Where are the 2TB SDXC cards? :p

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Had to beat LM to it :p....

No, but seriously; these sound great--- sometime, somewhere in the future.

Considering I've read on blogs that Toshiba's new 512GB SSD is expected to be priced around $1500...I won't hold my breath for a low priced SDXC 2TB card anytime in the next 5yrs :(

http://www.ces-show.com/0288/sdcardassociation/memorycards/sdxc/

Turning mobile phones into media centers
SDXC memory allows users to enjoy more from their mobile phones. Larger capacity and faster transfer speeds allow for expanded entertainment and data storage. A 2TB SDXC memory card can store 100 HD movies, 60 hours of HD recording or 17,000 fine-grade photos. "With SDXC memory cards, consumers can quickly download higher quality content to their phones, including games, video and music - giving consumers a richer media and content experience,"....specification provides up to 2 terabytes storage capacity and accelerates SD interface read/write speeds to 104 megabytes per second this year, with a road map to 300 megabytes per second. The new SDXC memory cards will enable camcorders to provide longer, professional level HD video recording with a small form factor.
Tis about average for SSD's this year, how long for the roadmap to make it up to 300MB/s?

The SDXC specification uses Microsoft's exFAT file system to support its large capacity and interoperability in a broad range of PCs, consumer electronics and mobile phones. The exFAT system was designed for increased compatibility with flash media, from portability of data to interoperability with multiple platforms and devices on removable media."
Boo, M$ formats always blow.

Specifications for the open standard will be released in the first quarter of 2009. SDHC, Embedded SD and SDIO specifications will also benefit from the new Secure Digital interface speeds. SDXC is also the first memory card specification to provide 2TB storage without hindering the high-speed performance necessary for high-end photography. It will provide maximum speeds even when the SDXC specification achieves its maximum 2TB storage capacity.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
It's just a spec for now. I think 5 years is actually optimistic for a 2TB SD card but they'll be cool whenever they come out. Heck, if you can get 2TB in an SD card, then that means you'll probably get 50TB in a 2.5" drive. Can't wait, but I'm sure I'll be well into my 50s when it happens.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
SD cards are too damn small and flimsy. In any event, there could be a 4TB CF card by then, and it would be faster too.

ddrueding

Fixture
I actually broke my first SD card the other day. Haven't broken any CF cards yet.

For the record, my 30MB/s 8GB Extreme III SD card allows the XSi to shoot RAW continuously. Very cool.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It will be a cold day in hell that I use an SD card in a Leaf.