Beverages

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Dammit, I can relax this evening, and I'm enjoying a Taylors 2007 Shiraz Cabernet (about AUS$14/bottle) right now. It went pretty well with the Spaghetti Puttanesca I cooked for the SO and I.

Taylors make reasonable honest wines, but I think this one is very good for the price. When the kids are in bed, I'm going to kick back with a glass of Balvenie Double Wood.

fb

Storage is cool
I'm alone tonight for the first time for 2 years or so, the girlfriend is out with her friends and the son is sleeping at the grandmothers house, I think I'll have to celebrate it with a dram of the Ardbeg.

Slàinthe!

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I was goin to say 30+ % would be like a loaded gun to the young kids here in the US that drink a slab of piss water at 4%, they just can't handle themswelves, I blame the 21 drinking age. Tho at $50+ a bottle I don't think anyone is going to accidentally drink one. Plus it looks like a rare drop to get a hold of.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm having a German evening. I'm listening to Rammstein while drinking my favorite beer of late : the Köstritzer Schwarzbier (warning : they use flash extensively). I used to prefer the Guiness, but I changed my taste when I tasted this one.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I was almost killed near Ramstein once due to the weird cloud formations.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
opened a bottle of Glenlivet 12yo the other night and boy was I impressed. Smooth...

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
opened a bottle of Glenlivet 12yo the other night and boy was I impressed. Smooth...

Thanks, ill put it on the list. State online inventory check says in stock near me.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've decided to start learning Scotch (about, and how to appreciate). I've done a couple bottles of Black Label (12yr), a Glenlivet 12, Glenfiddich 12, and a bottle of Green Label (15yr). Just picked up a few more Single-Malts in the 12-15 year category, but so far my favorite by far is the Green, followed by the Black.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I like Black Label. I'm not a connoisseur by any means, but I've tried various Bourbons and Scotches (blended and single malt) and I always seem to return to Black Label.

My friend has given me a couple glasses of various Islay whisky, it was terrible.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
timwhit, are you aware that the brewery that makes your 312 Ale recently got sold to one of the huge domestic breweries?

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I like Black Label. I'm not a connoisseur by any means, but I've tried various Bourbons and Scotches (blended and single malt) and I always seem to return to Black Label.

My friend has given me a couple glasses of various Islay whisky, it was terrible.

Islay malts use blunt razors to slash open you neck so they can sh!t down your neck, whilst smoking a Cuban. That, or perhaps my taste buds haven't (d)evolved enough to appreciate them.

ddrueding

Fixture
Indeed. The only people I know who like Islay Malts are those who smoke heavily. Considering my favorite alcohol is Vodka (pretty much the other end of the spectrum) with the heaviest thing I enjoy being Tequila, going to the heaviest of the heavies (Islay Malts) seems unnecessarily cruel.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Heavy smokers? Razor blades? Steady on, some of us have stopped drinking milk, you know.

For me the smoky flavour of peat is what defines Scotch Whisky, and the Islay malts are the main source. Add a hint of salt and iodine and you have a uniquely complex taste experience, exemplified by Lagavulin, my personal favourite.

Of course, it's not something I'd drink in quantity, or even every day (can't afford it, apart from anything else). For that, you need a Speyside malt. I used to drink The Glenlivet 12yr old, but found I got almost as much enjoyment from the younger and far more obscure Glen Moray (available in Australia from Dan Murphy's liquor stores).

If you want a more delicate flavour, try Highland malts. Nothing I've ever encountered is as exquisite as Dalwhinnie, although it's not cheap and a very long time since I've had any.

If you aren't after a distinctive taste, my advice is to stick with the best blends, which would be Chivas Regal and JW Black.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I like a lot of distinctive flavors including nice cigars but something that has the aftertaste of licking a wet log is not one of them. My introduction was by way of Laphroaig.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
ADDING ICE (from www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk)
Adding ice to your favourite single malt Scotch whisky is such a shame. Putting ice in your whisky will only reduce the temperature of the whisky, freezing its aroma and the smell, and will only dull the taste of the whisky. Many people do add ice, if you are one of them why not try it without, we assure you it will be like drinking a different whisky.

Some people add a little water (not tap), but I much prefer mine neat.

And I don't smoke, BTW. :p

ddrueding

Fixture
I actually use the sandstone rocks to keep it cool. Adding ice is good if it tastes nasty, which some do, but then I just drink something better.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I must be one of the few here to feel that hard liquor is just awful. :( It's like poisoning the body with high concentrations of alcohol and other noxious chemicals. I can understand that alcoholics like it, but why people voluntarily drink that vile, high-proof stuff is beyond me.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't care for either. I'm not against drinking, I just don't enjoy the experience.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
You'll find it in the nicer grocery stores and other hippy food centers. :)

I'm willing to try anything once and it takes some of the pressure off when you know that it wont kill you even if it does taste strange. I'm sure you've had worse overseas. :)

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Sheesh, I must not have realized there was a whole page of posts after Liam's Glenlivet 12yo.

Time, my favorite smoky flavor is Macallan. Regarding ice, I've read and experienced the opposite of what you claim; chilled whisky releases the fragrances and subtle flavors better.

I started off with blends - JW Black and JW Blue, but much prefer single malts now.

I guess to each his own.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I attempted to drink JW Black neat last night, however it was a little strong. I added a little bit of water and it was much better.