Winamp 5 released.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Although that now I prefer the foobar2000 player that Doug linked a few weeks ago (much lower resources need), Winamp 5 offers a much nicer interface and should be a better choice for people looking for applications with a nicer look and feel.

The memory eating habits have been lessen compared to Winamp 3.x, but I fell much is still wasted somewhere for an application that's simply supposed to play audio (and video clips too occasionally). You can try it and make a jugement for yourself by downloading it from Winamp's web site. Their web site was busy when I tried to visit it a few minutes ago, but the situation should get better as the traffic boom will lessen later today.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I've been meaning to update that thread. As the story goes, I have eradicated Winamp from my life. Foobar2000 has completely taken over all my Windows based audio needs. I'm currently using the "special" edition of v0.7.5.

Hmm, might as well go update the Toolbox section with it too.

CK

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
blakerwry said:
i dont like foorbar2000.... i do like that it uses <1% CPU usage while playing...
What else do you want from an audio player? It does what it has to do without taking ressources and leave them for other things you can do while listening to music (or noise if hip hop and country are your genre).

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
im not happy with any audio player.... I searched the whole of sourceforge and found nothing but a few linux apps that looked like they may or may not be worth the time to isntall...

I searched shareware galleries abound.. even fruitless googlesearches... most players are just winamp clones...

The one thing I found that was worth the time to isntall was a program called trayplayer... but that's it... I'm just going back to winamp 2.x

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I wish Nullsoft would just get a single post-2.x release fully stable and optimized and have a good selection of kick-ass plug-ins instead of cranking up the version numbers and hoping we'll forget about 2.x... not going to happen here. 2.x forever!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The media library is really the only part of v5 I found that interesting. Video playback is not good enough, in particular.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The media library isn't very powerful. I've a lot of MP3s on my computer, and it just doesn't do much to help me use them. I'll be going back to WinAMP 2.95 for my light needs and MusicMatch Jukebox for my regular playing.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, I for one am pretty stoked about 5. The "most played" and "recently played" will help my usage a lot. Quite often I just want to hear what I normally like, though I occasionally enjoy picking through the more obscure stuff.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I just checked and I'm still using Winamp v 2.62 from March of 2000. Seems to work just fine so I see no need to upgrade to some new fancy pants version.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Just installed Winamp 5.01 to try it out. It's a little unstable, but otherwise, it's not too bad... especially since it supports 2.x and not 3.x plug-ins! HA! I guess they realized nobody used Winamp 3 or developed for it either.

Has anybody used the Advanced Visualization Studio (AVS)? And if so, has anyone else noticed that it is ridiculously slow using anything but 320x240 resolution in full-screen mode? I have an Athlon ~2500+, and it struggles to hit 15 fps at 640x480 in some of the themes.

GMac

Learning Storage Performance
I tried it out of curiosity, and yes it does crawl :( Other than that though, I've been more than happy with it. The modern skin's a touch resource heavy, but I've always preferred classic mode anyway and it runs very nicely in that :)

GM