Something Random

Handruin

Administrator
I ordered a shelf plate for my small network rack. The rack comes with a bag of screws to mount it. What the hell is this doing in there?

Stereodude

Not really a
I saw Tron: Legacy last night in 3D at the IMAX (a real IMAX, not a faux-MAX). It was the first 3D movie I've seen. The visuals and 3D effects were very impressive.

Handruin

Administrator
I saw Tron: Legacy last night in 3D at the IMAX (a real IMAX, not a faux-MAX). It was the first 3D movie I've seen. The visuals and 3D effects were very impressive.

I felt like I would have enjoyed that movie a bit more without 3D. I had a headache after seeing the movie and through the next day. It may or may not have been related...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I felt like I would have enjoyed that movie a bit more without 3D. I had a headache after seeing the movie and through the next day. It may or may not have been related...

At least 90% of the time, 3D is a gimmick, but I've seen it both ways and I have to say that Tron is a movie where the 3D does enrich the experience.

I hate the glasses and the way that color gets washed out in a 3D presentation, though.

Mercutio

I didn't really notice any affect on the colors with the 3D glasses at the IMAX. :scratch: The colors were very vibrant.

It's a persistent drawback of 3D, at least in every presentation I've seen that way. I don't think I could quantify it, but it's very obvious to me.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My problem is that the eyes/brain are not equally balanced. My left eye is super dominant even though the right is optically a bit better. Colors never look right and I get a headache/sickening feeling after a while. I did not see the hugo IMAX 3D, just the basic one.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Wow, looking for some Tullamore and found that the state liquor store here has an online searchable inventory that even shows inbound on order:

http://www.nh.gov/liquor/index.shtml

That was not something I was expecting for a state run service.

LunarMist

Local alcohol regulations are just crazy in the US. There are so many different rules. :spin:

Mercutio

I really, really hate, nay, despise the way that every gathering of adults I have been to in the last three years or so turns into a discussion about what other presumably adult persons do with their time on Facebook.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I really, really hate, nay, despise the way that every gathering of adults I have been to in the last three years or so turns into a discussion about what other presumably adult persons do with their time on Facebook.

Ha, I don't blame you. Keep trying though, people talk about what they have in common. Last weekend I went to a poker game and a philosophy discussion broke out.

Handruin

Administrator

You're hanging around the wrong gathering of adults. :)

LunarMist

WTF is all this cloud business, something real from MS or just BS? :idea:

ddrueding

Fixture
BS. And it isn't specifically MS. My Oracle/Sun rep called today to offer training on cloud-something. Normally I'm not so short with him.

Mercutio

You're hanging around the wrong gathering of adults. :)

Probably. But I've seen it with my co-workers, my relatives and the group of gay chicks I occasionally spend time with. On another forum I belong to, there's actually three levels of meta-commentary going on, since there's the forum, members who are friends on facebook and talk to each other, private google groups that talk about the forum and private google groups that talk about what forum members do on facebook.

Apparently there really are people who think that Facebook is a generic replacement for the entire rest of the internet. There was some asshat suggestion on Slashdot yesterday that a Facebook login could be used as a single-sign on for other internet services and/or be used as a "driver's license for the internet."

Fuck Facebook.

In other news, Amazon pays for return shipping if you need to RMA a product within 60 days of purchase. Sweet.

Handruin

Administrator
Why does this upset you so greatly? Just let facebook run its course over the next couple of years and it'll be done with and something else will take its place. People I hang out with and am friends with reference facebook also from time to time. It doesn't dominate any of the conversation or relationships. It's certainly not worth fighting or getting so upset over. I spend more time referencing funny shit from reddit than anything else.

Not only will Amazon pay for return shipping on an RMA, they'll do it more than once for the same defective product.

Handruin

Administrator
It is in some cases for the adults I don't see on a regular basis due to distance or busy schedules. It might be the only form of keeping up with them which would of not otherwise happened. My point was that for the friends I see on a semi-regular basis, facebook does not dominate the conversation in real life. It's still not worth getting upset over.

Mercutio

It is worth getting upset over at the point that someone tells you that you HAVE to have a facebook account to interact with them. The dickheads at Blizzard were talking about requiring users to link forum posts to a facebook account, for example, and I've actually heard this sentence out of an actual human being's mouth: "Oh. I don't look at my email any more. I just check my wall."

Handruin

Administrator
It is worth getting upset over at the point that someone tells you that you HAVE to have a facebook account to interact with them. The dickheads at Blizzard were talking about requiring users to link forum posts to a facebook account, for example, and I've actually heard this sentence out of an actual human being's mouth: "Oh. I don't look at my email any more. I just check my wall."

Blizzard tried doing that whole real ID account thing not too long ago. That wasn't well-received. This might be their plan B attempt at linking real people data. I would no longer use their products if I was required to do that.

Who cares if someone doesn't want to check their email anymore and relies on facebook for their life interaction? That works for them. That doesn't work for you or I. You've always complained in the past of people who use txt messages vs writing an email. I don't agree with that in all cases, but you were adamant that txting was pointless to have. It's just another form of communicating, but hardly worth getting that bent out of shape over. You don't have to like it, but why stress yourself so greatly over it?

Mercutio

Text messages cost money to send and receive. They're very limited in terms of what they can express and they're tied to telephone and the highly uncertain states that go along with them (Is it on? Is it in service? Is the recipient looking for a text message?). There's no reason for anyone who has access to E-mail to use them.

Same thing with facebook: here's an exclusionary, private service which leaks personal information like a sieve, that people want to use to replace essentially every other form of communication because they can't be bothered to use anything else. I'm not willing to participate in that and it pisses me off that anyone else would either.