What software do you use

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Simple question, vaguely related to the programming languages thread:

What non-OS software do you find most useful? What software do you actually use?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I don't use all that much software here is a list:

Forte Agent (News Reader)
mIRC (IRC client
Bullet Proof FTP
WS_FTP LE
ServU (FTP Server)
Morpheus (Used to pirate movies)
AOLIM (instant messenging)
TMPGenc (used to convert to VCD format MPG)
Photoshop
Word
Excel
Access
Acrobat Reader
CDRWIN
NERO
WinRAR
WinImage
SupaFilVerify (for checking file integrity
Netstat Live (gives me stats about network usage)

Those are the apps that I use often, at least once a week.

-Tim

Handruin

Administrator
I use:

editpad
irfanview
photoshop
illustrator
macromedia director
adobe premiere

winzip

LAME
soundforge

Word
Excel
acrobat
quark express

WS_FTP
IE 6.0

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Trillian
Office
Outlook
Photoshop
Painter
PageMaker
Dreamweaver
VNC
Nero
WinDVD
WebPosition
NAV 2002

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
-PowerDVD XP 4
-ACDSee 4
-PowerVCR 3
-Photoshop 6
-CorelDRAW 10
-RealOne Player
-Quicktime
-Office XP (all of them)
-WinTV 2000
-WinTV FM

...these proggies mainly...

and of course, everything on Windows XP (IE 6, Messenger, etc.)

Mercutio

Well, here's my list:

Windows -

vim
WordPerfect
PowerDVD4
VirtualDub
Winamp
DiskKeeper
ACDSee
Mozilla
Excel (the only part of Office I use, although I install everything but outlook)
Perl
Nero
CloneCD
Backup Exec
PQDI Pro
VNC

*nix
vim
Mozilla
xmms
pavuk
wget
ncftp
Perl
GNUCash
WordPerfect
A calendar/schedule/journal program of my own devising
+ a fairly large number of tools that I only have irregular need of (lots of development tools, xcdroast etc).

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Work:
gVim
Outlook

Home:
Quicken
Outlook
IE

Anyway lately I've been getting really sick of having all these freakin' usernames and passwords. Web sites are the major use but also other stuff. Anybody know of any software to make my life easier... or do I have to actually start writing the program I started designing.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Home:

Opera 6.0/IE5.5SP2
Eudora 5
WordPro v 9, 1-2-3 v 9
Nero 5.5
Irfanview
FrontPage 2000
Word 2000

Work:
Delphi 5.0/6.0
VisualAge COBOL
WordPro v 9, 1-2-3 v 9
Terminal emulator
Notes v 5.0
IE 5.0

Mercutio

Will Rickards said:
Anyway lately I've been getting really sick of having all these freakin' usernames and passwords. Web sites are the major use but also other stuff. Anybody know of any software to make my life easier... or do I have to actually start writing the program I started designing.

There are a number of password managers out in the world. Even some web sites that offer to remember passwords (yeah, like I'd trust THAT). I don't trust anything, actually, but I've also never heard of a way to totally circumvent Netscape/Mozilla's encrypted password store - you type a single password to access ALL your prompted access elements. Single point of failure, I know, but any "password keeper" would have that problem, unless you wanted to blow $200 on a cheapo biometric system.

bahngeist

What is this storage?
I'm in the process of transitioning from an old system to a new; and these are the principle applications that will be used (under W2K SP2):

Word 2000 (and use Excel on occasion)
Paperport
LView Pro
Opera 6.0/IE 6.0
ZoneAlarm
O&O 4.0
WinZip 8.0
Systemworks 2001 (but only for NAV, Ghost, Cleansweep, Fax)
Printshop (wife like's making cards)

Generally load a game, play it, and then remove it (explains why I use Cleansweep). But do keep Mechcommander Gold installed permanently since new user-created missions surface regularly -- it's my all time favorite game.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Word 2000
Drive Image 4.0
Partition Magic 5
Premier 6.0
Numerous Video & Audio Progs
Photoshop 5.0 LE
WS_FT Pro
Power DVD 4.0
Adobe Acrobat (duh)
Nero

And a bunch of other stuff sitting on my desk uninstalled untill I need it.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
WinXP Pro
Office XP
FTP Voyager 9
Trillian
Outlook Express
GameSpy 3D
Half-Life Counter-Strike
Photoshop Elements
Norton SystemWorks 2002
NAV 2002
Nero 5.5
United Devices
MotherBoard Monitor 5
Power Archiver 2001
VirtualDub

HellDiver

Learning Storage Performance
"The list is long but distinguished", but amongs little-known tools that others might find useful are :

* Metapad. "The little program that could"... At only 37-89kb (depending on the version) puts M$ Notepad to shame and makes M$ programmers want to cry. Negligible load time, laughable size (1/10 - 1/20 of comparable solutions), truckload of easily accessible options and functions. Does not claim to do everything and I don't use it for code writing, but hey - neither did I use Notepad for that! The only program known to me that truely deserves the title "True Notepad replacement". Oh, BTW, it's also free! Do give it a try!

* UltraEdit. A much heftier package here, but the functionality is well worth it. I can't really say that it's absolutely top 1 of its class (because unlike in Metapad's case there are a lot of proggies of this size), but it's certainly among the best. Very rich functionality, very customizeable, syntax highlighting and all, can be used (and was successfully used by me on many occasions) for code writing, especially for languages that have scarce development tools (read : IDE) support otherwise. Very powerful. Shareware at $35.

* EAC (Exact Audio Copy). If you respect your ears yet want to have your CDs contents in MP3 format - this is the ripping tool (and probably the only one in its class - quality-wise) to use. Not for the absolute beginners, but comprehensive (and very up-to-date!) FAQs exist on the net. Last version successfully used by me is V0.9 prebeta 11, haven't tried any newer ones because that one works. Naturally requires LAME. Both are freeware.

bahngeist said:
But do keep Mechcommander Gold installed permanently since new user-created missions surface regularly -- it's my all time favorite game.
Any idea if there are any user-made SP missions or scenarios (as opposed to just multiplayer maps) for MechCom 2 out there?

Barry K. Nathan

What is this storage?
Will Rickards said:

FWIW, Counterpane Labs has a password manager program called Password Safe:
http://www.counterpane.com/passsafe.html

That's version 1.7.x; the 2.0 development page is:
http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

I've never used Password Safe, but it's an example of a program to deal with this type of stuff.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Among other things, I find these useful:

Audiograbber
CloneCD
CloseIEx 2.6
DXP Deluxe 2.05
FileMon
IE Clean 6.00
Irfanview
Nero
Norton Anti-Virus
Norton CleanSweep Uninstaller
Norton Speed Disk
NVMax
Opera
Pop-Up Stopper
Process Explorer
RegClean
Registry Crawler
RegMon
Thomas Guide Digital Edition -Metropolitan Puget Sound
WCPUID
WinAce
Winamp
ZoneAlarm Pro 2.6.362

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
At the Office:
  • Quattro Pro 6.0 for Win 3.1 Still my favourite spreadsheet by a mile. 123 ain't bad, Excel wastes horrendous amounts of screen space, I bought a copy of the very latest Quattro Pro the other day, and then threw it away. 6.0, the last of the "real" (i.e., Borland) Quattros, still beats the others hollow.
  • Quicken 7.0 for DOS. Far faster to use than any GUI-based accounting package. For this sort of stuff, keyboards rule. And it ain't broke, so why fix it? (PS: Can you imagine how fast DOS apps run on an X15 equipped Athlon XP? I never, ever wait for anything. I don't even blink, it's there.)
  • Describe 5.0 for OS/2 The original version of this odd-ball but very competent WP package, which then came out in Win3.1, Win32 and 'nix versions too. I have them all. Describe Corp closed up some years ago, but I've yet to find a package I like better. Word Perfect is nice, Word ain't bad, but once I get used to software it's hard to switch.
  • PMMail for OS/2 2.2.23. I used to use the Post Road Mailer under OS/2, then I bought PMMail for one of my Windows boxes and liked it enough to switch this one over to the OS/2 version. Practical, simple, plenty of features when I need them, and no Outlook security nightmares. Nice to be able to use the same app on my different platforms.
  • Navigator/2 2.02 Small, fast, clunky, reliable, ugly. (i.e., typical Tannin software!) Still my favourite browser excepting only Opera. I can't wait for them to get the OS/2 version of Opera right. At present it's all but unusable. The Windows version is superb.
  • Communicator/2 4.61 Just for those pages that break my old Navigator/2. (OS/2 Netscape version numbers are weird: 2.02 is roughly equivalent to Windows version 3.5 or so. 4.61 is ~4.76. Something to do with IBM's bizarre devotion to excessive paperwork, I think. Mozilla for OS/2 used to be dreadful (as bad as Opera is right now) but I'm downloading a 0.9.8 as I write, and I'll see if it has got better yet.
  • PM Fax 3.2h Not as good as Winfax, but perfectly workable
  • Microsoft Word for DOS 5.5 My one and only MS app, and one we still use every single day for invoices, quotes and purchase orders. Who needs WYSIWYG? After more than ten years in this job, I know what an invoice will look like when I print it.
  • Z Tree Bold 1.92b The best file manager on the planet. Period.
  • X Tree Gold 3.0 Eclipsed by Z Tree these days, but perfect for database work. You see, I don't have a database. I create invoices in Word for DOS which, dating as it does from the days before Microsoft started trying to make all their file formats unreadable so as to break their competition, saves in a plain vanilla format, readable from within X Tree. I don't need a database package, because we can find any invoice, quote or purchase order in seconds using the sorting, filtering and searching facilities built into X Tree. The data is the database.
  • Desktop Wizzard 1.41 (on the fly zip, lots of other stuff, beats Winzip hollow).
  • Taskbar 2.62 (What the Windows Start Bar was copied from and always should have been but still isn't).
  • Emtec FTP 5.0.7 Clunky-looking, perfectly practical, and like all my shareware, paid for. Why change?
  • PMView 2000 2.31. Yet another of my favourite OS/2 native applications that, like PM Mail and Drive Copy, has now become available for Windows too. At home I use the Windows version under NT or W2K, and I love the way that I can use either one without having to make mental adjustments. Interesting to see which things each version does faster - it varies quite a lot.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Wow! Just trying out Mozilla/2 for the first time in quite a while, and it has really, really improved. Still got some font weirdness, but maybe I can figure a fix for that. (Right now the text I see here is tiny.)

CougTek

Serial computer killer
About Mozilla,

I had a lot less trouble with the Feb. 9th build (0.9.8+) than with the Feb. 4th build (0.9.8). Unfortunately, only the original 0.9.8 is available front their front page link. To obtain the Feb 9th build, you must go to this page and download the file named mozilla-win32-installer.exe, or the one above (mozilla-win32-installer-sea.exe - I think this is the talkback enabled version). Both files are near the bottom of the page.

The Feb. 9th build is a nightly build so it hasn't been tested extensively, but it works a lot better on my Win2K system.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
WinRAR
Nero
WinAmp (w/ fraunhofer plugin for supposedly better quality :p )
RazorLame
OE5
IE5
ICQ 2001b
Seti@Home
SetiDriver
SetiQueue
Painshop Pro 7
Kais Power tools 5&6
Bryce 5
Hmonitor Pro
Morpheus
WinISO
WS_Ping Pro pack
CuteFTP
Getright
Dreamweaver 4
Acrobat 5
Equation Grapher (dont ask why...)
Cooledit Pro

those are the main ones 8)

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
WinRAR
Nero
WinAmp (w/ fraunhofer plugin for supposedly better quality :p )
RazorLame
OE5
IE5
ICQ 2001b
Seti@Home
SetiDriver
SetiQueue
Painshop Pro 7
Kais Power tools 5&6
Bryce 5
Hmonitor Pro
Morpheus
WinISO
WS_Ping Pro pack
CuteFTP
Getright
Dreamweaver 4
Acrobat 5
Equation Grapher (dont ask why...)
Cooledit Pro

those are the main ones 8)

GMac

Learning Storage Performance
What software do you use?

Hi there - nice to see some familiar faces :D

I use quite a lot of progs, but some more frequently than others. Anyway here's a list of the ones that are installed and used at least on occasions:

Office 2000 Pro (used at work also)
IE 5.5
Acrobat Reader 5
PageMaker 6.5
Photoshop 5.0LE (came with my scanner)
Omnipage Pro 9.0 (from a magazine cover disc)
Paintshop Pro 7
CorelDraw 9
Innoculate IT Home Edition
Winamp 2.77
ZoneAlarm 2.6.362
Audiograbber
WinonCD 3.7
CloneCD
Power Archiver 2001

plus some of the bundled stuff that came with my video & sound cards (ATi DVD player etc)
As well as that lot, I've also got quite a few games installed: Civ 2 & 3, UT, Alpha Centauri, Red Alert II and Diablo II LOD being the most prominent. There's no mail software as OE has too many security flaws for my liking - all my mail is handled via the 'web.

GM

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The Burner Box. (Another one of my various office machines.)

Windows NT 4.0
Winzip (because I can't be bothered looking for something better)
Easy CD Cremator 4.somethingorother
Nero (some fairly recent version)

That's it. Nothing else at all that I can think of. Not unless you count the mouse driver and the LAN connection to the machine that archives my collection of disc images, drivers, patches, and so on.