XSL

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
Anybody know any good books for learning XSL and related technologies.
I work on developing custom pages for this web product.
Their recent edition moved to an XML/XSL model and I need to learn that.
I'm familiar with ASP, vbscript, javascript and html.

Handruin

Administrator
I didn't know until I read Howell's link. I don't fully understand the use for this until I find a good example...the hunt begins.

If you don't understand the meaning of this, think of XSL as a language that can transform XML into XHTML, a language that can filter and sort XML data, a language that can define parts of an XML document, a language that can format XML data based on the data value, like displaying negative numbers in red, and a language that can output XML data to different devices, like screen, paper or voice.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Handruin said:
I don't fully understand the use for this until I find a good example...the hunt begins.

Based on the text you quoted, it seems to be on-the-fly formatting based on the information that is to be displayed ("red text") and taking into account the display device.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't understand how the data is formatted. I think it needs specific browser support, but I may be mistaken.

I was envisioning XSL as a style sheet (for lack of better understanding) for XML. If I wanted to style my XML, or have XML displayed in a certain way, I would apply XSL...but I don't know.