Windows 8.1

ddrueding

Fixture
At least for Windows 8 there is a non-obvious way to run it with a local account (the same as previous versions). Once it is set during the install it behaves exactly as you would expect.

By default, they make you set up a "Live" account tied to your e-mail. I find this offensive, it makes me feel more like a product than a customer.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That doesn't much help for the people who took a PC out of a box and did what it told them. Except the part about remembering a password.
Windows does prompt people to make a password recovery disk but I've never in the history of time heard of anyone doing that.

One of the best parts of the Live.com account recovery process is that it asks for contacts and email subject lines from people who aren't necessarily Hotmail or Outlook users AND also Xbox payment info AND possible old passwords. If you can't remember the only password you've ever used, don't have a Microsoft email account, never used Xbox and registered with an land line phone (no SMS), I have no idea what basis they have for actually doing a password recovery, plus now you're giving a third party a bunch of identity theft-rich information. Awesome.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I guess by the time my Technet sub expired, MS hadn't released Win 8, so the only OS sw I have is Win 7.

I'm mulling buying a copy of Win 8.1. I create Word docs in some other languages, so I don't know if the SL version will work for me or not, it isn't clear. I'm also running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, so I'd want Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit.

I'm kinda too old and impatient to do a full install; as you know it's not only the OS but a gazillion other sw and settings. I'd like to do an in-place upgrade of Win-7. I see only dubious upgrade products on Amz. I guess the OEM 64-bit stuff is full install only. If there's no other choice, I'll do a full install.

Any advice and guidance reg. editions and where to buy at the best price? Thanks.

Mercutio

First, the product key and media of a full Windows CoA can be used for a license/region appropriate upgrade. You can't upgrade a Volume License copy and I'm not sure if an OEM key will upgrade a retail (say, Technet) edition either. My guess is that it would, or at least it would if you called the activation hotline and talked to somebody about it.

Single Language might not be a good fit for you, but if you aren't really changing your keyboard and don't need the resource strings in Windows changed, I think you'd be able to get by. SL is pretty much a "Home" edition of Windows though. I don't know if Remote Desktop or desktop virtualization rights or whatever are things that you need.

7 to 8.1 upgrades aren't too awful, really. Easy Transfer actually does a really good job of moving your settings, but if you have other software licenses and you don't want to deal with moving them, I understand the temptation to just upgrade in place. I've done them a few times and not seen too much weirdness. Definitely nothing like the bad old days of Windows 2000 to XP.

You're in India and I have no earthly idea what the market is like there, but I'm willing to buy a key from anybody that will ship me the sticker and let me use my own media. As long as I have the sticker, I figure I'm probably covered. I usually find keys through Google Shopping. Right this second I see someone offering keys through Etsy (the craft marketplace!) for $38, but they are offering stickers and not just keys. I'd go for that.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
First, the product key and media of a full Windows CoA can be used for a license/region appropriate upgrade. You can't upgrade a Volume License copy and I'm not sure if an OEM key will upgrade a retail (say, Technet) edition either. My guess is that it would, or at least it would if you called the activation hotline and talked to somebody about it.

Sorry I didn't tell you what type of Win 7 I have. It's the Ultimate version from my lapsed Technet subscription. So which versions of Win 8.1 will work for me? Based on what you say, I should be able to use the key and media of full Win 8.1 and do an in-place upgrade of my Win 7 installation?

Single Language might not be a good fit for you, but if you aren't really changing your keyboard and don't need the resource strings in Windows changed, I think you'd be able to get by. SL is pretty much a "Home" edition of Windows though. I don't know if Remote Desktop or desktop virtualization rights or whatever are things that you need.
I do change my keyboard to a couple of other languages in MS Word; this is critically important for me. So let's chuck SL versions. Have never used and don't need Remote Desktop & desktop virtualization. But I would still want the Pro version, not the Home version.

7 to 8.1 upgrades aren't too awful, really. Easy Transfer actually does a really good job of moving your settings, but if you have other software licenses and you don't want to deal with moving them, I understand the temptation to just upgrade in place. I've done them a few times and not seen too much weirdness. Definitely nothing like the bad old days of Windows 2000 to XP.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you say here. I read somewhere that if one does an in place upgrade from 7 to 8, all the installed programs get hosed. Is this true? If it is, then I have to do a clean install painful as it is. Most important to me are Office Pro 2010, browsers Chrome and Firefox. The other programs I'm sure will be compatible, or I can chuck them.

You're in India and I have no earthly idea what the market is like there, but I'm willing to buy a key from anybody that will ship me the sticker and let me use my own media. As long as I have the sticker, I figure I'm probably covered. I usually find keys through Google Shopping. Right this second I see someone offering keys through Etsy (the craft marketplace!) for $38, but they are offering stickers and not just keys. I'd go for that.

All SW here is insanely priced. Cheaper to buy in the US and have someone bring a DVD/CD down, or download from the vendor if that option is available. Yesterday I was looking at Win 8 Pro Upgrade Key from Royal Discount. Early on in their existence, they were considered shady (I lived in the US then); now they have a ton of endorsements on their site, don't know the veracity. What say you? I'll also check out the suggestions you've made. But how does one buy a key from an unknown person? What is the guarantee the key has not been used?

I guess once I have the key, I can download the Win 8.1 iso direct from MS using this link and it should work?

If I use the upgrade, and judgement day comes - my disk died and my OS backup images fail - can I do a fresh install of the Win 8.1 upgrade if I have the Win 7 Technet DVD and key?

Thanks a ton!

Mercutio

7 has a non-destructive upgrade to 8. XP did not have a non-destructive upgrade to 7, which may be what you're remembering.
Other than that, you can back up your Firefox profile with MozBackup. In practice I've found that Chrome doesn't like userlaned tools that mess with its Profile folder unless they're malware, in which case they can come right in and stomp all over your settings, but you can back up Chrome settings through your Google account if nothing else.

Stereodude

Not really a
So tonight I fired up a Windows 8.1 install that hadn't been booted since late January 2015 on my Zotac BI320. After a long wait for Windows Update to sort itself out, there were only 214 updates to install. :frusty:

Mercutio

That Offline Windows Update installer I have is a freaking godsend for things like that. But it's a one-time deal for you, not something you see every week. You can remember that next time you feel the need to count your blessings.