World Community Grid

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Any interest in join in on this distributed computing project from the get-go? Maybe the client will not have some of the compatability issues we're seeing with F@H.... (dd, specifically).

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

Clocker

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Oh, I wanted to point out that it supports a wide range of recent versions of Windows.

No Linux.
No Unix.
No Mac.
No Nuthin else.

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Fascinating . . . I've never seen anything like this. Have I not been around or what? lol
Problem is, I am a very suspicious person; I don't join anything that has the words "world community" in it.
Actually the big reason is that I, like Buck, don't use idle CPU time. If I'm not using the 'puter, it's usually turned off or is in use by others.

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Not to mention that high-speed internet is an alien concept in Amish country, therefore it is not available here, meaning I do not have it. I'm not sure if the WCG would need it or not though. . .

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I think I like F@H better anyway since it runs as a service so easily.

miksmi

What is this storage?
client for Redhat

I have a Redhat 9.0 file server that I'd like to leave on all the time if there's an easily configured distributed computing client. I run United Devices (the World Community Grid client) on an XP workstation and I'd like to avoid a client with similar issues. UD doesn't allow saving/restoring the configuration when repaving (UD creates a new UD device id, complicating administration) and talks to the console so it doesn't run as a service without FireDaemon.

I presume there's a StorageForum team for some worthwhile cause. What does everyone recommend for Redhat 9.0, F@H?

miksmi

What is this storage?
Thanks for the links, guys. I looked over the F@H FAQ and forum but didn't find the answer to: Let's say I install F@H, then repave Redhat. Is there a way to save the configuration? I ask because with United Devices, there's no (simple) way to save the configuration: you reinstall, UD creates a new device ID, and now one server has two device IDs associated with it. Does F@H share this design issue, and if it does, is there a workaround?

Handruin

Administrator
If you save the folder where F@H was installed, it should resume as you left off once you copy it back to the new machine. There is a file called "client.cfg" that has all your user info and team configuration. I'm not sure if that answers your question.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Clocker,

The reason I don't express interest in another distributed computing project is because I'm already committed to Folding@Home with SF's team. I see no benefit in splitting my efforts.

There really isn't anything wrong with the other distributed computing projects but rather why switch? For new people there are now lots of choices but SF has a very low new member rate -- Not enough for multiple teams.

At least that is my rational.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Hey..no problem guys! :) I was just gaging to see if there was any interest. not a big deal to me at all. Ground floor opportunities are kind of cool sometimes but F@H is a good reliable project to work on so I have no problem sticking with it. :)