Something Random

Stereodude

Not really a
Grrr. I'm rather upset with the illiterati this week. Does anybody use the subjunctive correctly this century? :mad: And just don't get me started about the horrific usage of reflexive pronouns. :bibber:
Coming from someone who can't spell SandForce, I'm not sure if I should take this post seriously or not.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
At 9:38PM, I got a call from some random person that they were attempting to make an Amazon delivery to my office. They were lost and wanted directions.The person identified told me that he works for a company called Esenda and that his company was contracted to make deliveries for Amazon. I let the guy know that he was dealing with a business address and that there wasn't going to be anyone there, and that the package was too valuable to just leave sitting outside. I didn't say that twenty to 10 on a Saturday isn't a time normal humans want to be getting bothered by delivery people, but doesn't that kind of go without saying?

Amazon shows that a delivery attempt had been made at around 1PM yesterday, but my office was full of people yesterday and obviously nobody stopped by.

Anyway, since I was out and about, I drove by my office and sure enogh, there was a box with my name on it with $3200 worth of computer parts in it sitting by a door to the building. Not even the right door. The door to another business.

A little googling says I'm not the only person who has had a problem with these fuckheads. I'm posting here because apparently Amazon has started to use a number of really crappy third-rate delivery companies and these things are becoming more and more common, and that sucks.

Mercutio

I hope none of you Aussies had a website with Distribute.it, because if you did, you no longer have one. A hacker deleted 4800 sites hosted there and the company didn't make backups.

Journalspace was a huge site for a while. The reason they went down the tubes is that one of their admins had decided that the only data continuity they needed was RAID1 and another admin deleted their database after he was fired and before they took his access away.

Sometimes you just shake your head and wonder how those people got jobs in the first place.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Regarding your experience with Esenda, it never ceases to amaze me how companies do totally stupid things virtually guaranteed to piss off customers to save what probably amounts to pennies in the short term (and in all likelihood costs them more than they save in the long term). This includes things like outsourcing your customer service to (insert third world country of your choice), replacing a part which is known to work well with something questionable which breaks after you use the product twice, not bothering to properly package items known to be easily damaged in shipped (hello Newegg-hard drives can't be packaged the same as rubber bands), contracting out parts of your business to questionable contractors with no track record, eliminating in-house product development and quality control, selling your information to "associates" who bother you nonstop with telemarketing calls, and on and on. I very rarely see anything but disaster when companies do these things, yet time and again they never learn from their mistakes. Often, the supposed savings are more than offset by unhappy customers taking their business elsewhere. All this in my opinion is a product of the "next quarter" thinking which has permeated the business world. Businesses no longer plan or think in terms of years or decades. It's always what expenses can we cut right now so the next quarterly statement shows more profit. By the time the company folds, the CEO who made these cuts already has his/her bonus, and has moved on to the next victim.

And BTW, if that had been me, I think I would have chewed the guy's head off for calling me at such an ungodly hour. Last time someone pulled a stunt like that with me, I actually got a call from their supervisor a few days later about how the person was so "upset" by my cursing them out that they were crying. I politely told the supervisor he could go fuck himself too, and his employees should know better than to call someone at 8 AM on a Saturday (actually 8 AM on any day, unless it's a place of business which my home number certainly isn't).

Complain Merc, loudly and often, whenever you're at the receiving end of this kind of half-assed "service". I'm just getting so sick and tired of the Mickey Mouse way even large businesses operate nowadays.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I turn the Balckberry off on the weekends if I'm not travelling on business. Surely they don't have a personal phone number?

Mercutio

I really need to sit down and start looking for a different job. Which will probably mean moving someplace else and lots of other bothersome crap. I cannot summon the enthusiasm to get started.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I really need to sit down and start looking for a different job. Which will probably mean moving someplace else and lots of other bothersome crap. I cannot summon the enthusiasm to get started.

Start in Chicago. That way you don't even need to move right away if you don't want to.

ddrueding

Fixture
The unemployment rate in Silicon Valley is back down to the single-digits for tech folks. I do think you would enjoy San Francisco or Santa Cruz.

Mercutio

My thinking is that I'd do better someplace where the salaries are inflated beyond reason due to high cost of living. The advantage would translate into a huge bonus for retirement savings when I relocate to whatever part of BFE I might ultimately choose for a retirement destination.

Mercutio

Where I live now, we have a high cost of living but also salaries that are based on the state rather than regional values. So things like food and gas are very expensive vs. lower than normal salaries. That's the worst of both worlds.

I'd take a job if it meant I got to move to Canada, for sure.

ddrueding

Fixture
Victoria City is beautiful. Salaries around here are pretty darned good, and the geek culture is so pervasive that you might be more comfortable in general.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It rarely snows at Vancouver. It's the same climate as Seatle (both cities are quite close). You could ask Groltz about it if you still have his contact informations.

And with the retard that Harper is as a Prime Minister, Canada isn't such a decent country. He's like a tall G.W. Bush with a broom stuck in his ass.

LunarMist

I'm thinking about moving Canada in 2012-14 if I can get nominated. :(

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't move to PNW if you like the sun or even have a little SAD. I'm told the turn over is high because people move there because of the nice weather during their visit without realizing that was the only sunny three days that month.

LunarMist

You don't have to have politics, you can have women. And some of them Canadians have nice racks. ;)

LunarMist

So my package is in the limbo. It went from Memphis to practically all over the country and is back in Memphis again. :mad: What is so great about Memphis; is it waiting for Elvis to rise from the dead?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
While waiting for a huge download to complete, I won 18 FreeCell games in a row. If I reach 20, do you think I'll deserve a life achievement award?

Damn I bored.

LunarMist

Do you ever seek entertainment such as movies, sporting events, concerts, etc.? What about activities with friends and family? What are you doing on Friday for the holiday?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
When I wrote that, I waas waiting for a download to complete and it was 25 past midnight. There's no movies playing at that hour around here and I won't call anyone that late. It's quite late to take a beer on a Tuesday night too. I do all the things you mention when the time is appropriate.

And I made it to 20 so where's my f**king trophy!

Handruin

Administrator
trophy.jpg

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
So my package is in the limbo. It went from Memphis to practically all over the country and is back in Memphis again. :mad: What is so great about Memphis; is it waiting for Elvis to rise from the dead?

It's a homing package and went back to HQ. Could have been worse, could have flown away to the big city to become one of those free exotic urban packages.

Handruin

Administrator
Why not go out with your lady friends? Not to rub it in, but I think this weekend is going to be fantastic.

ddrueding

Fixture
While it is unfortunate that many will use this weekend as an excuse to be stupid, I plan on having some fun. Helping a friend shop for an airplane, buying some furniture, should be ok.

Mercutio

Why not go out with your lady friends? Not to rub it in, but I think this weekend is going to be fantastic.

My ex is moving to Pennsylvania and other ladies that I know are busy doing holiday stuff.
My apartment is clean. I have no contracting work to get done. It's going to be hot and humid and there probably hasn't been a 10 minute period of time any time in the last two weeks when there hasn't been a firework exploding somewhere within a one block radius of my apartment.
Because of diet crap I don't even have decent food to look forward to.

So anyway, this will be a stupid weekend.

Handruin

Administrator
My ex is moving to Pennsylvania and other ladies that I know are busy doing holiday stuff.
My apartment is clean. I have no contracting work to get done. It's going to be hot and humid and there probably hasn't been a 10 minute period of time any time in the last two weeks when there hasn't been a firework exploding somewhere within a one block radius of my apartment.
Because of diet crap I don't even have decent food to look forward to.

So anyway, this will be a stupid weekend.

There is a lot of your own mindset that will affect your weekend. If you know it will already be stupid, you'll only make it that way. You always seem to lead everything with a negative outlook which will help perpetuate a negative outcome.

timwhit's idea sounds perfect to me if you can't find anything else to do.

Mercutio

The fucking fireworks started a month ago. They've been going on for a month and they won't stop until about the time that all the inbred wombshits are rounded up and forced back into their schools.

Everything about this holiday sucks.