Best movie you've seen

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
never Haerd of that one. I was a hardworker in that year and no time or interets for any computer tehnology. Anyway, so many comic books etc are redone as mobvies now and quite poor for the most parts. :(

Getting a little OT...

MI was a great series... Great pirate swashbuckling adventures, where voodoo magic was common place, swords fights won with the best insults, and fun/stupidity was placed above all else! The puzzles where damn hard as well! (Well for a 13 yr-old anyway).

Back OT...

Yep, it's a pity most comic to big-screen adaptions fail. I guess it comes a lot back to the user expectation of the move from the comic/cartoon to cinema. (But then again Hollywood does have a lot to answer for sometimes).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I saw Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer recently. It was appropriately comic-book-y (which means the plot was kinda juvenile and had holes you can drive a truck through, but I'm fine with that), but I wanted to see more of the Thing and Mr. Fantastic. The Silver Surfer was all noble and cool, but Galactus was a total cop-out. Galactus is a 100 foot tall guy with a giant prong-shaped helmet, not a storm cloud. :(

I also saw a science fiction movie called "Knocked Up", which was very amusing but in no way based on reality since it is based on the premise that a fat dude can get Katherine Heigl to have sex with him. Or have sex at all.

Mercutio

Also, Micheal Moore's Sicko was leaked on the Internet a few weeks ago.
I only technically have insurance (very expensive, catastrophic-only coverage) but that movie made me want to find insurance executives and get all Cougtek on their asses.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Also, Micheal Moore's Sicko was leaked on the Internet a few weeks ago.
I only technically have insurance (very expensive, catastrophic-only coverage) but that movie made me want to find insurance executives and get all Cougtek on their asses.

I have it downloaded, plan to watch it this weekend.

Mercutio

I can't believe the rating of Knocked Up. Was it that good/funny?

I've sincerely enjoyed everything Judd Apatow has ever done. Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared, the Cable Guy, Anchorman, 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up are all wonderful films.

My honest opinion (aside from the essential fiction of the movie, about fat losers getting laid), is that it is a very warm, sweet and true to life treatment of the subject matter. The humor is there, mostly from plumbing the depths of the main loser and all his loser friends.

Apatow's work (save maybe Anchorman) all seems to speak to how socially dysfunctional misfits find their place in the world. The man admits he was/is a misfit himself, and part of the appeal of his films is that he portrays misfits in a respectful and appealing light (particularly Andy in "40 Year Old Virgin"). I can't say how much I appreciate that, but I really do appreciate it.

For what it's worth, Seth Rogan has a new movie called "SuperBad" coming out later this summer that also looks like it'll be really funny.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_Island_(series)

Just need someone like Jessica Alba to play Elaine... ;)

JA at the MTV2005 movie awards...yummmmmmmy! NSFW link:

http://www.albacentral.com/image.html?img=gallery/2005mtvmovie/2005mtvmovie031.jpg

Getting a little OT...

MI was a great series... Great pirate swashbuckling adventures, where voodoo magic was common place, swords fights won with the best insults, and fun/stupidity was placed above all else! The puzzles where damn hard as well! (Well for a 13 yr-old anyway).

Back OT...

Yep, it's a pity most comic to big-screen adaptions fail. I guess it comes a lot back to the user expectation of the move from the comic/cartoon to cinema. (But then again Hollywood does have a lot to answer for sometimes).

Man From Uncle, a bit corny, Johnny Quest & The Thunderbirds (when I was really young), Ms Peel...what was it called w/Patrick McNee---Avengers?, "I'm not a #"...McGoowan in The Prisoner.

I saw Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer recently. It was appropriately comic-book-y (which means the plot was kinda juvenile and had holes you can drive a truck through, but I'm fine with that), but I wanted to see more of the Thing and Mr. Fantastic. The Silver Surfer was all noble and cool, but Galactus was a total cop-out. Galactus is a 100 foot tall guy with a giant prong-shaped helmet, not a storm cloud. :(

I also saw a science fiction movie called "Knocked Up", which was very amusing but in no way based on reality since it is based on the premise that a fat dude can get Katherine Heigl to have sex with him. Or have sex at all.

Anything with JA in it works for me :D.

"Knocked up" not realistic Merc as far as the central premise. Umm, ever see the women who gravitate towards men or power or creativity? Mr. Fatarse Silver who produced the Matrix series, you've seen the tall leggy blondes? And for sure you know how fatty Ron Jeremy looks in pr0n, along with some other guys that are just as fat and ugly as the guy in "Knocked Up"? Cagney & Lacy, what's her name the bitchy, fatty woman, co-star didn't she snag some better looking black guy as a husband? Make a bigtime movie Merc (not pr0n) and you'll get plenty of women while you're hot.

40yr Virgin had a very juvenile plot, teenage target market for sure.

Older target market, lame plot for pathetic losers, was the movie 'Sideways'- both the lead character and supporting 'buddy'---though she's not pretty, Korean-Canadian actress Sandra Oh's character, was the only mildly interesting one in the movie.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Planning on seeing "Knocked Up" shortly, (comes out in Cinemas next weekend here in Oz).

Went and saw "Transformers" yesterday (Sunday) as a rest after running the Gold Coast Half-Marathon on Sunday morning...

Very impressed with the movie, despite all the negative views from hard-core fans. Basically an action packed 2hrs of movie. It starts off a little slow, but continually picks up pace (never slowing down) until the final conflict between Optimus Prime vs Megatron.

The CGI is top notch, and shooting style is typical of a James Cameron Film (Exec-Producer).

The plot is a little thin, but as taken for a movie aimed at the 13yr old's the plot itself has enough depth. On the plot, there are many stabs at modern technology, so watch for them and they'll put a smile on your face. There are many technical holes in the plot, but you get over them pretty quick. (I'm not going to point those out, as they do impact on the overall plot).

4/5 from me... What would get it 5-stars? Fix up some of the technical holes, and make the Decepticons a little more aggressive/evil.

PS. Most of the complaints from hard-core fans relate to the how some characters are no longer the same vehicles as per the original cartoon, eg StarScream is a F-22 in the movie, but was a F-15C in the cartoon. Bumble-Bee is a Camaro and not a VW Bettle, etc. However I got over that pretty quick, despite growing up with them. (Yep, I had a Megatron, StarScream and Soundwave as a kid).

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I watched Sicko tonight. It made me pretty mad, although it was also funny at times.

Too bad I don't speak French, or I would move there.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Transformers rocked. Who thought the plot was thin? I didn't think so.
It seemed to have the right combination of action and comedy. Oh and a hot babe named Megan Fox ;)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I quite enjoyed Pixar's Ratatouille a few weeks ago. Thought it was one of the best films I watched in the past year.

Same day, I watched Live Free or Die Hard, which I found surprisingly good as well.

Yesterday, the CBC had a double-bill movie night: Minority Report and Mission Impossible. Despite all the ridiculousness of Tom Cruise recently, I thought Minority Report was just a great movie, and MI, while not quite as good, was still a lot of fun.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Same day, I watched Live Free or Die Hard, which I found surprisingly good as well.
I think it is the second best of the serie, just behind the original.

I don't think it is possible to own the electronic networks like the evil guys did though. I'm sure there are way more things that have to be done manually than what's controlled remotely in the movie.

[Edit]

What is this storage?
The%20Shining_s.jpg
.....here's Johnny!

[Edit]

What is this storage?

Yes, it's Jack. But, he says, "Here's Johnny!" (i.e. -- The Johnny Carson Show) as he's smashing through the locked door just before this iconic photo is taken. As the mayhem spreads, Jack N's character begins spouting off other famous television phrases as well.

I never saw the whole movie (back in the late '80s a few years after it was released), but, it was generally a pretty good movie from what I did see of it.

Here's a WAV file capture of that line from the movie:

http://www.indelibleinc.com/kubrick/films/shining/audio/johnny.wav

Mercutio

For what it's worth, Seth Rogan has a new movie called "SuperBad" coming out later this summer that also looks like it'll be really funny.

As I had foretold, Superbad is indeed the massive pile of win than I said it would be, and all who were involved in its creation shall one day be worshipped as gods. Gods of dick jokes, but gods nonetheless.

paugie

Storage is cool
Has anyone seen "Malena". I first saw it 2 years ago. Still like it.

Uh, if anyone is turned off by subtitles, then you have been warned. Also, I like listening to Italian better than listening to Spanish, don't know why.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Saw Die Hard 4.0 the other day. Didn't have many expectations so overall I thought it was an OK way to kick back. Thumbs up

Handruin

Administrator
I've been watching the Fire Fly series and it is really great. I know Mercutio gave it high ratings and I never got around to watching them until last week. I'm almost finished with all the episodes and kind of sad that there is no more to watch.

Mercutio

Watch the movie.
And then you can watch Buffy and Angel, by the same guy.

Also watch the specials on the DVD. You really get a sense of how close the members of the cast got, and how much they believe in the show.

And then watch Battlestar Galactica, which has nothing to do with anything made by Joss Whedon, it's just that it's really fucking good - like moments when you're ready to cry good and "I'm sorry, Officer, I'll quit yelling and scaring the neighbors now"-good. I just got Season 1 in HDDVD and it totally justifies the cost of the player, all by itself.

Handruin

Administrator
Watch the movie.
And then you can watch Buffy and Angel, by the same guy.

Also watch the specials on the DVD. You really get a sense of how close the members of the cast got, and how much they believe in the show.

And then watch Battlestar Galactica, which has nothing to do with anything made by Joss Whedon, it's just that it's really fucking good - like moments when you're ready to cry good and "I'm sorry, Officer, I'll quit yelling and scaring the neighbors now"-good. I just got Season 1 in HDDVD and it totally justifies the cost of the player, all by itself.

I've already seen Serenity, so I know I did things out of order. It doesn't matter because I really like the firefly series and I'll go back and watch the movie again once I'm done.

I've been wanting to get the Battlestar series. Is it a newer series or hasn't BSG been around for a long time? What HDDVD player did you settle on? I've been waiting for a reasonably priced 1080P unit to be available, but I'm not holding my breath.

Handruin

Administrator
I've never seen a single episode of Buffy, Angel, or BG... I'm very behind in my TV. Perhaps the free trial at netflix is in order to sample a few of these.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I've never seen a single episode of Buffy, Angel, or BG... I'm very behind in my TV. Perhaps the free trial at netflix is in order to sample a few of these.

I saw Firefly and Serenity on DVD. It was nice to watch them straight through. I only ever saw Buffy, Angel or BG two or three times. Maybe they could have grown on me but I wasn't willing to spend the time.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I've been wanting to get the Battlestar series. Is it a newer series or hasn't BSG been around for a long time? What HDDVD player did you settle on? I've been waiting for a reasonably priced 1080P unit to be available, but I'm not holding my breath.

Merc's talking about the new (re-imagined) BSG, not the '80's series. I know people who wouldn't be caught dead watching sc-fi/fantasy who watch BSG. There is some very good story writing in the series. Damn strike, I want series 4...

Yeah, Merc, I want to know what type of HD setup you are using as well.

Mercutio

At the moment, I have a 52" 1080p LCD TV with a Microsoft external HDDVD hooked up to the PC that is handling most video. I'm planning to replace the external drive with an internal BluRay/HDDVD unit in the near future. The PC I'm using it with is an Athlon x2/5200 "low wattage" model on a very modest Gigabyte nv6100 motherboard, sitting in an NSK2400 case. My video card is a 512MB Sapphire x2400 (DVI to 20" LCD and DVI/HDMI to TV), my sound is handled by an Auzentech X-Meridian to an Integra DTR-7.2 receiver. I use a Microsoft MCE remote sensor and a Harmony 890 remote for most of my control.

Software-wise, that PC is at present running Windows XP (the only one in my apartment, actually). I use PowerDVD 7.3 for most video playback, WinAmp for audio and that PC is running AnyDVD HD to kill things that annoy me about playing DVDs (like ads before the movie).

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
No country for old men. Those Coen boys are good. The academy (and just about everybody else heaped praise on Javier Bardem, but I though Tommy Lee Jones put in a stirling performance

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I saw that "300" film on the cable TV. Surprisingly boring it was for a war flick. I don't know what was up with the Scots and Brits in major roles; it did not feel very Greek or Persian to me.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Is anybody going to see Iron Man? I never was much for comics, but the trailers have piqued my interest

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
My wife & I will go see it. We do tend to avoid opening weekends, so we might not partake until it's been around for a week or two and people are distracted by Speed Racer (I'll probably see) & Indiana Jones 4 (we'll both watch).

Looks like a decent summer for blockbusters as long as the movies themselves are at least decent.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I'm definitely seeing in the theater:
Iron Man
Speed Racer (Imax) taking my 5 year old too.
Wall-e
Hancock
Hulk (edward norton can pull it off right?)

A great summer of movies - no doubt.
Also Zohan (adam sandler) looks pretty funny but I'll probably rent it.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Merc. probably would like the comic book-based movies and have something to say about them. Too bad he is no longer with us.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
There's quite a few movies my wife and i would like to go and see, but having our little son around makes it a little hard. So we've just been renting a few DVDs from blockbuster recently...

All I can say is, that I wasn't overly impressed with SAW IV, despite being a fan on the first 3.

@LunarMist: I actually liked "300". However I took it more as an artistic piece rather than the typical Hollywood action flick... (Like Sincity, etc).

PS. What's with Hoolywood doing all the Marvel Comics over the past few years? Has Hollywood run out of ideas? Do they have a wad of cash to throw out? Or did the writer's strike, cause the current trend?

PPS. Anyone know the status of Battle Star Galactica Season 4? (Only the first 10-11 of ~20 episodes were completed before the writers strike, and any further production has all been rumour mill type stuff).

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
... (Like Sincity, etc).

PS. What's with Hoolywood doing all the Marvel Comics over the past few years? Has Hollywood run out of ideas? Do they have a wad of cash to throw out? Or did the writer's strike, cause the current trend?

PPS. Anyone know the status of Battle Star Galactica Season 4? (Only the first 10-11 of ~20 episodes were completed before the writers strike, and any further production has all been rumour mill type stuff).

LOL, Speed Racer? Get Smart remake of the lame TV Series...uggh!

Love Guru, possibly the worst Mike Meyers movie yet...still Sincity Pt2, or anything with J. Alba is worth the DVD rental someday, just for the drool factor :D

HiDef trailer on AOL: http://movies.aol.com/movie/the-love-guru/29105/main

BSG4 has resumed production, new shows airing now, need an all new Alum iMac to do the stream d/l, so they say on MR's BSG thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=239937

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5284588#post5284588
By the way, folks know that the SciFi channel is also streaming the most recent 6 episodes of BSG on SciFi Rewind, yes? They're also commercial free. Just thought I'd mention it since everyone is talking about Hulu.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=239937
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebomberman
Unfortunately, Scifi.com's streaming is even worse on my iMac G5 Rev. A.

Large Flash files are just too much for it - I need h.264/Quicktime video.

SciFi.com is a little skippy on my Rev B iMac, but it comes through beautifully on my aluminum iMac at work (not that I'm watching BSG at work or anything
smile.gif
)
http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Season_4_(2008)

• Moore indicates that this season begins the "third act in the three-act structure where we're all moving towards the finale and the climax of all these different plot lines. In my head there's two chapters to go in the story and those can be of varying lengths." [12]
  • On Friday, June 1st 2007 the SciFi Channel issued a statement saying that Season 4 is going to be the final season. Ending the series with the upcoming 22-episode fourth season was a creative decision made by the show's executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick. SciFi executive VP of original programming Mark Stern said the channel's brass "respect the producers' decision to end the series." [13]
  • After filming all producible scripts, of which there were 11, the production went dark on 16 November 2007 due to the WGA strike.[14] The strike ended 13 February 2008 with production having resumed 25 March.[3]
  • According to The Watcher, the first ten episodes will air from April 4th to early June, with the rest of the season following later in 2008 or 2009 [15].
NSFW, timwit alert! :p

Grace in Maxim mag photoshoot (yowza, one hella fine piece of arse in this link):
http://www.beyondhollywood.com/gallery/grace-park-maxim-magazine-2005/

Anything Sharon/boomer/Athena = Grace Park, babealicious! frak, no more Grace :( (oh alright, I've only seen a couple of these shows once or twice at my friends place on cable)

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/gallery/the-battlestar-galactica-girls-in-gq/

paugie

Storage is cool
I saw 3 movies supposed to be good over the last 2 weeks:
1. No country for old men
2. There will be blood
3. Atonement

I accept the movies were very well made but I like No Country the least. Was impressed by Daniel Day-Lewis' acting in Blood

But Atonement really moved and awed me. Looked back at the Oscar Winners and was surprised it really didn't do that well.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
LiamC, David & Margaret liked Iron Man - it must be pretty good to get them both onside. (Non-Oz members should just google the names if they're sufficiently curious).

Chewy, you better get used to 'entertainment at home' - going out will increasingly be a novelty for the next 20 years. It takes quite a while to sink in ... :(