YOUR FAVORITE VERSION OF MSFT OFFICE?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I'm still running Office 2000, and, while it doesn't have activation, some of the templates from MSFT are now not compatible with it.

I've been looking at the different standard versions of Office, thinking that I MIGHT want the new version of Outlook, Word, etc.

Anyone have any preferences, or reasons for a switch from 2000, to 2003, or 2007? Worked a bit with the 2007 version of Word, but, I'm not sure the activation stuff is worth the online benefits. I need expert opinions from folks that use features I probably don't.

OS will be 2003 Server, or XP. Don't see Vista in the mix for a LONG time.

GS

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I switched to Open Office. It's free.
Don't know if it will do what you want though.

Bozo :joker:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I generally like Wordperfect better than other word processors.
I need to make a spreadsheet about once a year.
I firmly believe that presentation software causes a drop in IQ.
I still deal with E-mail using a text-only client that doesn't understand MIME about half the time.
And if I have to make a database I'd sooner use pieces of paper than do anything with Access.

If I had to pick a favorite of the Microsoft products, it'd be Office 95.
Why?
1. No Outlook.
2. It does everything all the other versions do, but it's a lot smaller and faster.
3. No Outlook.
4. No Clippy, either.

Office 2007 Enterprise, if you can get a copy, does not have activation.
I don't mind the ribbon. It drives my co-workers nuts. I suspect that they learned Office by memorizing pathways to things rather than looking at the screen for generally the thing they want. As far as I can tell the best thing about Office 2007 is the Calibri font that's included. There are no other improvements.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I was quite happy with Office 2000. The only benefits I have personally seen with Office 2003 is with Outlook 2003. Outlook 2003 has a great filtration system.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Later versions of MSO 2000 had activation, and everything since.

MSO 2007 has a new UI that involves a steep learning curve.

MSO XP is the Windows ME of MSO.

You already have MSO 2000.

Having used MSO since MSO 95 thru 2003, I like 2003 best; very smooth, all the minor UI kinks worked out, very stable. It's my favorite MSO release.

I was a die-hard Wordperfect fan till Corel bought it and sodomized it (and still are).

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio, that was a master post.

I thought it summarized the whole Office-crap-Office phenomenon.

And yes, WordPerfect is a better solution than Word/Excel for most people who need a spreadsheet. This is because Microsoft hasn't upgraded Excel's presentation abilities since its inception, i.e. it stinks. They have a vested interest in perpetuating the myth that people need a "suite" of programs.

Pieces of paper sounds like a higher quality alternative to Access.

My only disagreement is with Office 95 - I found it to be hugely buggy compared to Office 97.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm using Office 2007 Ultimate. I dislike activation, but honestly it isn't a big deal effort wise; it just takes a tiny part of your soul. I'm with Merc on the new ribbon UI; some people claim it's hard, but unless you survived by memorizing the locations of stuff, it's hard to see why.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Office 97 inflicted Outlook on the world and therefore is much worse than Office 95.

The way I figure it, 90% of the people who have any version of MS Office installed on their PC could get away with using Wordpad, a tabulating calculator and a decent webmail app without any loss in functionality or productivity.
Please contradict me, 'cause when I look at what my clients are doing with Word, Excel, Outlook and Pointpoint, I'm disgusted by how much money they waste on those programs.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I had a couple college professors that didn't like what they did with word past office 97, so if you just want to write 95 and 97 had a minimum of crap that gets in the way. Personally I use notepad more than word.

I have to use outlook for work and we are all standardized on office 03 there and I can get along with it with a minimum of hassle. I use fastmail for all my personal mail and I don't have a personal calendar beyond my PDA or blackberry. I have a mixture of office 97 and 03 at home, don't use them to much at all.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
When installing Office 2000 or 2003, you can do a custom install and leave Outlook out. Or anything else you don't need/want.

Bozo :joker:

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
My opinion is that from 95-2005 they are basicly all the same (I don't see a negative about Outlook because the is no obligation to use that which you are not going to use). Now 2007 is a different beast because the user interface is totally different.

In all cases, WordPerfect is better, more intuitive but get the most recent version you can because some of the older versions are outright buggy.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I personally know a lot of people/companies still running Office 2000, because the newer versions offered nothing that they required (or even would like to have). Some are migrating to Office2K7 due to the new file format (so that they are able to received Office2K7 docs without any issues), but for no other reason.

Didn't mind Office 97 / 2000 or 2003. Disliked XP in particular Words inability to handle formatting style correctly, (this is where IMO Word Perfect kicks arse over Word). Out of 97/2K/2K3, liked 2K3 the most.

About to install Office2K7 on my office laptop, so can't really give an opinion on it (yet).

I only use Word, and very occasionally Excel. Like Merc, I think Powerpoint sucks IQ points from anyone that uses it, or forces it use. Outlook 2K3 is pretty darn good, due to the RPC over HTTP interface for Exchange2K3, and better junk filtering. Earlier versions of Outlook, were, ho hum...

At home, I migrated from Office2K3 to Abiword/Gnumeric/Thunderbird, etc and haven't really lost any functionality, (but I'm also no longer running Windows primarily either, except for gaming and to check cross-OS compatibility with my application development work).

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Thanks for the suggestions. After loosing most everything in my address book, I'm real tempted to try the above suggestions, and programs.

Thanks Mercutio.

GS

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Best version of Office?

Well, the only Office app I use is Word, which I use every day to generate invoices and purchase orders.

Microsft Word is super fast - I mean way faster than whatever you are using right now - it requires practically zero memory, and never, ever crashes. The documents it produces are tiny, and near enough to plain vanilla ASCII that I can view them with any application. I don't even have to use a database: Word documents are so space-efficient that I can just do a simple, brute-force full text search of the data partition anytime I need to look stuff up, and have a result while anybody else would still be waiting for Access to start up.

What about reinstallation when you upgrade a hard drive or migrate to a new computer? Can't find the install discs? Tired of buggerising about with all the activation and registration bullshit? Word is so easy to reinstall that your cat could do it: just copy the program folder across to your new machine. No install routine required, no registry setting tweaks, no phoning home with your personal data, no need to locate the original CD or serial number, just copy the files.

For running a busy office, Microsoft Word is perfect.

The version of choice, indeed, the only version worth having, using, or even thinking about using, is 5.5. Here is a screenshot of it running - in this case under Ecomstation (AKA OS/2) but you can use any operating system you prefer. Word is the one with the red background. (I use a second copy, with a more restful dark blue background for most jobs, the red one is pre-configured to always print to the fax machine. The red reminds me that when I print it's going to send a fax.)

reddeskcrop.gif

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Google Docs is pretty good. I've used it for things that I need in multiple locations.

I think I'm going to give this a try.

Would be nice not to have to worry about loosing everything, or backups...

GS

ddrueding

Fixture
I've been using Google Docs almost exclusively for a few months now. Really pleased with it.

The only thing that is more cumbersome than it needs to be is to attach a document or spreadsheet to a GMail message (.doc, .pdf, etc). You need to export the file to your computer, than attach it to the e-mail. This is a common task (for me, anyway) and I wish it were simpler (ie: stayed on their servers).

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I'm using Office Enterprise 2007. Cost was $19.95, about $22 shipped, through the Home Use Program. If your employer does Software Assurance you might qualify.

Regular Office @ retail is just too expensive considering my usage pattern. If I didn't have access to Office so cheap I'd probably have switched to Open Office. That said, OO seemed quirky when I've used it before. But it probably would handle my somewhat basic needs.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I am a huge Outlook and Excel fan. Word, not so much. Access is okay, but better than anything else I have access to without resorting to writing SQL myself. I guess I think differently about this stuff partly because I use this stuff 8 hours a day every day for my job, and use the applications to a far greater extent of their capabilities more often than most users.

Outlook is such a boon to my scheduling / meeting / contact / e-mail management. Very easy to set up meeting times and places that work for everyone with the Exchange server. Very easy to set-up To-Do lists, prioritize tasks, set and defer reminders, keep track of partially completed items, make simple group decisions via polls / voting, sharing e-mails & calendars, basic project management stuff, etc. Syncs with almost any portable device too. Basically, I am 10x more productive at work with Outlook than without it.

Excel is one of those killer apps that has basically made number cruching and report generation for millions of analysts efficient, productive, and possible. Besides things like Pivot Tables, vlookups, quick filters, subtotals, counts, conditionals, validation, multiple tabs, sumproducts, paste special functions, time-saving VBA macros, charting, trending & forecasting, and the iterative solver, the way with which you can manipulate spreadsheets is just so quick, efficient, and saves so much time. You can also do some powerful things with its built-in VBA scripting language. Along with Cognos PowerPlay (and to a certain extent Outlook and Access), it has made my career possible and (relatively) enjoyable. Thank you MSFT.

As for which version, I usually prefer Office 2000. I have XP at home, but it manages to buggerise (as Tannin would say) things that shouldn't be buggerised (more so than 2000, which actually does a small enough amount not to be problematic). For example, Outlook XP does not know how to keep a copy of read messages on the server without downloading it again and keeping 2, 3, 4, ... , n copies of your messages... at least on the old pop server I was using. Never tried 2003 or 2007, but can't imagine they made any changes of significance.

As for Office alternatives, I've used various versions of OpenOffice through the years (and whatever it was called before OpenOffice... StarOffice?). Pretty good. The word processor is quite good I find. The spreadsheet doesn't quite compare to Excel in UI efficiency and usability, but it's passable.

I am quite disappointed with Google Docs, however. The UI efficiency and functionality is utter crap; this is especially obvious with the spreadsheet. Smart cell/row/column cut/copy/paste/insert/delete/extend functions are nonexistent, and you have to resort to doing everything manually one function at a time. Everything takes 10x longer than if I were to do it in Excel (and I have used Google Spreadsheets for dozens of hours out of necessity trying to coax it into doing what I wanted it to do).

Besides creating and maintaining the simplest documents which don't incur much editing, the only thing it is useful for IMO is being able to read documents you created with Office anywhere you have Internet access. Very inadequate substitute IMO. If you can't afford Office or simply don't like it (and don't want to bother with WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, or Quattro Pro), OpenOffice is my recommendation. That's what I use at home when I do things for personal use.

ddrueding

Fixture
When I was an "information worker" or whatever they are called these days, I loved office. Outlook with an Exchange back-end kicks major ass; I don't know of anything else that comes close (I did look for a while).

But these days all I do is throw together about 10 single-page 5-10 item invoices from a template spreadsheet per week, and occasionally do a page or two of documentation. For this Google Docs is fine. It is easily half the speed of MS Office when it comes to the UI, but that means it takes me 2 minutes a day instead of 1. In return, I have access to my documents anywhere and free software! Woo!

I guess it all depends on what you are after.

Deadwood

What is this storage?
I use OpenOffice.org, for cost, and cross-platform reasons. If I created a lot of word processor documents, I might learn latex/tex/lyx.

EDIT: I also use Google spreadsheets for things I want universally accessible.

Last edited:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Google Spreadsheets are great if you want to have 2+ people edit a document at the same time. I have done it with 4 people at the same time. It's kind of like an instantly updated wikispreadsheet. I thought I might have invented that term, but just googled it and I was wrong again.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
e_dawg:

What version of Outlook are you using? How do you backup your database, contacts, schedules?

Anyway to back up to an external hard drive, flash drive, phone, PDA?

Thanks

Greg

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Office 2000 at work. You can backup by exporting to a file. Usually, I export to a PST file, which is the native Outlook format, or you can export to a CSV, which can be read by any application. Once you have a backup file, you can put it on any storage device you'd like. Keep in mind that each PST file must be < 1.8 GB in size or so. Must be something related to a 2 GB file limit plus overhead.

I usually "sync" my Outlook Calendar with Google Calendar by exporting it to a CSV and then uploading it to Google Calendar maybe once a week or so. That way, I have access to my calendar from anywhere.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Office 2000 at work. You can backup by exporting to a file. Usually, I export to a PST file, which is the native Outlook format, or you can export to a CSV, which can be read by any application. Once you have a backup file, you can put it on any storage device you'd like. Keep in mind that each PST file must be < 1.8 GB in size or so. Must be something related to a 2 GB file limit plus overhead.

I usually "sync" my Outlook Calendar with Google Calendar by exporting it to a CSV and then uploading it to Google Calendar maybe once a week or so. That way, I have access to my calendar from anywhere.

Awesome!
Got it.

Dr. Greg