Wireless to Wireless Bridge

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Does such a thing exist? I bought a TRENDnet TEW-638APB a few months back and finally got around to configuring it tonight. I thought I could use it to wirelessly bridge one Wireless Access point with several wireless devices. Basically the TRENDnet bridge would be connected with no ethernet cables. I don't think this is possible though after spending 3 hours trying to make that work.

The device I'm looking for would be both a wireless bridge and a wireless AP at the same time. After searching for a bit I don't think such a thing exists.

ddrueding

Fixture
I use devices designed for the purpose. Ubiquiti hardware is awesome, and their software is super-easy to work with. While the stuff I work with (Bullet M5-HP) might be a bit overkill, I have used the PowerStation2 out to about 10 miles. I have no experience with the smaller stuff (NanoStation M5), but if it has the same software you should be golden. At $90 each for the Nano, it isn't cheap, but that is for 100Mbps+ 802.11n @ 5Ghz.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Wait. I've gotten those to work before. I think I have one of those in my office. Don't you just have to tell it the network it should be propagating and type in the security info?

timwhit, your building may be all steel construction that just messes with 2.4GHz signals. Seems like you just have no luck with wireless-anything.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Wait. I've gotten those to work before. I think I have one of those in my office. Don't you just have to tell it the network it should be propagating and type in the security info?

timwhit, your building may be all steel construction that just messes with 2.4GHz signals. Seems like you just have no luck with wireless-anything.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to set it up. If you know please let me know how you did it. If you look at the manual I don't see a mode that describes what I'm trying to do.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I use devices designed for the purpose. Ubiquiti hardware is awesome, and their software is super-easy to work with. While the stuff I work with (Bullet M5-HP) might be a bit overkill, I have used the PowerStation2 out to about 10 miles. I have no experience with the smaller stuff (NanoStation M5), but if it has the same software you should be golden. At $90 each for the Nano, it isn't cheap, but that is for 100Mbps+ 802.11n @ 5Ghz.

I'm really unsure what these are for exactly.

For example, the NanoStation, reading the description and datasheet I can't tell if I can use it as both a wireless bridge and AP. They really only show it connected to remote camera via cable. I looked for the manual, but couldn't find anything.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie

My building is over 100 years old and I'm in the "garden" unit (basement). I think it's that wireless signals won't go though concrete.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm really unsure what these are for exactly.

For example, the NanoStation, reading the description and datasheet I can't tell if I can use it as both a wireless bridge and AP. They really only show it connected to remote camera via cable. I looked for the manual, but couldn't find anything.

Ubiquiti equipment is designed for wireless ISPs, both for links from towers to peoples homes and for backhauls from tower to tower. What you are essentially after is a backhaul from one side of your place to the other.

If you are trying to go a short distance, this is not the solution for you. I recommend you work with Merc on the boxes you have. Move them into the same room during configuration to make sure the settings are correct, that way if they don't work when you move them to final locations you know it's a reception issue.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think if you turn off security and use WDS mode you end up with a wireless bridge. There was something funny with the security settings and WDS, anyway, but that's what WDS is for.

ddrueding

Fixture
On the older Ubiquiti stuff, WDS only worked if you used the lowest encryption mode (WEP) or none at all. WPA or better borked it.