Beverages

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
What I came up with as "basic bar" is: Gin, Rum, Whiskey, Vodka and maybe Tequila, plus a few things to mix in. Vermouth, Bitters, Tonic Water, Lemon and/or Lime juice, Cranberry Juice, Coffee Liqueur and cola seem to be the big ones.

I figure "mid-shelf" is good enough since it's not like I'm going to drink any of it. It looks like 750mL bottles of brand names I've seen on the back of issues of Playboy are all like $12 - $25.

Handruin

Administrator
Next if she asks for a specific type of drink, are you prepared to make it, or will you have her fetch her own? Point being, are you skilled in preparing the right ratios etc so that you make a good drink? Good luck. I hope she doesn't get intoxicated in your place with all the stuff you bought. :)

Mercutio

I have an internet to tell me how to make things and also I think most guys would say that getting a tipsy, horny stripper to come to their apartment would mean things were going according to plan. :D

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
You'll be fine. My experience with strippers is they are after decent but cheap and don't have expensive tastes. Stripping is at best a small window job. A short period to make a lot of money then you are too old and you are out. Every stripper I've known was very aware of this. Strippers tend to hoard money. If you are too extravagent even on them they see it as a character flaw.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Damn, am I the only one that does not hang out with strippers? :frown:

Handruin

Administrator
Damn, am I the only one that does not hang out with strippers? :frown:

No, I don't hang out with strippers either. I've been to the nudie bars for different bachelor party occasions, but I don't know any of the females that work there. I'm also not judging Mercutio for doing so, but still express caution with whoever this girl may be so that she doesn't try anything shady on him.

LunarMist

I have never been to any such events, but I second your concerns.

ddrueding

Fixture
The bulk of my experience was knowing people socially who happened to have that profession. As a matter of fact, the first time I went to a strip club was to visit. That was interesting.

Mercutio

The bulk of my experience was knowing people socially who happened to have that profession. As a matter of fact, the first time I went to a strip club was to visit. That was interesting.

Yeah. That's the idea here too. I meet her at her, er, office, but not until she's back in civilian clothes and ready to head out for the day. And since I "belong" to her the other chicks there don't bother me. I might buy the girls who are working a shot or something but that costs me all of about $10. I'm not giving anybody in there money though.

LunarMist

That is overkill for your purposes. Anyway, it is bad form to try too hard.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
You should see her out of the wetsuit.
Phyllis was a stripper. She saved pretty much every dime.
I spent 10 years surfing with her at Sunset Beach. At the time she was pretty much the ONLY woman at Sunset Beach surfing.
When it was flat we would play tennis. A LOT of fun watching that incredible body bounce around in a bikini. She was also a very good tennis player and very strong.

While not your average stripper I learned a lot about the industry from her and enjoyed her company.

PhyllisDameron.jpg

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I have no suggestions for mixing drinks. Dark beers and wine make my GF happy. And I'm more than happy to not have to learn to make them. :)

fb

Storage is cool

fb

Storage is cool
My vote is irish whiskey over scotch anyday. Like fruits and vegetables, the older the scotch the worse the scotch! :)

:nono: :nono: ;)

I can't drink or even smell Irish whiskey, they only smell and taste alcohol. I don't like all single malts either, but a good whisky shouldn't taste alcohol at all and it's usually bottled at >=43%.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I'm sort of taking a tour and there are none I've met yet that I flat out didn't like. I just worked through a Glenlivet 12 year and it was quite different experience, someone else mentioned peaty and I don't disagree with that. Anyway I don't do the whole bar scene either, just private gatherings with friends. Anyway the day after I am afraid I'm agreeing the price on that is a bit steep for me right now.

ddrueding

Fixture
The Jameson 18 Limited Reserve went into the collection at the same time as the Macallen 15. I prefer either of them to any of the other Irish or Scotch whiskeys I have tried yet. The other night I tried an Islay malt (Lagavulin) and it was awful. When "wet dog" is an intentional tasting note you know you've gone off the deep end.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
The other night I tried an Islay malt (Lagavulin) and it was awful. When "wet dog" is an intentional tasting note you know you've gone off the deep end.

I have a friend that enjoys Islay malts. I can't stand to smell them let alone drink them.

Mercutio

My favorite webcomic on the subject of cheap booze. Half the lines in this strip are funny even without any context.

achewood-booze.gif

fb

Storage is cool
I'm sort of taking a tour and there are none I've met yet that I flat out didn't like. I just worked through a Glenlivet 12 year and it was quite different experience, someone else mentioned peaty and I don't disagree with that. Anyway I don't do the whole bar scene either, just private gatherings with friends. Anyway the day after I am afraid I'm agreeing the price on that is a bit steep for me right now.
The Glenlivet is very enjoyable, a very good all rounder. I don't know if I've recommended any Japanese whisky like the Yamazaki 12, but the Japanese usually makes very smooth and delicate whiskies. Unfortunately I haven't tried the Yamazaki 18 (it cost like a 2TB HDD here :) ) but it's probably OK too (even if older isn't always better.)

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
As has been suggested, try the Macallan at a pub first; the 18 yr sure is expensive, almost in Blue Label territory. Macallans have a smokey flavor because of the casks they are aged in. It works for me!

There's quite a difference between Glenlivet 12 & 18. Sadly, the price rises exponentially with age. Unlike Howell, I will not denigrate another's taste; to each his own.

I've never had an Islay malt, but I know people that swear by them. There's a hint of iodine, I believe, and in the end, it's all acquired taste.

The Johnny Walker 'xxx Label' brands are all blended. Personally, I prefer even a 12 yr single malt to Blue Label, which goes for $175 in duty free shops for a 750 ml bottle.

fb

Storage is cool
I've never had an Islay malt, but I know people that swear by them. There's a hint of iodine, I believe, and in the end, it's all acquired taste.
It depends, I think most people would enjoy a glass of Bruichladdich or Bowmore. It's the distilleries on the south coast, Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig that makes the peaty stuff. By the way, Talisker has a similar character to the south coast Islay whiskies even if it's from the Isle of Skye - just as a small warning (or recommendation.)

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah. That's the idea here too. I meet her at her, er, office, but not until she's back in civilian clothes and ready to head out for the day. And since I "belong" to her the other chicks there don't bother me. I might buy the girls who are working a shot or something but that costs me all of about $10. I'm not giving anybody in there money though.

Is this kind of like the vampire mythos where if they turn you you're theirs?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
It depends, I think most people would enjoy a glass of Bruichladdich or Bowmore. It's the distilleries on the south coast, Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig that makes the peaty stuff. By the way, Talisker has a similar character to the south coast Islay whiskies even if it's from the Isle of Skye - just as a small warning (or recommendation.)

Good you know! I think I stopped before trying any from the north. Back on the table!

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Firstly, any peat flavor in The Glenlivet 12yr is pretty mild. I used to buy it regularly, but in the end I just found it a bit boring for the price, which seemed to be ever-increasing. I found I got almost as much enjoyment from Glen Moray ("a subtle Speyside malt with fruity butterscotch notes"), a considerably cheaper albeit much younger single malt.

Secondly, commonly sold Talisker is just 10 years old, whereas Lagavulin is 16. Although there are strong similarities with peatiness, only Lagavulin combines seaweed, smoke and peat flavors. It's the most over-the-top experience of any drink I can remember, so it's probably my favorite single malt in my price range. But if you wince at the idea of sucking on a grapefruit, it's probably not the drink for your tastebuds. ;)

These days, I've eased right back and gone for the opposite end of the single malt scale: Dalwhinnie 15yr old. AFAIK this is one of the gentlest single malts around, yet it still satisfies - although I doubt it has enough complexity for FB. Back to back, it makes Jameson Irish Whiskey seem pretty basic (which of course being predominantly grain whiskey, it is).

fb

Storage is cool
Isn't peak like a kind-of coal? Why would you make a drink from coal?

Maybe this review of the Bruichladdich PC6 from Jim Murray's Whisky bible 2011 could answer your question? :) n=nose, t=taste, f=finish, b=balance. 25 points is the max in each category. Here's the review:

Port Charlotte PC6 db (96,5) n24,5 ohhhhh... arrrrrrrhh..... mmmmmmmmmm..... oh the peat, the peat...... yessssss...., oh my god......mmmmmmm..... ohhhhhhh.... t24 first you get the smoky... ooooohhhhhhh... arrrrrrrrrr..... then the sweeter mmmmmmmm..... arrrroooohhhh.... f24 it finishes with a more gentle arghoooo...... mmmmmmm..... oooophhhhhh..... arrrrrrrrrr.... b24 not many whiskies have a truly unmistakable nose.... and....., but this is, this........ is....... this..... mmmmmmmm.., arrrrrhh. Ohhhhhhhh........ 61,6%

Mercutio

I work with a bunch of professional drinkers. Every year my office holiday party is an exercise in middle aged woman public intoxication.
This year, instead of some kind of monetary bonus, I was given a 30 year old bottle of Scotch. :twistd:

A few years before I was given an expensive bottle of Tequila and a Ham, but that year at least I got a ham. I have no idea what I'm going to do with this Scotch.

Ironically, I do keep some booze around my place now: I have a few $20 bottles of standard drinker things like Gin, Vodka and Rum, plus a few bottles of what I'm told is decent beer, but that stuff is for simple hospitality's sake.

ddrueding

Fixture
A bottle of Scotch will make a nice addition to your collection. It makes up about 50% of mine at the moment (discounting wine, and there is no beer).

For those of us that geek out in that particular way, what is it?

fb

Storage is cool
Laphroaig? You should enjoy it with some friends.

You could try some Lagavulin, Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10 and/or Laphroaig Quarter Cask in a bar, if you're not already acquainted with the Islay style.

ddrueding

Fixture
Interesting that they gave you the one famous for being the most "acquired" of tastes. I've drank bottles of Scotch, and I am far from acquiring said taste.

The tasting notes I remember are smoked fish, peat, bonfire smoke, and oak-iness. Near $750 a bottle, IIRC.