Windows 2000 SP4

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Tea, one of these days I'm going to show you how to properly use all the tools you already have. Sigh.

Maybe I'll write up an article today...

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tea's problem is that she always wants to solve a particular problem right now and is never prepared to put enough time into working out a better way to solve things in the longer-term.

Short attention span. What can you do?

Back when I was on my own here, before Tea arrived and brought her own unique perspective to the Protestant Work Ethic, I used to spend any amount of time figuring out ways to streamline things. My batch files from DOS days were really spiffy. These days, alas, the moment the immediate task is dealt with, I'm off doing something else entirely, usually completely unrelated to work. I think she is a bad influence.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The article in question has been written. Once you read it, you can't un-read it. $50 for a real copy of ghost, plus sysprep, which you already have, and you'll have techies weeping for gratitude.

Platform

Learning Storage Performance
I seem to have run into one problem with SP-4, in that it seems to wipe out drive mapping settings set by SMS (Systems Management Server). This could actually be a problem with SMS, where SMS itself needs an update to play nicely with Win2K SP-4 clients.

I've already heard about various subsets of network users who've had roaming profile problems on the client side after installing SP-4.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Service Packs should never reset services to default settings, but alas every SP from MS I've installed does it at least for a few ones. It is a pain.

JSF

What is this storage?
My WINNT folder (W2k Pro) contains 109 MB of uninstall sub-folders for accumulated updates and Service Packs. Since SP4 contains all prior updates what must I do to install SP4, retaining only it’s uninstall folder and deleting all others?

Joe.

honold

Storage is cool
JSF said:
My WINNT folder (W2k Pro) contains 109 MB of uninstall sub-folders for accumulated updates and Service Packs. Since SP4 contains all prior updates what must I do to install SP4, retaining only it’s uninstall folder and deleting all others?
when you install a service pack it's not absolutely necessary to have it be uninstallable (it's a tickbox). however, it's imperative that you don't delete the folder it leaves in your windows folder as it uses that for stuff that would be fetched off the cd. for example, if you installed iis and it asked for the cd, it grabs what it needs from the cd and what it needs from the service pack.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Seems to be my week for getting nice things from Groltz. First there is my spiffy new avatar, and then I followed his link (above) for making a Windows 2000 install disc with SP 4 already included, turned my brain inside trying to follow the instructions while answering the phone and building three computers at the same time, including figuring out a couple of mistakes in that page, and it workz just fine.

Thanks Steve!

Next week, I must turn my attention to Mercutio's excellent article and figure out if it will work for us. Unless I see something shiny first, of course.

JSF

What is this storage?
Thanks honold for your advice. I will avoid deleting any "uninstall" folder in WINNT. But, before proceeding to install SP4 there is one other possibility I would like to explore.

If I were to uninstall, in reverse order, all updates to return to my base Window 2000 program, would installation of SP4 at that point yield an equivalent operating system with one "uninstall" folder? Would this process destroy linkage to Applications installed after pre-SP4 updates?

Thanks, Joe.

honold

Storage is cool
assuming you were able to back out and function correctly enough to re-apply the service packs, yes i think you should have only one folder. i don't understand the second question.