Best movie you've seen

paugie

Storage is cool
All of you should be BSG fans. To that end, I will gladly point you to a high quality direct download of the first three hours of the show.
If I had cable TV (and I'm not really sure if Battlestar Galactica is showing on any one of Filipino cable channels) I prolly would have been watching this from way back.
I will now google this thing to give myself a backgrounder. BTW, I don't remember not liking science fiction, whether in print or in video.
"Are you alive? Prove it" that is so cryptic, I must know why it was said.
What! Only the first three hours?

There goes my plan to start walking for exercise.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Leoben said Adama is a Cylon and if you look back, everything a Leoben has said has eventually come to pass, except the ongoing issue of trying to make a "family" with Starbuck. So there's a credible notion there as well.

Bill or Lee. I thought it would make an interesting twist if Bill was a Cylon, but that would make Lee a half-breed. And we know (or assume) that Hera is the first. Also, any speech about duty etc that a Cylon Admiral Adama would make has already been subverted by some of Tigh's comments when him and the other three revealee's entered that room.

I just read that Sci-Fi have signed up BSG for a full season—my last info was only for a half season—but that it won't air until Jan '08. To quote Swiper the fox (Dora the Explorer—kids!) "Oh man!"

Sol

Storage is cool
Mercutio said:
Not enough people have PM'd me. I am very disappointed in all of you.

I was under the impression that most of the people here who ever watched TV had already seen the first 3 episodes...

Man TV is bleak right now... All the good shows are in remission... Does anyone know of anything airing at the current time that's worth watching... If not I may have to resort to Lost or some similarly desperate option... O perhaps just read a book...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Heroes picks up again in a week or two.
So does the Sopranos.

Recent TV Shows I have enjoyed watching:
Dexter (1 season), Venture Bros. (2 seasons), The Boondocks (1 season), The Wire (4 seasons), Rome (2 Seasons), Big Love (1 Season), The Shield (5 seasons), The Sopranos (6 seasons), Carnivale (2 seasons), Six Feet Under (2 good seasons and then some crap that's still better than nothing), Battlestar Galactica (3 seasons and the mini-series), Heroes (almost 1 season), the IT Crowd (6 episodes with more airing soon, which is some Limey's definition of a season).

I'm told Nip/Tuck is good too, though I haven't gotten around to watching it yet since I know that there will be no nipplitude with the tease-boobies.

Other than Heroes, none of those things is on mainstream network TV, which pretty much says everything about the appeal of network TV these days. Dancing with the Stars and Trading Spaces and Who wants to make a deal and all that other crap are the reason I no longer have cable TV.

Basically, hit a torrent site and download a season of solid entertainment. Or, I don't know, rent the discs someplace. Or ask someone nice, and maybe other arrangements could be made.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
3000 looks likes it has excesssives f violence. IS it gratuitys or overyly disgusting?

Mercutio

300 is very stylized. It's not a slasher movie.

Grindhouse will be out soon and looks like a lot of cheesy fun.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Heroes has definitely been a fun thrill ride so far. One of the very few recent series I'd consider buying on DVD.

Grindhouse looks interesting and would normally even be the kind of movie my wife likes (she likes horror/thrillers more than I do) but she doesn't care for Tarentino.

We're working our way through Firefly right now. Picked it up ages ago and have been too busy to give it a go. Enjoying it so far.

paugie

Storage is cool
I've just come to the realization that those first three hours of BSG was 3 years old.
Oh my, I have a lot of catching up to do. It's 3a.m. here.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
3000 looks likes it has excesssives f violence. IS it gratuitys or overyly disgusting?
If they had been 3000, they would have won.

What's wrong with free violence? I'm poor so I much prefer free violence. Shit, we have to pay for everything in life. For once we have something free, damn, just take it!

And anyway, the violence in 300 wasn't free. I had to pay 10$ to watch it. So at best it can be considered bonus violence.

Mercutio

I found 300 on dailymotion.com about a week ago. I didn't even have to torrent it. :D

Today I watched TMNT the same way.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
If they had been 3000, they would have won.

What's wrong with free violence? I'm poor so I much prefer free violence. Shit, we have to pay for everything in life. For once we have something free, damn, just take it!

And anyway, the violence in 300 wasn't free. I had to pay 10$ to watch it. So at best it can be considered bonus violence.

Sory, should be gratuitous.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!

Violence is the entire point of the movie. Which would be OK if the movie didn't try to take itself so seriously.

Let's hope "The Watchmen" is better executed.

Handruin

Administrator
For as bad as you type, you'd almost have to try to be that bad. :cherry:

Mercutio

Let's hope "The Watchmen" is better executed.

"The Watchmen" will fail as a movie if it is played as anything other than straight, deadly-serious. Rorschach and Veidt in particular are characters that could go down into campy-comic-land and that would be TRAGIC.

Actually I have a real problem with its adaptation as a film because there are HUGE elements of that particular graphic novel that rely on things like the panel structure on the page in storytelling. Plus I don't think the moviegoing public is going to understand the massive deconstruction of golden-age superheroes in the context of a FILM, instead of a comic for comic-readers.

And honestly, not all that much actually HAPPENS in The Watchmen, until the very end of the story. It's fairly low-action for a comic book movie and that won't play in its favor, either.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Sso it is pro-vikolence/warring?
I liked it. Can it be more clear? Yes, there's plenty of blood, severed limbs and other injuries. It is crude, but not brainless (like someone you know well).

And it's not gratuitous violence. It's violence with a meaning behind it. It's pretty clear by the end of the movie. It's no worse than watching a lion choking a zebra by the troath on National Geographic. It is a mean to an end. In 480BC, there wasn't exactly a U.N. concil to moderate conflicts between nations so they had to use other options. Unless you want a pink-tint corruption of the reality of war in the Ancient Greece, violence is something that cannot be avoided.

Wikipeding that particular battle, the small Spartan-led army defeated some 70,000 Persian grunts during the first two days of the battle. Knowing that, I think the movie was relatively soft.

paugie

Storage is cool
It's school graduation time here so I've been quite busy attending to things other people want me to do. like:

creating a backdrop for my wife's pre-school's moving-up day. (we don't own the pre-school, my wife teaches in the church's school ministry)

preparing for graduation day for the training NGO I'm working in.

photographing my nephew's high school graduation (he was valedictorian, congratulations to his father)

some other church-related activities,

wooh! I need to find some time to watch the 1st season episodes of BSG. But my eyes smart and tend to water. I have to remember to blink my eyes. The doctor says when one gets old, the tear ducts start to slow up and the eyes get less lubrication.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
You may want to try some eye-drops Paugie, dunno how expensive they are over there tho.

paugie

Storage is cool
yes, eye drops were prescribed once and they worked. they cleared up the tear ducts and my vision became brighter and the eyes didn't smart anymore. The doctor said "Good". So I thought that was that.
When I heard a friend complaining of the same symptoms, I readily offered the eye drops to her. Bad move.
Nope, I don't wear contacts. They are too expensive here and the pollution makes them deteriorate very quickly.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
O.K. to devolve from the serious, has anyone seen POTC:At Worlds End? What did you think?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
POTC, the third, is comparable to the other two chapters. It's no better, but no worse. There are several clichés, particularly at the end, but most succesful movies have some too. The end, well, I could comment, but that would ruin your experience. There's a small opening for another movie after that one, although I doubt they will make a fourth part.

I enjoyed it more than Spiderman 3. Less than "300" (movie of the year). I won't see Shrek 3.

Sol

Storage is cool
I thought the new POTC was a little mixed in that it has a distinctly non-Disney gritty feel at times (not like really gritty, but compared to most Disney crap), e.g. the movie opens to a mass hanging of disidents, and yet a lot of the fight scenes seems to try to stay very light (more swashbuckling adventure than anything serious). To me that didn't sort of gell that it got sort of serious at times but then went out of the way to avoid getting serious at others.

Mainly though I agree with Coug, no better or worse than it's predecessors.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I thought the new POTC was a little mixed in that it has a distinctly non-Disney gritty feel at times (not like really gritty, but compared to most Disney crap), e.g. the movie opens to a mass hanging of disidents, and yet a lot of the fight scenes seems to try to stay very light (more swashbuckling adventure than anything serious). To me that didn't sort of gell that it got sort of serious at times but then went out of the way to avoid getting serious at others.

Mainly though I agree with Coug, no better or worse than it's predecessors.

I enjoyed it, but not as much as the first two. More action, less comedy I guess. It was long, but I didn't find myself sitting there going "When is this going to end?", like I did in Face Off. I will say that the SFX were absolutely top-notch. Better than just about anything I've so far seen–and way better than those SFX abominations U-571 and Die Another Day.

3 and a half stars...

POTC: 4 anyone ? Given the success of the three, I wonder how long before we see more/grittier pirate movies?

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Saw Blood Diamond on DVD. Much better than I expected. My wife was put off somewhat by the violence (it was her choice of movie), but thought it was good too. Leonardo's Zimbabwean accent was a bit fake, but it was much better than movies where the lead doesn't even attempt an accent...

My wife picked the guy who played the mummy in "The Mummy" before I did (Andrew Vosloo). I like that movie, my wife hates it.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Heh, I remember the Disneyland ride in the late 60s. It was an E ticket. :)

Sol

Storage is cool
All through the Pirates of the Caribbean movies I was thinking that Lucas film need to make a Monkey Island movie... I mean the Pirates were pretty good for 3 movies based on a lame ride, a Monkey Island film could be great if it was done well...

LOST6200

Storage is cool
never Haerd of that one. I was a hardworker in that year and no time or interets for any computer tehnology. Anyway, so many comic books etc are redone as mobvies now and quite poor for the most parts. :(