Beverages

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I was being sarcastic because of some of the previous posts in the thread.

Sandstone or ice = heresy if we're talking about whisky. You might just as well mix it with Fanta.

I like it cold, as it is more refreshing. If you're going to add water you may as well add ice.

Adding ice to your favourite single malt Scotch whisky is such a shame. Putting ice in your whisky will only reduce the temperature of the whisky, freezing its aroma and the smell, and will only dull the taste of the whisky. Many people do add ice, if you are one of them why not try it without, we assure you it will be like drinking a different whisky.

ddrueding

Fixture
I was being sarcastic because of some of the previous posts in the thread.

I gathered. At one point I was putting a lot of time and effort into knowing red wine, particularly Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. One day I was at my favorite vineyards tasting room, when I confessed to the owner that his cheapest Cab was my favorite. He actually agreed with me, and told me that it is more important to know what you like and why than to know what is most expensive and why. He also said the greatest skill is knowing a cheap wine that you like.

Interesting TED talk on something similar.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Tried some Thai beer, Chang, because it was on special.

There's a reason it's on special: it tastes like pond slime.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm thinking some backwash when siphoning/draining a pond. Worse than the taste of a dirty swimming pool.

LostSpace

What is this storage?
My personal favorite drink is a white russian. Nothing like coming home from working, putting my feet up and drinking a white russian, that is the perfect way to end a day/.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
One bottle of Vodka mixed with one bottle of Tipp-Ex? I like it too.

Ha! I see that is like what we used as Liquid Paper. The kind they sold in glass bottles in 1970 was really good stuff, then they ruined it later on by changing to a reduced toxicity solvent.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, it's the night before Easter, and Greg doesn't have work tomorrow. Went shopping, bought a 1/2 pound of Goose pate, expecting the cat to eat half. She only had a bite.
I'm eating that with 2008 Mt. Eden Estate Pinot Noir, still my favorite Pinot Noir, after 30 years. It's from Saratoga, David, so local, and excellent. Seems Bevmo has it for 20-28 dollars.

Also went out looking for China. Ended up finding Marquis Waterford Champagne glasses, that just happen to match my Waterford Burgundy glasses. Since you can't drink, soda out of Waterford Champagne glasses, I picked up a bottle of Jordan J, sparkling wine from California. I was lucky enough to visit the winery in 1975, prior to their opening, and, have a wonderful lunch there. There 1975 Cabernet, released under the Roundhill label, for about 1.20 cents a bottle, when you buy over 200 cases, remains only matched by a friends 100 or so case buy of slightly damage Le Flaive
Batard- Montrachet, at .44 cents a bottle.

First real splurge in awhile. Loving the nearly perfect Mt. Eden Pinot, and, while high in acid, the Jordan is a nice, light sparkling wine that I always correctly thought was over priced, unless bought on sale, like 33% off.

Happy Easter.

LunarMist

Too many stores are closed tomorrow, including the liquor stores I presume. I need to at least go out and forage for food.

LunarMist

Yes, I've eaten supper on some Christmasss at a Chinese food restaurant.

I'm not going to restaurants except when necessary. I'm not supposed to eat practically anything that I would want to eat anyway.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
While I'm nowhere near being able to do it, I wondered what kind of beer I would drink with you lads if I ever realize my long-planned trip to Australia. I don't even remember what a Carlsberg tastes like. You certainly have better stuff down there?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
While I'm nowhere near being able to do it, I wondered what kind of beer I would drink with you lads if I ever realize my long-planned trip to Australia. I don't even remember what a Carlsberg tastes like. You certainly have better stuff down there?

Depends on your taste, do you prefer a bitter, a stout or a lager? (My personal preference is Crown Lager).

Some of the better beers are from boutique breweries, and an especially nice one is beez neez.

PS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Australia

time

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
I don't even remember what a Carlsberg tastes like.
Neither do I - when you buy that brand here you're buying some locally brewed muck with a Carlsberg brand stuck on it. Same goes for Heineken (who cares), Stella Artois (this pisses me off) and Kronenbourg (sob).

No, we don't have better stuff down here, or at least, not from our foreign-owned brewing duopoly that mainly produces swill.

Foster's Lager isn't very popular here, BTW, but it's quite unlikeable anyway (kind of sweet).
Victoria Bitter used to be the most popular beer in the country, but it's pretty terrible.
XXXX is big only in the state of Queensland and also pretty terrible. On a hot day, the Draft version is maybe not quite so bad.
Tooheys New is probably the most tolerable of the mass-produced beers, but I hate paying for it.
Crown Lager is the flagship beer of Foster's Brewing but for me is probably the minimum standard.
Hahn Premium is the equivalent from the other large brewer. My gripe is that it's a very poor descendant of the fabulous original product from when the Hahn Brewery was an independent company.
The duopoly also took over the Cascade Brewery and Boag's Brewery. I would not be embarrassed to offer a visitor James Boag's Premium Lager or Cascade Premium Lager as an example of Australian beer, particularly Cascade which has a unique hint of apple flavor.

There is one remaining independent large brewer - Coopers - but they seem to have struggled to move beyond their traditional offerings, which are frankly a bit primitive. Nonetheless, their Sparkling Ale is often my first on-tap choice in a pub. I also enjoy their rather bitter Pale Ale (complete with sediment) when it's ice-cold, but only in modest quantities. Considerably more upscale is Coopers Extra Strong Vintage Ale (7.5%) which is meant to be aged; it's very good indeed and I used to buy heaps of it years ago. But their best beer is actually a stout: Coopers Best Extra Stout (6.3%), which I once had every day.

After that it's over to the so-called microbreweries (or boutique brewers) who offer vastly more choice and often a superior product, but at a higher price and with less widespread availability. Two of the more successful ones (and now both owned by the duopoly) are Matilda Bay and Malt Shovel. The former makes Beez Neez (a bit sweet for me I'm afraid, Chewy), as well as Fat Yak (a triple-hopped full-bodied beer that I think is terrific) and Big Helga (a clean, Munich-style lager that is my eldest daughter's favorite). The former Hahn brewery I mentioned earlier was renamed to the Malt Shovel Brewery and it produces some very good beer under the James Squire brand, such as The Chancer Golden Ale and Four Wives Pilsener.

Little Creatures is a still independent microbrewery that produces a couple of excellent products. There are others, but they're probably just too exotic for anyone to find. My current favorites are Blue Sky Pilsner (from Cairns) and Lord Nelson Brewery Three Sheets (from Sydney).

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Australian and Pilsner. I'm thinking oxymoron. My favourite pilsner was Schwelmer Pils (which I believe is German). Dan Murphy's used to stock it but no longer. Most Australian pilsners taste too "lagerish" compared to Pils. Tried Cooper's 62 pilsner and wasn't impressed at all. But I agree with time that their Pale Ale is pretty good.

And speaking of "no longer available", I miss Labatt Blue, which Coug will chime in and say tastes like dog p!$$ and no self respecting citizen of the north would be caught dead drinking...
:-D

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Labatt Bleu is not a bad beer. Among the big label beers around here, it's actually one of the good ones. I prefer the Labatt 50 from the same company. But I don't drink much of the big label beers. The Rickard's Dark is a good local beer, just like the Boréale Noire. My favorite beer is a German one : the Kostritzer. I mentioned it earlier in this thread.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have been informed that grown-ass men who receive lady callers need to have booze in their apartments.
So what goes in a basic bar setup?

ddrueding

Fixture
I have been informed that grown-ass men who receive lady callers need to have booze in their apartments.
So what goes in a basic bar setup?

It depends on how you want to go. The good news is that most of it never goes bad (and in fact may get better). Since you won't be consuming it regularly, you may as well get good stuff and represent a solid collection.

Wine:
Cabernet Sauvignon (red)
Chardonnay (white)

Beer:
Ask someone else, but something...

Liquor:
Vodka (Belvadere is my favorite)
Gin (Tanqueray Ten)
Rum (Bacardi, gold or white...doesn't really matter)

Mixers:
Coke, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club Soda

Honestly, just having some wine and beer on hand would be enough, but I suspect you take this kind of thing with a degree of seriousness and like to do things right.

ddrueding

Fixture
If you really want to show sophistication, and happen to find the right girl, I just started a bottle of Macallan 15yr that is excellent. Every girl I know who knows Single Malts has been worth knowing.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've only ever seen her drink vodka and fruit juice. She distinctly wanted something on Saturday and there was nothing to be had. Strippers be thirsty, yo.

On another level, it comes up a few times a year for me that somebody wants a drink and I never have anything to offer.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't give beer to a woman or she'll spend more time peeing than talking to you.

LOL! True, very true.

Most women that I know that drink beer, prefer a 'lite' beer. Vodka and tonic seems like a popular drink also.

When your my age its prune juice or Gerital. :tgif:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Most women that I know that drink beer, prefer a 'lite' beer. Vodka and tonic seems like a popular drink also.

I know quite a few women, including my wife, that like wheat beers. I'm sure you can get 312 (see my avatar), or any number of Belgian White/Wit beers.

ddrueding

Fixture
Vodka and Tonic is excellent, Vodka and fruit juice is fine. Vodka and Red Bull should be considered highly destructive (worse than many controlled substances) and should not be stocked at the same time.