Something Random

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I wonder where I can get a 120mm squirrel cage fan for my CPU heatsink? It would be an interesting comparison test but I've never seen one. Noise is not a factor to me; There is plenty of room in the case I use; and I do care about cooling my OC'ed processors...

Maybe Sunon has something you can use

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Got sick of GNOME3 (and gnome-shell) and switched my netbook to use xfce instead. Good to have some control back.

I haven't used GNOME in years, but I like KDE 4.6 a lot. I've been running KDE since 4.2 and couldn't be happier. I have to use Windows XP at work and it pisses me off every day. I would much rather have a linux based system with KDE, but pigs will fly first.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I haven't used GNOME in years..
I would recommend that you continue to use KDE.

I've been using GNOME3 fulltime for a few weeks, and still can't get used to it. Also the amount of settings removed that allow for tweaking is just incredible. The killer one for me, was removal of the DPI setting.

On the netbook, I use 72dpi, but GNOME3 insisted on 96dpi, making all fonts and text too large. The only way to fix it, was to use overrides at the X11 level (eg, modify your xorg.conf to manually set the dpi). And all the other items that broke from my normal workflow, made doing anything more time consuming.

Took about 45mins to get XFCE working how I needed, but most of that time was just going through the settings applet, and setting the settings I wanted.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I had a fun evening last night, acting as chaperone for my ex and a gaggle of drunken gay-ish girls. I've had perhaps 90 minutes of sleep in the last two days and I was out all night driving them around Chicago-area bars and strip clubs and the obligatory 2AM visit to Taco Bell. Around 3AM I was propositioned to be part of a foursome (and by that I mean "the best kind of foursome, if you're a dude"). I turned the girls down but I take it as a huge compliment that I look decent enough that the girls made the offer.

So that was pretty damned cool.

And now I'm going off the fuck to bed.

OK, one more: On that subject, Audible.com has Samuel L. Jackson reading the latter-day children's literary classic "Go the Fuck to Sleep" as a freebie this week. Totes worth the listen.

ddrueding

Fixture
I had a fun evening last night, acting as chaperone for my ex and a gaggle of drunken gay-ish girls. I've had perhaps 90 minutes of sleep in the last two days and I was out all night driving them around Chicago-area bars and strip clubs and the obligatory 2AM visit to Taco Bell. Around 3AM I was propositioned to be part of a foursome (and by that I mean "the best kind of foursome, if you're a dude"). I turned the girls down but I take it as a huge compliment that I look decent enough that the girls made the offer.

So that was pretty damned cool.

And now I'm going off the fuck to bed.

OK, one more: On that subject, Audible.com has Samuel L. Jackson reading the latter-day children's literary classic "Go the Fuck to Sleep" as a freebie this week. Totes worth the listen.

Very cool Merc! Were i single, i woulda gone for sure.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Damnit Merc! At your age I think it would have been a good idea and not much to lose.

LunarMist

I am practically dead from the last couple weeks of vacation travel. I flew over 5000 miles and then we drove more than 2400 miles in 8 days (I did 95% of the driving). There was barely time for about 4 hours of sleep each night on the road. Fortunately that rental vehicle had unlimited miles. :) I went through about $500 of gas though. I shot over 10K frames - nothing really special, but some good stuff nonetheless.

Mercutio

Damnit Merc! At your age I think it would have been a good idea and not much to lose.

None of them were remotely sober and bitter regrets the day after were the subject of much toasting a few hours earlier. Also, oddly enough, neither me nor a bunch of girls who like girls had any kind of contraception on hand.

It turns out that "Yes, I can write you a prescription for that" is an absolutely devastating pick up line.

I still haven't been to bed. I had too many red bulls. Instead I've been playing Wii boxing with whomever happens to be awake. Weeee.

LunarMist

Of course I do, but all this copying along with some other copying will take all day and night. :tdown:

Handruin

Administrator
None of them were remotely sober and bitter regrets the day after were the subject of much toasting a few hours earlier. Also, oddly enough, neither me nor a bunch of girls who like girls had any kind of contraception on hand.

It turns out that "Yes, I can write you a prescription for that" is an absolutely devastating pick up line.

I still haven't been to bed. I had too many red bulls. Instead I've been playing Wii boxing with whomever happens to be awake. Weeee.

Sounded like you had won the lotto but was not able to cash in your ticket! You don't need any contraception, just avoid the actions which make babies and have fun otherwise. I'm with ddrueding's opinion!

Mercutio

Sounded like you had won the lotto but was not able to cash in your ticket! You don't need any contraception, just avoid the actions which make babies and have fun otherwise. I'm with ddrueding's opinion!

I think I did the right thing. Though it was a nice ego boost.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Got sick of GNOME3 (and gnome-shell) and switched my netbook to use xfce instead. Good to have some control back.
Well, xfce didn't last long. Just saw it's memory footprint, and gasped. Now running window maker instead. Also got rid of "networkmanager" and replaced it with "wicd" instead, and the WLAN connection at Uni is absolutely rock-solid. (NM would drop out after about 30mins, and would need to restart the nm service to get connected again).

WM took a little longer to setup (mainly for finding the right dockapps to control volume and see wlan and battery status), but at boot and logged in am using just over 96MB of RAM with a usable desktop. (In contrast with xfce it was a little over 210MB of RAM, and gnome-shell (aka GNOME3) was hitting toward 290MB).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm using LXDE on my Linux box. I haven't check how much memory it uses, but I'm sure it's less than either Gnome, KDE or Xfce. At 210MB, Xfce isn't that bad. It has nothing to envy to Gnome. Same functionality for an 80MB lesser memory footprint is ok.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I know 300MB isn't that bad when compared to a modern Windows variant, but when you only have 1GB, using 1/3 of your RAM just for the OS/DE isn't ideal.

Anyway, I just learnt a cool trick in using 'udev' to automout USB keys with using any 3rd party volumn management software.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I hope none of you Aussies had a website with Distribute.it, because if you did, you no longer have one. A hacker deleted 4800 sites hosted there and the company didn't make backups.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I hope none of you Aussies had a website with Distribute.it, because if you did, you no longer have one. A hacker deleted 4800 sites hosted there and the company didn't make backups.

Nope, my stuff is on 110mb.com. But they freely admit, that they don't backup free accounts, and it's your responsibility to maintain your own backups.

LunarMist

Grrr. I'm rather upset with the illiterati this week. Does anybody use the subjunctive correctly this century? :mad: And just don't get me started about the horrific usage of reflexive pronouns. :bibber:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm very literate in my primary language, but I admit I'm partly illiterate in english. This forum is one of the only places I communicate in english so please be forgiving. That and sometimes with some of my stupid Chinese moronic suppliers, who are too retarded to understand that you have to learn the local language when you want to do business somewhere.

ddrueding

Fixture
Grrr. I'm rather upset with the illiterati this week. Does anybody use the subjunctive correctly this century? :mad: And just don't get me started about the horrific usage of reflexive pronouns. :bibber:

I had to Google both of those ;)

My English-major family (both parents, grandmother and sister) would be most displeased.

LunarMist

The shopping helper wants me to buy a DVD burner for no apparent reason. :cyclop: