customers) who will somehow trigger the lock that prevents it from installing.

Stereodude

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It's a browser thing, Buck. On many browsers, those long links refuse to word-wrap and this results in the thread becoming very wide. And most people hate having to horizontal-scroll.

Which browsers? I can't remember. It's fine on this here copy of Mozilla/2 1.0, and it was fine on the browser I used to look at this thread with this morning. Unfortunately, I can't remember which personal;ity I was being this morning, and so that could have been any of Moz 1.0 Win, Opera 6.01, or IE 5.0. I think it might be IE that struggles, but I can't exactly remember.

Would anyone like me to edit the post to unscramble the thread?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Looks fine on IE6. But you might as well do it if you have the time Tony, to stop the whiners :wink:

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Woops! I get scrolls with Mozilla/2 1.0. (i.e., it screws up my page width.) Must have been dreaming when I posted earlier.

I'll edit that post in a second. I copied the original long URL over here: http://www.storageforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9530#9530

Flip over there and post to say what it does on the various browsers, those of you who are interested.