Wireless router: 8 port, gig. Easy turning on and off wireless.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Anyone have an industrial strength router/wireless that is Gigabyte speed, that they like, and have had good luck with?

ddrueding

Fixture
If you want to go hardcore, get a pair of these and some of these, add the rest of the hardware and software of your choice (Smoothwall, for example with some basic modifications), and that is about as hardcore/fast as a home-user could possibly want.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
This Buffalo is decent, especially after the price drop. DD-WRT out of the box and the gigabit ports actually do gigabit transfers. I paid $90 or so at the time, and it has been well behaved.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Greg, I'm not aware of a Wireless router with more than 4 LAN ports. The norm is to provide this as separate devices, i.e. a WAP router and an 8 (or more) port gigabit switch.

Why do you need to be able to easily turn wireless on and off?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I was looking for a compact, clean solution to my setup. I pulled the
54Gl when the guy wouldn't pay the bill.

The new modem they gave me requires a power down and restart everytime I add a device. On top of that, the units have to be powered up in a certain order to get everything working:
Modem, Wireless, switch, or the switch seems to grab control, stopping the wireless router from working.

I was kind of hoping for a one box, plug and play solution.

David: Last time I checked, I'm out of PCI slots on the server, and, The Beast doesn't have any slots open, either.

I'd rather have a device that is on all the time, consuming little power, then a computer that sucks up a LOT of juice, and, is often turned off.

Anyone using a 4G phone connection as the gateway, and hooking that up to a wireless router for web access?

Just heard Tmobile is now ATTmobile, bought by ATT.
Yuck. Sprint here I come...

Airwire looks like something I might use...

http://www.ubnt.com/airwire

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Net seemed unusually snappy today. Just checked speed, and, I'm getting bursts to 70mbps,
or slightly higher, then settles down to a solid 22-23mbps.

Using the WRT54gl I was getting maybe 12 mbps.