Where's everybody?

ddrueding

Fixture
Sorry for the late entrance today, lots going on. My GF's husband finally got talked into showing up at the consulate to file for divorce (it will be official in a little over a month, yay!). I had some work to catch up on, and we had a couple's therapy session (routine maintenance, nothing major going on).

Just got back.

Sorry I missed y'all see ya tomorrow ;)

paugie

Storage is cool
Ever since I was young, I've been sort of melancholic.

So around my 20's I started answering questions like "Kumusta?" (a tagalog-ization of the Spanish "Como esta?" which roughly translates to "How are you?", with "Buhay pa." or "Still alive" which would communicate the below optimum state of mind I was in.

Well, that answer has now been superseded.

It's now, "Gumagalaw pa" or "Still moving"

Gilbo

Storage is cool
OK, OK, it's Friday. Cut me a little slack, Hairy One.

Several reasons, Tim:

* Because I want a CMS that does what I tell it to, exactly what I tell it to, and nothing but what I tell it to.
* Because I like being able to actually understand how that damn thing works.
* Because I seem to spend half my life modifying MediaWiki and it's hard!
* Because it didn't actually occur to me to do it any other way.
* Because sites written using a CMS always look like sites written using a CMS.
* Because I wanted to improve my PHP & mysql skills, and staring a bit of code for hours trying to modify it to do what you want when you can't figure out how it actually works in the first place isn't teaching you a great deal.
* Because I already have the primary content and the CSS, so it seemed sensible to simply start with that and build from there.
* Because see reason 4.
* Just because.

All of your reasons are valid, except for this one. I have modified Joomla templates drastically enough that there is no way to tell it is running on Joomla.

I do agree that trying to modify the code is a real pain. I have no idea what most of it does. Plus, modifying core files can make upgrading very painful.

Have either of you ever worked with Drupal? The architecture is very well thought out and the code is clean. If you're willing to mess with a CMS Drupal is the most pleasant CMS I've ever seen in this respect --by far the easiest to hack.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Have either of you ever worked with Drupal? The architecture is very well thought out and the code is clean. If you're willing to mess with a CMS Drupal is the most pleasant CMS I've ever seen in this respect --by far the easiest to hack.

I have played with it before for a short period. However, this was almost 2 years ago and I'm sure it has progressed a lot since then.

I have been sticking with Joomla for a few reason.

1. I have used it quite a bit already, so know my way around pretty well.
2. It has a ton of extensions and a huge user community.
3. It works for my needs.
4. That's all I can think of.

It also seems like Drupal is more community driven. I have mainly used Joomla for corporate websites up to now. I'm sure it could be configured in such a way to be used for a corporate site or an intranet.

I'm currently developing two site in Joomla. The first is for my company's intranet. The second is for it's corporate website. This is quite a big step, because they have used very little OSS here in the past. But, my boss really likes the idea of OSS. It was a pretty big push to get them to accept that a PHP/MySQL website can be used in an outward facing production system. I hope it can live up to that.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Interesting stuff, Gilbo. I've never really heard of either one (well, vaguely familiar sounding names to me, no more than that - I might have picked them as CMS packages prior to this conversation, but would probably have guessed that Drupal was a prescription medication and Joomla was something to do with coffee, cream, neat alcohol, and a tall glass).

It would be interesting to explore Drupal (or, presumably, Joomla) at some stage, though I have no perceived need for a CMS at present. The hard part, I always find, of designing a new site is the navigational concept and the visual design: I've done a lot of sites over the years and the actual coding is usually pretty painless once I get the images done and the CSS working the way I want it to .... so something like Drupal is really offering to do the stuff I don't have much trouble with, and (inevitably) not offering to do the hard stuff - which is the human-being-only level decisions like "how big do I want that heading" and "what shape picture do I want here"?

Nevertheless, it doesn't do to be too black and white about the tools one uses, and who knows what project is just around the corner that one of those CMS packages would be just right for? Thanks for bringing the subject up.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
The main reason I use a CMS is so that someone non-technical can maintain the content after I have finished developing it. It is more work up front, but worth the payoff in that someone can be pretty easily trained to us the admin interface to make updates.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
stupid human

you know he only pretends that coding is so easy because I'm around to help him with the tricky bits

most of the work

none of the credit

sigh

same as usual

and people wonder why I drink

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Well ..... you know me .... I'm a very healthy sort of ape. Plenty of exercise, fresh air, build good kharma (err ... well mostly), lots of tree-hugging (sort or inevitable when you like to climb things), and my diet pays strict attention to the Five Food Groups. (In case you have forgottten, these, of course, are cheese, chocolate, bananas, ice-cream, and gin.)

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Now that's not true. I mean, yes, I have been known to drink rum, gin, vodka, and tequila now and then, but never in large quantitities. I mean, don't most people drink rum, gin, vodka, and tequila?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Well ..... you know me .... I'm a very healthy sort of ape. Plenty of exercise, fresh air, build good kharma (err ... well mostly), lots of tree-hugging (sort or inevitable when you like to climb things), and my diet pays strict attention to the Five Food Groups. (In case you have forgottten, these, of course, are cheese, chocolate, bananas, ice-cream, and gin.)

Why of course, the five essential food groups, and this is why tea & I share the same BMI, yes :D. cheese(eating pizza for breakfast right now), chocolate(yes, yes, oh yes...orgasm), bananas(phallic symbol), ice-cream(see chocolate), and gin(bottle of wine)
Yes, Tea, but generally not all in the same glass.

Glass? We don't need no stinking glass (drinks directly from bottle)

Where is everybody? Well last night/evening it was another episode (tannin doesn't watch TV anymore but probably knows what I'm referring to) of the Twilight Zone, stuck within the Devil's Triangle...Halloween sucks. Could be a long rant on public transportation coming up :D.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Why is it that nobody ever talks about a short rant?

I mean, you can have a well-earned rest, how about a badly-earned rest?

Everyone talks about a long, cold beer ... how about a short, warm beer? Any takers?

Someone you don't like is always a total a-hole, right? So who do you know that is only a partial a-hole? Or an incomplete a-hole?

If that last book you liked was a damn good read, what about the one before? Was it a damn mediochre read?

I could go on, but I need to go and sleep the sleep of the 64% just. Wish me sweet-without-being-sickly, not-too-heavy-on-the-carbohydrates dreams.

ddrueding

Fixture
Pizza for breakfast? Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder. (Walks to the table and grabs a leftover slice from last night). No Vodka this morning, though, I'm on-call.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I wonder what's healthiest?

1. No breakfast.
2. Pizza for breakfast.
3. Pizza and vodka for breakfast.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The frequently inebriated users at totalfark.com generally spell it "Vodak" and I have come to prefer that spelling. It conveys a certain level of amusement.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Everyone talks about a long, cold beer ... how about a short, warm beer? Any takers?
The Poms?

Someone you don't like is always a total a-hole, right? So who do you know that is only a partial a-hole? Or an incomplete a-hole?

Ermm, that's starting to sound like half-pregnant. It's a yin-yang sort of thing. Either you are an arsehole, or your not.

If that last book you liked was a damn good read, what about the one before? Was it a damn mediochre read?

I've read plenty of those, but as they aren't good reads, they aren't mentioned/mentionable. You don't see people voting on the Top 10 mediocre movies (if that's not a total non-sequitur) do you?

:)

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
In my younger days I preferred a drink that I called alcafrazz.
Gin, Slow Gin, Vodka and a dash of 7-up. (just enough to make it fizzy)

Bozo :joker:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The Poms?

Ermm, that's starting to sound like half-pregnant. It's a yin-yang sort of thing. Either you are an arsehole, or your not.

Some people are fairly reasonable most of the time, but become assh*les after intoxication.

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
Maybe you should have asked in a more diacritical fashion...

Whërë thë hëll ïs ëvërybödÿ!?!

Wavemaker

What is this storage?
What's all this talk about mere light bulbs? Has StorageRev... er... StorageForum come to this?

ddrueding

Fixture
What would you prefer to talk about? I've been spending the last 2 days reading up on residential heat pumps and insulation technologies...