Beverages

fb

Storage is cool
I fell in love with Laphroaig when I took my first sip, perhaps Merc will love it too? I haven't tried the 30 YO myself. But it's considered to be very good, and a 30 year old whisky is always special.

Remember not to use ice or anything else to cool the whisky, it numbs the taste buds and destroys the taste.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Merc abstains from alcohol and does not know anyone who would appreciate fine scotch. I am not sure it's legal for me to sell it. I have a very expensive paperweigh

Maybe I can trade it for ham.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
And I'll give you an enormous ham for it.

This may actually happen. I'm kind of asking people I know if they know any actual scotch drinkers and so far the answers have been like "Well I saw my third cousin ask for a shot of whiskey at a wedding one time..."

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Merc! I'd take it off your hands if I was anywhere near! That stuff has high value; don't trade it for peanuts.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Isn't peak like a kind-of coal? Why would you make a drink from coal?

Scotch whisky is not directly made from peat. Scotch is made from malted barley. However, the malting process may include the use of peat.

Dried barley is steeped in water to start the sprouting process. When the moisture content of the barley reaches a set limit, it is drained and spread out on a germination floor for drying. During the final part of this drying process, some form of heat is used. This can be a fire (oasting fireplace) made of dried peat. The heat from the fire drys the barley, and the smoke from the fire infuses the grain with the smokey, peat, taste. This is how the smokey/peat taste is passed into Scotch.

Technically, anything could be burned and the subsequent smoke used to impart some type of flavor in the barley. If the scent of burning bacon smelled good, we could use that to create a pork flavored whiskey.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Hey, Bartender, long time no see! Hope everything's well with you and yours.

DD, I love Macallan 15 too. It's in the top few of my favorites.

fb

Storage is cool
Highland Park 12... the first whisky I ever bought... The memories. :O) I like it a lot, but it's a small step up in price to the 15 and 18 here, so I usually go with the 18 when I buy Highland Park. (Usually in this case means about one bottle every two years.)

A whisky I would like to try is The Organic from Bruichladdich. It needs to be ordered and I haven't put in the effort yet.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Was given a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 y.o. for a gift and I like it a lot. Pity you can't use scotch in inkjet printers 'cause it'd be cheaper...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I've always had a soft spot for Dalwhinnie - a 1 liter bottle was my last 'duty-free' purchase.

It used to be popular in desserts or in coffee, thanks to its smooth (for Scotch whisky) nature. If you're not really into peat, this is probably the ultimate highland whisky.

Cheers, LiamC!

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Last night I cracked open a 60yr old bottle of Smirnoff Vodka and had a few shots... (short story was, I was going through my liquor store for another bottle of Wild Turkey, and upon urging of my wife decided to sample one of the old bottles. My grandfather purchased these bottles just after my mum was born 60yr ago, primarily for the Christening, but some bottles were never opened. I inherited them upon my grandmother passing a few years ago).

All I can say is, no-one makes vodka today like I had last night. Super smooth, full flavour, satisfyingly warmed the gullet, with zero after taste or longing effects (other than feeling the effects of being mildly intoxicated).

ddrueding

Fixture
I've always enjoyed bottles that have sat on the shelf forever. My first roommate was from a fairly well off family on the East Coast. His (awesome) grandmother lived in Greatneck, NY and was known to handle the estate sales of her neighbors. When she cleared out their bars, any open bottles were boxed up and shipped to us. We had the best-stocked bar of any 17 year old kids I knew. Shame I didn't have a taste for single-malt yet. The tequilas seemed to benefit the most from sitting in a bottle for decades.

ddrueding

Fixture
Running low on just about everything, so placed an order online:

Lagavulin Scotch 16
Oban Scotch 14
Macallan Scotch 12
Macallan Scotch 18
Glenfiddich Scotch 18 Year Ancient Reserve
Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength

sedrosken

Florida Man
Jeez, not only do you guys have godly machines but you also have booze "collections"?

I give up, I can't compete and probably will never be able to.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
It is much too early in your life to be able to tell wether you'll be able to "compete" or not. Maybe you'll always be piss poor, but maybe you'll get a decent job and climb from there. Give it time. For now, focus on developping your skills, do well at school and try to develop a personality that doesn't annoy people around you. Read on how to introduce yourself and about the attitude to adopt to look like a professional to the eyes of others. Also, if you're fat, get fit. Not nécessarily Marvel's hero fit, just generally fit. It's much easier at your age than it will be after 30 years old. As a bonus, maybe you'll still be able to nail a stripper half your age when you'll reach your middle-life crisis, something that is sure not to happen if you weight above 300lbs.

Beside, alcohol drinks collection isn't a competition.

ddrueding

Fixture
After you start making decent money (and you seem to at least care about learning and being self-sufficient, so you have a leg-up on most already). It will still be many years before disposable income really appears. First you have to accumulate stuff (furniture, cars, cookware, etc). Once you have gotten far enough ahead on those fronts that the occasional paycheck is left untouched, then a hobby of single-malt scotch becomes appealing ;)

FWIW: Of those the Oban wins (just) over the Macallan 12. Lagavulin must be for smokers who have killed their ability to taste.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
A couple of SMs I had sometime in the past (I don't remember the names) tasted like iodine. Yech. With some of them, I guess it is an acquired taste.

Amrut Fusion won the 2nd best SM in the world award a few times and is produced by a local brewery. No supplies locally for many years since all production was exported, but availability is somewhat better now. Bought a bottle a few months ago for a party we held, and one guy was under medical advice not to touch the stuff, and the other said it was too strong and opted for the GlenMorangie 12 yr that I also happened to have. Greedy pig that I am, enjoyed the Fusion all by myself. Need to hunt down another bottle.

I believe it is 12 yr, and is priced ~ USD45. Personally I prefer the Fusion to the GlenMorangie 12, or GlenFiddich 12 or GlenLivet 12.

There is another version of Amrut without the "Fusion" which is crap.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
After you start making decent money (and you seem to at least care about learning and being self-sufficient, so you have a leg-up on most already). It will still be many years before disposable income really appears. First you have to accumulate stuff (furniture, cars, cookware, etc). Once you have gotten far enough ahead on those fronts that the occasional paycheck is left untouched, then a hobby of single-malt scotch becomes appealing ;)

FWIW: Of those the Oban wins (just) over the Macallan 12. Lagavulin must be for smokers who have killed their ability to taste.

Income is not the issue. They'd have to pay me to drink that turpentine.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
My whiskey of choice right now is Four Roses Single Barrel. I have a bottle I got at the distillery that is picked by their chief distiller. I have a couple other yeast/rye mixes. All of them are excellent.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Specialty bottles recently served and enjoyed:

Four Roses Secretariat - Bourbon
Four Roses 2013 Single Barrel - Bourbon
George T. Stagg 2013 - Bourbon
Stagg Jr. - Bourbon

Thomas H. Handy - Rye Whiskey

Ron Abuelo Centuria

Bombay Sapphire East - Gin
Fifty Pounds - Gin
Uncle Val's Botanical Gin

MacAllan 12 Sherry Cask (Stored in bottle for nearly 20 years) - Scotch

Pierre Ferrand Abel - Cognac
Pierre Ferrand Reserve - Cognac

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
I've not found the Abel, but the Reserve cost ~106$ here. It's probably significantly more expensive than what you pay in your area. Booze isn't cheap here.

In New York City, Astor Wines carries Pierre Ferrand Reserve for $65.99 and Beacon Wine & Spirits carries Pierre Ferrand Abel for $379.99.
Astor Wines has Ron Abuelo Centuria dark-rum from Panama for $129.99.

This is normal pricing for these items in the US.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Pierre Ferrand Abel is 45 years old and $400 a bottle. It's not cheap anywhere, although it's a little more affordable in its home country.

Rum and whiskey makes for an interesting cocktail. If you're CougTek.

Good to see you again Bartender, and good to see your tastes haven't deteriorated. ;) I estimate that if this trend continues, by 2020 you'll be posting every 1.3 seconds.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
A couple of SMs I had sometime in the past (I don't remember the names) tasted like iodine. Yech. With some of them, I guess it is an acquired taste.

Amrut Fusion won the 2nd best SM in the world award a few times and is produced by a local brewery. No supplies locally for many years since all production was exported, but availability is somewhat better now. Bought a bottle a few months ago for a party we held, and one guy was under medical advice not to touch the stuff, and the other said it was too strong and opted for the GlenMorangie 12 yr that I also happened to have. Greedy pig that I am, enjoyed the Fusion all by myself. Need to hunt down another bottle.

I believe it is 12 yr, and is priced ~ USD45. Personally I prefer the Fusion to the GlenMorangie 12, or GlenFiddich 12 or GlenLivet 12.

There is another version of Amrut without the "Fusion" which is crap.

Mubs,

The Amrut Indian Single Malt Whisky is their normal SMW, while the Fusion is a peated SMW (I believe they import their peat from Scotland). Both are aged the same, literally about 4 years. However, because of the climate in Bangalore, those 4 years are equivalent to 12 years in Scotland. The barrel evaporation in Scotland is about 2% a year, while in Bangalore it is closer to 12% because of the dry season. They also make a SMW blended with alcohol distilled from sugar cane or molasses. I'd avoid that. I am not sure if you are near Mumbai or Bangalore, but you'd have a better chance of finding it in Bangalore (or somewhere in Karnataka).

Bartender