yeha Merc is turning in Folding results

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
One result. *One*. The console client is broken. The useless graphical one works OK. Maybe if y'all are good I'll turn in a couple more.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Ole Merc-man,
download if nothing else works, try the Flash version! :wink:

PS. Now let's see your crunching abilities big-talker...

Mercutio

What big talk? I'm not using any hardware that actually belongs to me to do any crunching. All you're getting is a measly little XP1700+. That's it.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Mercutio, I had trouble like yours with the console client when I was trying to run it alongside the United Devices client. As soon as I got rid of UD, it became perfectly OK. I've run it on about 15 machines, I guess, nearly all VIA chipset Athlons, but also K6-IIIs (VIA), a P-III (VIA with integrated video), Durons (VIA and AMD 750), and an Athlon XP on an ECS SiS chipset board which crashes from time to time - but those dreadful ECS boards crash just trying to boot Windows, so we can't blame the Foldig client for that.

I suspect that you are having a conflict with one of your other programs. Exactly what else is running on the machine in question? Can you give me an exact list? Maybe I can spot something.

Mercutio

Nothing at all. As in, the only applications even loaded on this machine besides what comes with Windows were the various divx codecs, ghost, Mozilla, Nero, Winamp and Winzip.

I tried stock builds of 2000 Pro and XP on a couple of machines I set up for quicky testing. The console client was just broken somehow.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
What big talk? I'm not using any hardware that actually belongs to me to do any crunching. All you're getting is a measly little XP1700+. That's it.
Jeez... what a disappointment...

All these external-internal firewalls, demilitarized zones, minefields, alligators, trenches, castles and catapults, etc... (blah blah... you get the picture) for just a puny little XP 1700+?!

:frusty:

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Mercutio said:
Nothing at all. As in, the only applications even loaded on this machine besides what comes with Windows were the various divx codecs, ghost, Mozilla, Nero, Winamp and Winzip.

I tried stock builds of 2000 Pro and XP on a couple of machines I set up for quicky testing. The console client was just broken somehow.

That is strange Mercutio. I'm running the console client on two Windows XP Home systems, a Windows 2000 Pro system, and a NT 4.0 Server system. The Windows XP Home systems are both using VIA chipsets with AMD XP flavored CPUs. The other systems are using Intel PIII Coppermines - one on a VIA chipset, the other using an Intel chipset (both dualies).

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, if you can get one work unit through you should be able to get 100 through. What did you do to make it work THAT time?

C

Handruin

Administrator
Prof.Wizard said:
Mercutio said:
Jeez... what a disappointment...

All these external-internal firewalls, demilitarized zones, minefields, alligators, trenches, castles and catapults, etc... (blah blah... you get the picture) for just a puny little XP 1700+?!

:frusty:

Puny little 1700+... I'm running the original 1.2 GHz that isn't even an XP. Guess I need to upgrade to stay with the Jone's.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Handruin said:
Puny little 1700+... I'm running the original 1.2 GHz that isn't even an XP. Guess I need to upgrade to stay with the Jone's.
Joking of course. Not better here myself. Athlon T-Bird 1.33GHz.

It's only that I was expecting Mercutio to protect some kind of custom-made Tiger quad-processored water-cooled AthlonMP 2500+ system behind all these firewalls...

Perhaps he's protecting other, more sensitive <caugh caugh> data... Rocco, will you comment here? :roll:

Mercutio

Prof, I don't have any superfast machines. My nicest box at the moment is an XP1800+. My "average" machine is probably a 1GHz athlon or Duron. The only common thread with my desktop machines is that they all have at least two 40GB or larger hard disks (a couple have six IDE drives, one has 13 drives, mixed IDE and SCSI).

alpha754293

What is this storage?
Mercutio said:
Prof, I don't have any superfast machines. My nicest box at the moment is an XP1800+. My "average" machine is probably a 1GHz athlon or Duron. The only common thread with my desktop machines is that they all have at least two 40GB or larger hard disks (a couple have six IDE drives, one has 13 drives, mixed IDE and SCSI).

HOLY COW!!!!

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
No. it's just that the whole config reminded him Saint Cow. He's followed in some parts of Southern India... :-?

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Rocco, will you comment here?

How am I supposed to know? He's on dial up and (as you said) he has a firewall. He also said he is not a fan of mine which is very disturbing so I will end this post here :(

Mercutio

Sorry Rocco, I'm just not into the rough stuff.

Prof, if you really want to know what I have, airmail me a 160GB drive. I'll fill it up for you. :)

Mercutio

Seems like that machine has results every damn time I look at it. What's it doing while it's waiting to turn in results?

19th place with 17 pathetic work units. Tannin will be passed next.

SteveC

Storage is cool
I have a whopping 2 WUs done, in 23rd place! I doubt I'll be able to catch many of you guys, but every little bit counts.

Steve

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Mercutio said:
Seems like that machine has results every damn time I look at it. What's it doing while it's waiting to turn in results?

19th place with 17 pathetic work units. Tannin will be passed next.

Nothing. It just sits there waiting. We used to be getting really big proteins to crunch but I'm getting proteins that take 6 hours on a celeron 600 these days. I hope they implement something like a -nonet option soon.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I have two machines going, the cast off K6-IIIs that Tea graciously allowed me to have after I threatened to cry. Both are 450+ chips. One is the Windows NT box in the workshop that I have clocked up to 500MHz and it runs 24/7 but sufferes from the stupid lack of a "no net" option. The other is the second office machine. I have clocked it up to 556MHz (112MHz x 5.0) but it is on only about half the time, and running Windows 98SE about half of that time. The rest of the time it runs Warp and doesn't crunch.

Tea is down to just two machines now; an XP 1800 and a Thunderbird 1333, both at home and both running 24/7. (But crippled by the stupid no-net thing, of course.) She's wondering if she should build a couple more Athlons to run in the workshop again.