Wireless USB 3.0?

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a need for high/ultramega-speed USB3.0 to a place without conduit. Installing a conduit would cost thousands, but I have the OK as a worst-case. Anyone have a better solution? There will be a switch with several devices hanging off it (optical drive, scanner, key, mouse).

The budget is pretty much open.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Wireless USB is only certified for operation at "2.0" or Superspeed, and even then only at ranges under 3m. At 10m, speed drops to 100Mbit.

Good luck with that conduit.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I know it is big a kludge, but what about using a KVM with USB that will either directly run wirelessly or through Ethernet and thereby you can make it go wirelessly.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Linksys USB over PowerLine - this one is only USB 1.1.

devolo USB over PowerLine - this one is USB 2.0 and good enough to stream HD Video, but I can't see any actual numbers.

My original idea was as Mark described: 2x 500Mb/s PowerLine-to-Ethernet adapters coupled with USB-to-Ethernet adapters. A quick look around suggests that the USB-Ethernet conversion is problematic and speeds are often poor.

May we ask why you need USB 3.0? The peripherals you listed don't sound that demanding. And why can't you locate a dedicated Mini-ITX box next to them?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a DLink Wireless USB kit that I was messing with in relation to some point of sale equipment. It was kind of awful. It DOES work for things like printing, but it loses connection all the damned time and data rates are abysmal unless you're standing so close that you might as well plug in in the first place.

ddrueding

Fixture
May we ask why you need USB 3.0? The peripherals you listed don't sound that demanding. And why can't you locate a dedicated Mini-ITX box next to them?

Law office. Complex conference room setup. The assistants who do the argument prep are on the conference table and often need to scan in/read stuff from disks. The computers the projectors are connected to are in a closet. The floor is hardwood over concrete. USB2.0 would work I suppose, but it is tougher to sell at high prices than the latest/greatest.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
USB to cat5 extender with shielded cable?

What properties of the conduit do you actually need?

ddrueding

Fixture
I've used USB3.0 active extensions before to 30'+, so any conduit would do. If there was some hardcore fiber adapter that would be perfect. Right now there is no conduit to the table at all; just cables along the floor. This isn't OK at a law office apparently.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Drop it from the ceiling in some sort of feature to suit the room, eg. chrome pole, hollowed out turned timber, etc. Or you could paint it white and call it an iPole.