Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I thought the clipto thingie was removed long ago. Is Office 2010 the first version without it?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's a joke that's part of the movie.

Basically, they got the guy who does stuff like Hunt for Red October and Independence Day to make a long commercial for Office 2010.

And the funny thing is, it's actually funny and compelling. There are motorcycle chases and explosions and gleaming cityscapes and fighter jet flyovers of skyscrapers. If there were a 90 minute movie of that, I think I might actually watch it.

Anyway, Clippy being dead cryptically relates to the plot of the pretend movie, which appears to relate to recovering a font that somehow controls people's minds.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just lost the motherboard on my wife's desktop/our file server. An XFX i780 from several years ago. Hangs on post code 25 even after BIOS reset, RAM change, GPU change, etc. Ordering up a Intel BOXDP45SG and CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX (just in case) to replace it. This machine is our primary file server and HT machine as well as her primary computer, and should have been proactively replaced some time ago.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
4wk total walking exercise... 110mi. @end of 2nd wk and most miles/wk, I had *gained*, up to 212lbs, most I've ever weighed! End of 3rd wk, only 20mi for 85mi total, but droped a few pounds it seems. End of 4th wk, today, seems I dropped a few more...but I haven't gotten into the quart of Tahitian vanilla gelato I bought yesterday :D. Nor the the TJ's Pesto Pizza (haven't had one in 10days, really tough to resist).

We'll see if I get any benefit, if I can keep this up 100mi/mo. for another month, and continue for the rest of the year. Right now, my legs are sore (muscles), but not too bad considering at times my joints were killing me, had to stop for several days for the aches/inflammation to rescind, had major pain in my right toe joint---still do with every walk that varies from moment to moment, some kind of arthritic like swelling. Hamstring pain, calf pain from tight muscles/tendons has been bothering me regularly? Tried to do stretching while walking and afterwords in the shower, but did not seem to alleviate much of the pain I'm getting while walking.

I don't seem to be building much conditioning as of yet, given how sore my muscles and joints are getting. But heh, if I keep this up by next year I will be a pr9nstar, and won't need any of those 3r3cktil3 8ysfunctio8 drugs :D ...assuming my joints and muscles don't quit before then "(

Exercise is a world of hurt for me currently. Also have almost completely worn the sole lugs off of my cheapo LLBean, light weight hiking boots. Man those suckers aren't much good 4 >300mi. Going to have to buy a pair $$$ of better hiking boots, with stiffer soles and uppers, with greater endurance/abrasion resistance. Could use a pair of legs with greater endurance too... lol.

LunarMist

Just lost the motherboard on my wife's desktop/our file server. An XFX i780 from several years ago. Hangs on post code 25 even after BIOS reset, RAM change, GPU change, etc. Ordering up a Intel BOXDP45SG and CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX (just in case) to replace it. This machine is our primary file server and HT machine as well as her primary computer, and should have been proactively replaced some time ago.

How old is that one? I did not know that functional systems should be replaced regularly. Usually my systems become obsolete first. I have had some failed motherboards, but I assumed that was because they were consumer types.

ddrueding

Fixture
How old is that one? I did not know that functional systems should be replaced regularly. Usually my systems become obsolete first. I have had some failed motherboards, but I assumed that was because they were consumer types.

Typically I don't bother, but but this one should be an exception. All the other bits had been replaced several times, but the Mobo, CPU and PSU were still originals...perhaps 3 years old?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
My previous system ran flawlessly for 5 years and is still sitting around, booting up readily when I want it to. It used to be on 14x7.

I built my current system in 2006, but it hasn't seen much use.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Hmm, honestly haven't tried to have a long lasting system. Right around 2 or less I am replacing the core components like mobo,cpu,video card anyway. I used to have a home file server here that got all the secondary parts and then things might go the four year range then it goes to ebay or donations to others. My old P4 3.0c / Supermicro P4SCT /4g of generic memory is in a friends computer now, must be close to five years old. My parents have something I built them closer to five years ago based on a P4 2.4 I think it was, both are pre prescot chips I remember.

My worst luck seems to be with fans every six months or so and then I guess at a very distant second and third are optical drive and power supply.

My floppy drive has to be ten years old though!

ddrueding

Fixture

While I was at it I got an E8400 and an HD4350...should be snappier than the Q6600 that was in it before for desktop use (2 cores instead of 4, but 3GHz instead of 2.4).

Mercutio

The Q6600 should not have had a problem being 3GHz, either.

I got my new glasses from Hong Kong today. They came overnight from Hong Kong and the box has US and Chinese customs stickers all over it.

For what it's worth, I'm very happy with my internet glasses.

ddrueding

Fixture
The Q6600 should not have had a problem being 3GHz, either.

It was running over 3GHz when it was my toy machine, but now it is in the most mission-critical machine in the house.

That new s775 motherboard uses DDR3, which I hadn't noticed. Sucks. And the onboard RAID controller doesn't recognize my RAID array from the other motherboard (RAID-0 of 4 2TB WDs...:thumbright:) so I'll be restoring that from my backup array at work (10 750GB Seagates in RAID-6).

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I moved last weekend, and due to the help of my 17mth old, still haven't unpacked most things, including my home PC... nor setup my home DSL connection, which is active according to my ISP for the last week.

But my son does like the new larger back yard and his new play set. (Swing, slide and trampoline).

And my wife loves the new place.

LunarMist

Why does a website with a perfectly useable and efficient design, change it all around every few years. I can't find anything. :tdown:

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
It is a disease - change for change's sake. Perfectly good designs have changed every year or couple of years - techweb, computerworld, news.com, etc.

The only site I think that has improved in usability with changes is the eggy one.

Handruin

Administrator
I went to the dark side yesterday and bought a new iPhone 3gs. My previous phone died while I was hiking and I could no longer make usable phone calls because it kept muting the person I was talking to. So far i really like it and I'm able to use SF with it fairly well.

Handruin

Administrator
No, I'm a new AT&T customer so i was able to get the cheaper price on the phone. I've wanted an iPhone for a while. I learned that buying the iPhone from the AT&T store is cheaper than the Apple store because the Apple store charges tax on the full non-discounted price of $600 even though I would pay the $200. I mentioned this to the AT&T guy and he doesn't understand why they charge the full tax.

I looked at the Pre for a bit but the hardware felt like it was lacking quality and I didn't want to switch to Sprint. I've not heard of the snapdragon but I really couldn't wait for it anyway because I broke my previous phone and needed a new one.

Mercutio

Hey Merc, are you attending Comic-Con this year?

The one in San Diego is too much of a clusterfuck to want to bother.

The convention I used to go to was Wizard World Chicago, but the business that runs that con is so clueless I have no plans to go again.

The last year I went they devoted 1/8th of the floor space to Ultimate Fighting. This year none of Marvel, DC, Dark Horse or Image comics (the four largest comic book companies) plan to have a booth in Chicago.

A woman I know on another forum is telling me that she met her husband at a comic convention and they're great places to meet people. Which is probably true when you're skinny and blond and have big boobs. In all the years I went I don't ever remember talking to any other fans.

LunarMist

I don't know anything about that scene, but it seemed to be up your alley.

A woman I know on another forum is telling me that she met her husband at a comic convention and they're great places to meet people. Which is probably true when you're skinny and blond and have big boobs.

A lot of people on the internet claim to be "skinny and blond and have big boobs," until you meet them in person. :eek:

Mercutio

Probably a prerequisite to anything else.

I'm sure it is, but there's nothing about a comic convention that's set up to enable discussions between people while the con is taking place.

Also, the only girls at a comic convention are either there with their boyfriends or they're like 12 years old and looking for the anime section.

LunarMist

I visited the Youtubes site once. The comments posted below the video box were truly horrifying. :pale:

LunarMist

Would you believe it if one of your employees claimed that their Blackberry fell in the toilet, forcing abandonment? Doesn't that sound suspicious? Hmmmmm.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Would you believe it if one of your employees claimed that their Blackberry fell in the toilet, forcing abandonment? Doesn't that sound suspicious? Hmmmmm.

I know someone who has dropped a cell phone in the toilet. I think she fished it out though.

ddrueding

Fixture

I've done that once personally, and had it happen twice to people in the company. Once they presented the non-functional phone, the other time they asked me to take their word for it.

Just be sure to inform your account manager to mark that phone in case someone tries to reactivate it.