Zalman power supplies

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Does anyone have an opinion on Zalman power supplies?

In Oz they're currently cheaper than Antec TruePower (I'm looking for something quiet, yet reliable).

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
I'm very happy with mine (ZM400A-APF). voltages are always stable and apart from the 12V line, all voltages are dead on or out by only 1-2% no matter what the the load. the 12V line sits consistently at 11.89V, however pretty much all reviews I've read on this PSU have it doing the same and I or they have not had a problem with it.

it is quiet too. not silent, but quieter than my previous PSU, an Antec Truepower 480W, which are generally considered a quiet PSU themselves..

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Antec is considered quiet to the uninitiated, but it is not considered to be in the same league as Zalman, Seasonic, Nexus, and some of the FSP PSU's. The only Antec I would recommend for quiet PC use is the TruePower 380S found in the Sonata case, after replacing the single 80 mm fan with a Panaflo M1A or L1A depending on the application.

Zalman is often a little overpriced, but it is good quality stuff (the ZM400A-APF 400 W, at least). I believe Zalman uses FSP innards, as do many of the quiet PSU companies. The 300 W apparently does not use the same quality of stuff as the 400 W model, so be sure to get the 400 W even though most people don't need 400 W, nor does it offer any more current on the +12 v rail than the 300 W version. The 400 W comes with one of the best 80 mm fans I have seen on a PSU ever: a top of the line NMB. The bearing quality is excellent. This is what I use on my other desktop along with a couple Panaflo case fans and a ThermalTake SilentBoost HSF -- all regulated by Zalman Fanmates.

The PSU on this desktop is an old Antec PP-303X that I modified by replacing its noisy 80 mm fan with a Panaflo L1A. Worked wonders, but would be quieter yet if I cut away the metal stamped grille and put on a chrome wire grille... but alas, I don't have the tools with which to do it.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I would go with the Zalman if its cheaper. They are good PSUs and quieter than the True Powers.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Perhaps the best solution in terms of line regulation, quality, and quietness might be to go with a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 400 and replace its fan with a Panaflo L1A. Unfortunately, it is not a very efficient PSU, so it will generate enough heat to max out the airflow capabilities of the L1A (meaning you're pushing the PSU to its safe thermal limits and potentially reducing its longevity a bit). But the practical choice for a quiet, high quality, reliable PSU out-of-the-box IMO would be either a Zalman 400 W (ZMA400-APF) or a Seasonic Super Silencer 300 W (SS-300AGX) unmodified.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I second that about the Antecs.

I have a TruePower 430 in my generic case and it is a good deal quieter then most, but it has a long way to go before I would qualify it as quiet....however, placing a towel or similar on the wall behind the computer to kill reflections pretty much effectively kills its noise emmisions. I don't think I can hear the inner 92 fan...definitely not over the CPU fan.

The Smart Power 300 (or 350 as I can't remember what it is) in my Antec case is definitely worse then the TruePower, but again, is better then your typical PSU for noise.

As for Zalman, I've only dealt with one - a 300 that just was installed as a replacement for a friend. It appears to be quiet, but nothing special. He got it fairly cheap, so no complaints there... e_dawg, what info have you on the 300APF (from SPCR?).

e_dawg

Storage Freak
CK, forgot how the 300 W Zalman is different, exactly, and not sure whether it uses inferior components in all of the 300 W units (or maybe it is just some units that use parts from different vendors -- as Mickey said, it would be foolish not to have another vendor at least as a backup supplier). But what I've heard (yes, it was there in one of the threads on SPCR once upon a time), is that the fan and heatsink IIRC were not quite up to the spec of the 400 W Zalmans (which would kinda make sense, given the higher output and therefore thermal requirements of the 400 W model).

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
If you open a 300 and 400 up to compare, the 400's heatsinks are positively massive and thick, and they come with a top quality NMB fan. The 300W versions come with smaller heatsinks and a Protechnic fan - its not a known brand although it seems of good quality.

Having used several samples of both while I was a Zalman reseller I can say that in identical systems the 400W version was noticeably quieter than the 300W.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I just checked, and the 400W is just over double the price of the 300W!

How much better did you say they were again? :(

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
How quiet do you need it to be? My choice, if the ZM300 is too loud, would be to swap the fan for a Panaflo L1A. I have done this and its really quiet.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
time, I purchased a Maxpower Whisper Series 400W from PC Case Gear a while ago. I paid $55 for it with case a purchase, however they are now listed at $85 by themselves. my lazy arse has yet to get around to using it but it looks and feels solid enough (caveat: for the money). a few reports I read on this PSU were positive. not much else I can tell you but it is perhaps another option for you to look at.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Max Power, that's the man who's name you'd love to touch,
but you musn't touch!
That name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it,
you musn't fear.
'Cause that name could be said by anyone!
:D

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
dunno.gif

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
How long before we have an entire conversation written up using nothing but smileys?

(Perhaps some of you will consider this a challenge.) :)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
BTW, I need at least three. They're to replace blown ones. :(

I'd normally buy HEC, but I thought it might be useful to grab a couple of quiet units (HEC is not quiet, although not noisy either). I can rotate two of the power supplies I have here.

I'm fed up with lesser brands. They just don't last, particularly in this climate. Actually, I'm slightly worried that a Zalman mightn't move enough air for cooling itself or the case ...

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'm beginning to suspect that my many subtle and often not so subtle (as in this case) references to "the Simpsons" are wasted on this group.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
-or-

Comic Book Guy: We are hardly nerds. Would a nerd wear such an irreverent sweatshirt?
Lisa: [reading the shirt] "C:/DOS C:/DOS/RUN RUN/DOS/RUN".
Lisa: Oh, only one person in a million would find that funny.
Professor Frink: Yes, we call that the "Dennis Miller Ratio."

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
And, since I'm cleaning off my desk and I can finally see them again, next to my stuffed Cthulhu teddy-dark-elder-god, I have an Android's Dungeon playset with Comic book Guy, Prof. Frink, Hank Scorpio and Dr. Stephen Hawking action figures (also a wind-up Bender from Futurama).

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Well it would certainly appear that at least Mercutio appreciates the references :D

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I don't think I've actually watched an entire episode of the Simpsons: Yes, those references are wasted on me.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
CityK said:
I'm beginning to suspect that my many subtle and often not so subtle (as in this case) references to "the Simpsons" are wasted on this group.

don't bother CityK, trying is the first step towards failure...

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Moe: Geez, this hot rod is souped up six ways from Sunday! Never had you figured for a gearhead, Homer.

Homer: Oh yeah, I'm a real expert.

Moe: What is that, a six barrel holleykauf?

Homer: You betcha!

Moe: Pedal block intakes?

Homer: Nothing but.

Moe: Miya half lifters?

Homer: Ah yeah.

Moe: I made that last one up!

Homer: I see.

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
CityK said:
I second that about the Antecs. I have a TruePower 430 in my generic case and it is a good deal quieter then most, but it has a long way to go before I would qualify it as quiet...

If anyone here can wait a few months, you should be able to buy one of a few *ALL* *NEW* Antec TruePower power supplies that are truly ultra[/i] quiet, because the only fans they use are "emergency" cooling fans -- otherswise THEY DO NOT USE FANS (!).

hmmm... what's this spelchek (sic) thingee at the bottom?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Now you got me intrigued. What form factor Gary? SATA connectors?

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
ddrueding said:
Dïscfärm said:
ultra[/i]

Just out of random drunken curiosity...which did you intend? underline or itallic?

Thanks for catching that. I actually meant ultra[/ u]. I guess I should've used that spelchektm thingee down below.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Buck said:
How about Thermaltake power supplies, such as the Silent Pure Power 480w (W0013)?

The ThermalTake PSU's are a cut below the others, but they will suffice in a pinch. IMO, they are a little quieter than most of the Antecs. Line regulation not quite as tight as Zalman, Seasonic, PC P&C, etc. Future Shock from SR reports that his TT PSU is very quiet and well built.

BTW, if some of you go to SPCR for advice on quiet computing, remember that their members are a little quick to dismiss TT products without giving them a chance (e.g., SilentBoost HSF, PSU's).

e_dawg

Storage Freak
One thing's for sure: avoid the Vantec Stealth PSU's. Some of these 420-520 W monstrosities have 3 noisy fans and have poor line regulation & noise/ripple.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
CityK said:

I catch all of them. I've watched the Simpsons more than any one man should. I have all 323 episodes sitting here on my computer in VCD format. My girlfriend even got me a Jeopardy based on the Simpsons for Christmas, but I can't find anyone who can compete against me.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Buck said:
How about Thermaltake power supplies, such as the Silent Pure Power 480w (W0013)?
TT is all flash. I have no need for a flashy PSU...let alone paying for one. Plus, only one SATA connector I believe. And as NRG stated, unlikely to be quiet.