World's First 15kRPM SATA Drive ??? (Seagate)

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
This coming Monday (14/June) there will be an announcement of all the hard drives that Seagate plans to introduce this calendar year. Possibly the most inteesting will be the new 3.5-inch form factor Cheetah 15K.4, with capacities of 36 GB, 73 GB, and 147 GB, and available with Fibre-Channel, Ultra 320 SCSI, Serial Attached SCSI (SAS), or Serial ATA (SATA) interfaces. If true, you can throw out yer Raptors.

There will also be a new 1-inch 5 GB drive to compete with IBM/Hitachi Microdrives as well as 3-platter 400 GB and 500 GB SATA drives for pure storage capacity capabilities.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Gary,

According to the 15k.4 spec sheet there is no SATA Cheetah. Is Seagate introducing that in the future?

I don't know about you guys, but the 100GB Momentus 7200.1 looks tempting. :)

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
LunarMist said:
According to the 15k.4 spec sheet there is no SATA Cheetah. Is Seagate introducing that in the future?

I don't know. (I've seen the spec sheets also).

A 15kRPM SATA drive and NO 10kRPM SATA drive does not make sense. However, according to the spec sheets, there is a 15kRPM SAS Cheetah, but also no 10kRPM SAS Cheetah -- that DOESN'T make sense!

The E-mail I got earlier in the day is also reflected by ExtremeTech (SATA 15kRPM Cheetah)...

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1608911,00.asp

I'd say there isn't a 15kRPM SATA drive, but it won't be crystal clear until Monday.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The Momentus 100 gig 7200 is one I've been waiting for.

I just hope Seagate maintains both quality and service levels...
s

e_dawg

Storage Freak
If the availability on the Momentus 7200 is anything like it was on the Momentus 5400, I think we'll be waiting for the better part of a year before they actually become widely available in the channel.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I would not be surprised if many of the new drives are not available for some time. I think the announcement timing is interesting, being so soon after the layoffs. I would expect the SCSI drives first if I were betting.

However, a faster boot drive than the 15K.3 is not really need since my system is CPU limited most of the time. The practical course of action would be to replace a 250GB 7200RPM drive with a 400GB+ one.