Windows 7 is available

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't run chkdsk /r on a secondary disk (or thru the GUI) until a patch is out. Otherwise massive memory leak and the system slows to a crawl.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
Don't run chkdsk /r on a secondary disk (or thru the GUI) until a patch is out. Otherwise massive memory leak and the system slows to a crawl.
Not really a bug, nor a memory leak; designed that way and memory is released when task completed.
It might be a questionable design decision, but I wouldn't stress about it or hold my breath for a fix.

Some have reported BSOD errors, but the lack of consistent reproduction of the error aside from specific systems points more towards (IMO) driver problems or bad RAM than an intrinsic flaw.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
When will it be

safe enough for a normal user to implement? I'm hoping to avoid Windows 7 for about 13-15 months if my computer can hold out.

Meanwhile we are getting new computers at work in the next two weeks. It will be Vista for 3-4 years; such bad timing. :(

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
safe enough for a normal user to implement?

It's fine as is, a modest step up from Vista. I've got it running on a Thinkpad T61. I did a clean install onto a 7200.4. I have the same issue as in the release candidate, with it preferring to associate with a 2.4GHz WLAN despite a stronger 5.8GHZ signal being present, and it's already crashed out of hibernate once, but apparently hibernate on Windows is just some kind of special retarded thing that's never going to work right.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Meanwhile we are getting new computers at work in the next two weeks. It will be Vista for 3-4 years; such bad timing. :(
Are the people at your work know that all computers purchased from OEM these days are entitled to a free Windows 7 upgrade when it's officially released?

LunarMist

Are the people at your work know that all computers purchased from OEM these days are entitled to a free Windows 7 upgrade when it's officially released?

It's too late for that. I think the images for all the workstations/laptops models have already gone gold and been sent to the manufacturer. It took several months to get everything qualified and I heard there were some driver vendor issues.

I was being a little sarcastic about the 3-4 years, but it is unlikely that it will be less than 18 months.

LunarMist

That is what I would like to know - hoping to hold out until then.

Mercutio

Why is it so fucking hard for Microsoft to write an operating system that is capable of copying files in an expedient fashion?

6.36GB from an internal SATA drive to an internal X25-M on my Thinkpad.

Total time remaining (after 10 minutes): "About 40 minutes"

WHY?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Has anyone seen a down loadable document for Windows 7 deployment options and installation procedures?

I've found the technet articles on Win7 deployment, but want something that I can download, read offline and print off to hand out and discuss with the other technicians I work with.

The method I'm looking at is creating a bootable DVD, that can be used to install a company SOE image, that includes all base drivers and applications. (Which we currently do, via a bootable Ghost DVD, which has a ghost image file of a syspreped WinXP installation on the DVD, that we restore to the target system).

Quickly reading through the MS documents online, this seems possible using the MS tools... (which will save us from using Ghost). But the online document seems to be vague in some areas.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Free copy of Windows 7 pro: Windows 7 launch event

All you have to do is suffer through one of M$ launch parties. Just note sign up soon, in that they tend to fill up very quickly.

Microsoft in Australia are giving away a HP netbook preloaded with Win7 for all paying attendees the '09 TechEd on the Gold Coast... (but the only issue I have is, is the company is paying for my TechEd ticket this year, so technically, it'll be their netbook).

Mercutio

Has anyone seen a down loadable document for Windows 7 deployment options and installation procedures?

I loaded the .wim files off the DVD onto a Windows Deployment Server earlier in the week. ImageX for custom .wim files probably works fine, too.

Otherwise there's always sysprep.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Even if it is their netbook, I would guess that if you are going, they would want you to use/test/have the netbook.

use and test, yes. But not have. We've already been told the individual attendees won't get to keep them after the event, and that they will go into the company laptop pool once TechEd has finished.

ddrueding

Fixture
The instant I associated my google account with youtube, my system BSOD'd and startup repair is unable to fix it. This ends my farking about with 7, as the machine will get an image copy from the near-identical machine at home that is running XP x64.

The only thing I will miss is the win+left, win+right, and win+up keyboard shortcuts.

Stereodude

Not really a
The one you just recently purchased? :blue:
No, I hate my Samsung N120 from many months ago. The one with the 10" 1024x600 screen and the crawling Atom processor. I canceled the pre-order for the faster Acer one with the larger higher res screen. I'm waiting for the dual core model.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I feel sorry for the suckers who get stuck with 'em as their "laptop".

I know. My understanding is, that they are to be used by staff, when they are away on inter-state trips, as replacements for their existing laptops, if they don't want to take their existing laptops, or if they have a normal desktop in office.

Small comparison, as I have one of the oldest laptops in the company -
HP 6710b - Intel Core 2 Duo T7500, 4GB RAM, 7200rpm 160GB HDD, 15" TFT, DVD-RW, etc with WinXP SP3 (or WinXP x64 SP2 if needed)

vs

HP 2140 netbook, Atom 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD (unknown speed), 10" TFT, Win7 (which may be replaced with WinXP).

Despite the extra weight, and possible battery time, I'll be taking my current laptop away with me every time. (I also tend to get 4-5hrs on battery, due to the 2nd battery being installed).

Although I see nothing inherently wrong with the Intel Atom, nor netbooks in general, they certainly don't fit in with the work I tend to do whilst away. (There is no way I would attempt data recovery on a 6GB+ SQL DB on a netbook).

Mercutio

Why wouldn't you be running data recovery on a server that in all probability has more CPUs, RAM and a better disk subsystem than your laptop in the first place?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Why wouldn't you be running data recovery on a server that in all probability has more CPUs, RAM and a better disk subsystem than your laptop in the first place?

When you don't have a server (since it just crashed), and the nearest replacement is 3-4 days away due to remote location, and the customer is screaming at you because they can't trade, and hence losing money.

ddrueding

Fixture
When you don't have a server (since it just crashed), and the nearest replacement is 3-4 days away due to remote location, and the customer is screaming at you because they can't trade, and hence losing money.

We have now found an actual use for those crazy "laptops" made by Alienware and the like. Though I would probably use a decked-out shuttle box for the task instead. Certainly not a task for a netbook, though.

Mercutio

I've now spent about a week with Windows Server 2008 R2, which is technically even newer than Windows 7 is.

Server 2008 R2 includes a newer version of IIS and some updated management consoles, but also includes the Windows 7 UI, including support for the double-height taskbar with Jump Lists, Libraries, some updated control panel applets and a properly placed Shut Down button.

It interoperates fine with "old" Server 2008 and has an install-time Commit Charge of 172MB. It boots a little slowly compared to Server 2003, but I haven't observed the problem I have with Windows 7 (periodically lagging vs. my typing). I can't tell the difference between it and the older version of Server 2008 in terms of performance, which in this case I will take to be a good thing.

From a user perspective, I'm happier overall with R2 than with Server 2008. I haven't really dug in to the admin stuff, but I don't expect that's changed much either.