Something Random

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
How fast do they decelerate to zero?
Maximum emergency braking rate depends upon track adhesion. Adhesion varies with speed (it's way less at high speeds). On good track, figure you can obtain an average deceleration of around 0.1g (2.2 mph/sec). At that rate, it'll take you about 4 km to stop from 320 km/hr. A more typical service stop from 320 km/hr would cover 5 signaling blocks ( ~7.5 km ), with the entry speeds from the first to last block being as follows- 320...300...270...220...160. You enter the last block at 160 km/hr, and stop by the end of the block.

It's an understatement to say these things don't stop on a dime. They still stop way better than your typical American freight train, which might take upwards of a mile to brake from 60 mph to a dead stop.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
It's an understatement to say these things don't stop on a dime. They still stop way better than your typical American freight train, which might take upwards of a mile to brake from 60 mph to a dead stop.

There is a huge difference between a TGV and an American freight train. The freight train is pulling over 3000 tons of freight. Fully loaded TGVs weigh about 481 tons.
I would think stopping anything weighing 3000+ tons from 60 MPH in less than a mile is pretty damm good.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Exactly. La Perla is kind of pricey and she likes those for some reason.

ddrueding

Fixture
I happen to be a fan myself, but going without at home is better and cheaper. And as for what is best under clothes, those tend to be in the ~$50 range.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm currently arguing with Fedex over the definition of a "reasonable" delivery attempt to my workplace.

They said they made their first delivery attempt at 8:16PM on Thursday. At my office, mind you. That's eight at night.

They said they made their second attempt at 3:28PM on Friday. The driver said the office was closed. There were at least three people there and none of them saw the Fedex truck.

They said they made a third attempt today at 3:07PM and said our office was closed again. I was in the office at 3:07PM along with a bunch of other people and oddly enough I don't remember seeing a FedEx guy.

I don't know what the hell is going on but it's pissing me off quite severely.

ddrueding

Fixture
Good thing the weather is mild tonight. I have a 3sq.ft. hole in my ceiling and a matching one in my roof. I can throw a ball from my kitchen and have it land in the backyard.

ddrueding

Fixture
Good thing I do the cooking; she it too light to be near it. I don't have that problem ;)

Though I will have to be careful flipping pancakes, or they will end up on the roof!

Honestly, it is variable-speed, and will hardly ever go full-blast. Due to the complex and completely custom nature of the design, I had no idea how much fan I would need, so I got enough.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I think he just wants to see a blender with enough silent suction power to hold the food in place while upside down and making a puree just so he can surprise the cook at the stove when he turns it off with a remote switch.

ddrueding

Fixture
The fan speed controller actually is part of the home automation system ;)

I haven't wired it up yet; the original controller can't handle the power.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
690W, yeah i don't think any domestic controller would be expecting that. On a plus note more than enough flow to cool a 4KW bulbed cinema grade projector.

You probably want some kind of grate on the entry to that.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
It's not just air flow which matters but also static pressure. A great example might be comparing a bladed fan to a squirrel cage blower. The fan might move more air under no back pressure for any given power consumption. However, if you stick it in a long duct, it may move next to nothing. Same thing with pushing air through a heat sink with closely-spaced fins, such as in an air conditioner. A bladed fan won't do squat. That's why they use squirrel cage blowers, at least for the cold-side heat exchanger.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I wonder where I can get a 120mm squirrel cage fan for my CPU heatsink? It would be an interesting comparison test but I've never seen one. Noise is not a factor to me; There is plenty of room in the case I use; and I do care about cooling my OC'ed processors...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
What's the socket of your motherboard? There are extremely goood heatsinks out there, many of which are not very expensive. What's your budget?

Last edited:

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
What's the socket of your motherboard? There are extremely goood heatsinks out there, many of which are not very expensive. What's your budget?

I already have several very good heat sinks (the most recent one I got was a Noctura NH-D14 that I have not even installed because I haven't built the machine yet).

I really don't have a problem to be solved. It was just curiosity as to squirrel cage fans vs fan blades in a CPU cooling application. So, of course the budget is minimal i.e. just the cost of the 120mm squirrel cage fan to play with.

ddrueding

Fixture
Static pressure is the main problem that the push-pull heatsinks were meant to solve. A few of my 1U server chassis have a bank of squirrel cage fans in them to deal with pushing air through all the cracks.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Just refinanced our mortgage down to a 3.875% 15-year with no points. Roundpoint Mortgage is really good to work with if any of you guys are thinking about it. Rates are pretty damn low, even lower than when we locked ours in.

ddrueding

Fixture
I intend to refi as soon as I can, but I need to get the house presentable first. A kitchen and a heater are things that they like to see. ;)

I would secure some temporary financing to complete the house if I felt the rates would be going up any time soon, but I don't.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I wonder where I can get a 120mm squirrel cage fan for my CPU heatsink? It would be an interesting comparison test but I've never seen one. Noise is not a factor to me; There is plenty of room in the case I use; and I do care about cooling my OC'ed processors...

I had two of these in a server case for years. I picked mine up at Radio Shack. Don't know if they still stock them or not.