Which is the best Buy: Shielded and Unshielded Ethernet Cables?

AntonioCrocombe

What is this storage?
We are planning to wire for home or office with ethernet networking cables to set up internet network, Which is the suggestions and guidelines keep in mind for Ethernet networking cable.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
For home and most offices, unshielded networking cables are fine, since there isn't that much electrical interference in those environments.

Shielded cables are more often used in industrial environment where cables pass thru zones with strong electrical fileds (motors, high-voltage cables and lighting, etc.). Shielded cables are much more expensive and the plugs takes much more time to do properly, leading to higher workers fees. Unless you do the plugs yourself, but you can't do that since you have no hands.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
That was my thought...

Anyway, depending on his/her location, they may require a licensed trades person to do the work anyway*. (and they should be able to advise on what is best for them).

* Here is Oz, you actually require a licensed trades ticket to do any form of data/phone cabling. (as per electricity, plumbing, etc).

ddrueding

Fixture
In the US, anything "low voltage" (<24v? 48?) doesn't have that kind of issue. I used shielded, because going in after would be a PITA. Certainly paranoia, but I'd do it the same way again.

Lena

What is this storage?
I think a better question would have been to specify what type of ethernet cable? i.e cat 3-cat 9, fiber or copper, etc..

Handruin

Administrator
I think a better question would have been to specify what type of ethernet cable? i.e cat 3-cat 9, fiber or copper, etc..

There is no CAT 9 that I'm aware of. I thought CAT6a would be the highest official cable type standard one might aim for. I would target CAT6a for now in unshielded twister pair for all common RJ45 type connections giving you the possibility for up to a decent 10Gb connection. For devices that may require a consistent higher throughput to run a fiber optic OM4 cable to give you some future reserve since it's rated up to 100Gb and supports 10Gb and 40Gb as well.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
There is no CAT 9 that I'm aware of. I thought CAT6a would be the highest official cable type standard one might aim for. I would target CAT6a for now in unshielded twister pair for all common RJ45 type connections giving you the possibility for up to a decent 10Gb connection. For devices that may require a consistent higher throughput to run a fiber optic OM4 cable to give you some future reserve since it's rated up to 100Gb and supports 10Gb and 40Gb as well.
Cat6 is only good for 10Gb at relatively short distances. Otherwise, one would need to go with Cat7

In a single story house, even wiring up from the basement, Cat6 is "good enough."

Handruin

Administrator
Cat6 is only good for 10Gb at relatively short distances. Otherwise, one would need to go with Cat7

In a single story house, even wiring up from the basement, Cat6 is "good enough."

That's why I said CAT6a not CAT6. CAT6a allows 10Gb up to 100 meters.

Also:

"As of 2017 there is no equipment that has connectors supporting the Class F (Category 7) channel.

Category 7 is not recognized by the TIA/EIA"